Trunk carpet for 1985 3.2?

Stepo

I need to replace my trunk carpet and thinking of getting it from Lakewell along with a new set of sunvisors.            https://www.lakewell.com/en/porsche/911/84-89

No doubt the previous owner fitted what I have now which is deep black carpet but when I check Lakewell they say the standard was Charcoal Perlon Felt (130 Euro + frt) up to 85 with Black Sliverknit Velour (182 Euro + frt) on turbo models.  I would have thought 84 to 86 should all be the same style, interested in feedback for what people think the correct carpet style should be in these cars.  Would they have really used just one carpet style in all the various colours for the narrow body?

I see Auto Atlanta offer another range of styles, black sliver knit (704 USD + frt) up to 86 with no mention of specific to turbo and black plush (415 USD + frt), expecting the plush is Lakewell's version of Perlon Felt      http://www.autoatlanta.com/results.php?partnumber2=trunk carpet&narrowcar=911 1984-86

I'm suspecting Charcoal Perlon Felt (more a dark grey look?) is probably more accurate for 1985 but expecting it will be thinner than the Sliverknit.  I like the idea of the darker black to match my interior with a thicker pile but interested in what others might think is period correct before I take the plunge.

Edited by Stepo
English nazis

You're on your own there .. sorry!

Im about to order a new carpet set for my 924 and I'll be going with aftermarket stuff. It's too hard for me to find Slivernit for a RHD 924, so regular modern stuff it is for me.

At least mine is easy .. It's Black .. 

I used Lakewell leather seat covers in my 993 resto project, they were good to deal with, delivery 2 weeks late but that was in the heightened Covid period. 
I find that the standard Frunk carpet in early cars and 993’s is not up to Porsche standard so I made 2 side covers from 2mm ABS and the rear bulkhead cover in fibreglass. The carpet is Porsche square weave, 

11C891C0-5561-49C1-9773-6AE773288A0C.jpeg

16 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

I used Lakewell leather seat covers in my 993 resto project, they were good to deal with, delivery 2 weeks late but that was in the heightened Covid period. 
I find that the standard Frunk carpet in early cars and 993’s is not up to Porsche standard so I made 2 side covers from 2mm ABS and the rear bulkhead cover in fibreglass. The carpet is Porsche square weave, 

That's a bloody beautiful upgrade on your 993 @WB997.2GTS, very neat work, would love to see her in the flesh.

16 hours ago, Peter M said:

Peter,

Charcoal Perlon Felt is correct for a 1985.  You are correct that it is very thin.  If that worries you I suggest you just cut a piece of underlay or similar to go underneath. 

RIMG0032.JPG

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Pete. 

Ronny has me thinking......I only need to address my trunk carpet given I removed the strut brace when I replaced all the shocks and am left with holes in the two side carpets.  Before pushing the button on Lakewell, I'll see if I can get someone local to match what I have, thanks for your feedback mate.

That thicker carpet sits a lot better than the thinner crap they gave us in the early cars Merv, it's probably closer to what I currently have for my main piece so will push on and try and match new side pieces if I can.  

I see you all have the main piece with clips at the back, I only have the clips on the sides so hoping I have the females there to retrofit as I do find my carpet sliding towards the front all the time.

16 hours ago, Merv said:

Mine is is from 88 and slightly different.  This is before I had the carpet cleaned.

IMG_8287.jpeg

if it helps at all, this is the same as my 86 turbo.

On 16/06/2021 at 18:38, WB997.2GTS said:

How is the quality of the seat covers? and are they "easy" to fit?

3 hours ago, Scott930 said:

How is the quality of the seat covers? and are they "easy" to fit?

It does help, going by the Lakewell comments, looks like turbos got the Velour which is thicker instead of the thin felt.

3 hours ago, sus911 said:

I bought their sun visors. Pretty expensive nearly $400 by the time I got them & intl bank fees blah blah blah.

Quality is beautiful.

I read somewhere that Porsche charge $500ea so $400 for a pair of something that is right in front of your driving view works for me.  Gald to have some feedback that they are good quality 👍

22 hours ago, Merv said:

Mine is is from 88 and slightly different.  This is before I had the carpet cleaned.

IMG_8287.jpeg

How'd you go about getting the carpet cleaned? I'm wanting to do the same. Mines the same as that

Can anyone show me where and how the female part of the buttons are mounted to hold the main carpet up against the firewall?

Is there a specific metal bracket that's there only for the carpet or does it mount on some other fixture?

That's interesting, the plot thickens, I don't have a blower motor cover so no wonder no studs 😢.

I see you pulled the pic from Design 911 Scott, looks like around $500 AUD if I go down that path and their visors don't look as good as Lakewell, a bit too chunky.

I should probably get all crafty and make a cover, time is my enemy but will look into it, thanks for the intel

Just now, Stepo said:

That's interesting, the plot thickens, I don't have a blower motor cover so no wonder no studs 😢.

I see you pulled the pic from Design 911 Scott, looks like around $500 AUD if I go down that path and their visors don't look as good as Lakewell, a bit too chunky.

I should probably get all crafty and make a cover, time is my enemy but will look into it, thanks for the intel

you can get the idea from this video, obviousy different carpet, but clips in same way to looks like normal "factory" press studs..

Carbone - How To Fit A Trunk Mat In Porsche 911? - YouTube

That looks like mine. Are there any Porsche wreckers around?  There may be some second hand ones that are correct? On the carpet cleaning I took it to a guy who steam cleans flat rugs and kilims. He washed and dried it very cheaply.  You could even chuck in some black dye if yours was faded.

• 1 month later...

Just an update, I found carpet locally that was a good match to my base piece so moved forward and replaced just the side pieces that were in a mess after my struts being replaced.  I think the period correct felt is pretty thin compared to what I have so no point going backwards.

I've ordered my sun visors from Lakewell and it worked out to near $400.  If anyone is interested, I will have a good passenger side visor to offload (mirror has been replaced), although expect most will want the drivers side which is more commonly down and ends up puffy.

KYKM4ec.jpg