SCAM Alert on WTB ads

Mondo74

7 hours ago, MR901 said:

Warning.....we appear to have more scammers amongst us !! I recently posted a WTB advert for a single 17" wheel & was contacted by a member (Sean) referring me to his brother (jasonallan075@gmail.com) who had a 17" wheel. After some back & forth a price was agreed & funds sent to a bank account in Queensland. Both Sean & Jason have since fallen off the face of the planet & I'm without a spare wheel for the Great Tarmac Rally.

My fault for being too quick & ignoring the warning signs....I was too happy to have solved my wheel problem & now back to square one !!!

Over the years I've bought thousands of dollars in parts from PFA members & always found the encounters to be excellent.....unfortunately will be more cautious going forward.

Cheers,

Matt

You're the canary in the coalmine Matt .... it's everywhere, Sign of the times and mark it down to "educational experience"!

Unfotunately its rife on online forums.

From my experience.

I try to buy local only and pay cash on pickup.

Only from long standing members with good history.

Ask someone for a favour to eyeball the item if interstate.

But yes FOMO can make want to forget all of the above.

Buyers remorse is strong with me.

yep i put up a WTB add here and on fb just ridiculous the scam attempts and possibly i may have upset a few real sellers whilst i was trying to work out if they existed or not, but need to feel comfortable.  The scams I have encountered are always in Cairns Perth or Darwin where its more difficult for someone from Syd to validate part and seller, once i ask if someone can drop by (even if i dont have anyone local) or do a facetime to review the part and seller, most just start ghosting me.

Was trying to help a client reduce the cost on a track damaged repair not covered by insurance, however we just bit the bullet and bought a new part from Porsche.

I had a private message response to my WTB ad on 23 sep from a "Sean Allan" referring me to a Jason Allan (jasonallan075@gmail.com). Initially the response sounded credible but answers to my further questions seemed odd, English was bad and the request for PayPal payment was a bit too urgent so I finally realised it was a scam attempt. Strangely the original private message disappeared after I ignored several further emails asking if I still wanted to go ahead. I hadn't seen this thread so fortunately avoided being a victim.

I got another offer from another private message for same ad again this week, virtually same opening lines but I deleted it out of my junk so don't remember the name. also the private message has again dissapeared.