SCAM Alert on WTB ads

Mondo74

guys, just a heads-up to be careful when getting a referral on WTB ads. just had one on a set of wheels that i picked up luckily. Got a referral from Kevin113 which was totally bogus. 

i was so keen too, luckily i paused for a sec and double checked everything. 

2 hours ago, Joz said:

Is this like I have what you want just transfer me the money and the goods are on the way?

It was a case of nothing was too hard. Postage. Customs. Packing etc. Until I asked for pics of the wheels with my name on a piece of paper next to it. All of a sudden was too hard lol.

19 hours ago, Mondo74 said:

It was a case of nothing was too hard. Postage. Customs. Packing etc. Until I asked for pics of the wheels with my name on a piece of paper next to it. All of a sudden was too hard lol.

Amazing how scammers can find forums where costly items are bought and sold.

I used to be a mod on another forum where most of our work was filtering out scams.

Hard to totally escape them, yet scammers and spammers are just filth of the earth in my opinion.

I personally think there should be some sort of questionnaire to become a member here. We have it on Classic Porsche Australia Facebook page, and it seems to work pretty well from what I can tell

15 hours ago, LeeM said:

Hard to totally escape them, yet scammers and spammers are just filth of the earth in my opinion.

I personally think there should be some sort of questionnaire to become a member here. We have it on Classic Porsche Australia Facebook page, and it seems to work pretty well from what I can tell

It may keep the bots out but the genuine sneaky buggers still get through.

Also be careful of scammers when asking for the "name on a piece of paper" verification. 

Speed Academy on You Tube recently posted a video of exactly this, where a scammer photo-shopped in the name & date verification paper, a local ID and even a Canadian phone number.

Scammers are the worst

• 8 months later...
10 hours ago, tk111 said:

@LeeM

richydon

sent me this, he just joined the forum and this was his first interaction. A quick google identified him as suspect elsewhere. 

image.png.02366d78f1bf8e9d8285516f77d432ef.png

Can you report his name via your messages? 

I've tried to find him with no luck so far. Can any other mods help please? 

• 1 year later...

Warning.....we appear to have more scammers amongst us !! I recently posted a WTB advert for a single 17" wheel & was contacted by a member (Sean) referring me to his brother (jasonallan075@gmail.com) who had a 17" wheel. After some back & forth a price was agreed & funds sent to a bank account in Queensland. Both Sean & Jason have since fallen off the face of the planet & I'm without a spare wheel for the Great Tarmac Rally.

My fault for being too quick & ignoring the warning signs....I was too happy to have solved my wheel problem & now back to square one !!!

Over the years I've bought thousands of dollars in parts from PFA members & always found the encounters to be excellent.....unfortunately will be more cautious going forward.

Cheers,

Matt

Ugh! Sorry that's happened to you Matt

Unfortunately, it seems this is rife everywhere when buying or selling bits n pieces.

Facebook Marketplace is one of THE worst places for scammers as I've found out recently when buying and selling, yet I've also been involved in a scam before on Ebay via my Paypal account which had been hacked, though fortunately not me who lost out, but the scammers got thousands out of people via an account they'd set up with my name, so I had no option but to delete my ebay and PayPal accounts. Ebay tried taking me to court and I was investigated by the feds or whoever was telling me I'm in big trouble, yet they finally realised I'd been hacked and dropped any further investigations. I'll never buy from eBay again that's for sure. The weird thing is now, that I still get PayPal emails telling me the ATO need all my personal information for tax and scam protection reasons, so I'm sure it's hackers trying to access my accounts. Of course being wary of anything and anyone, I'm not replying to any emails or messages from anyone I don't know personally, and I never, ever buy anything online with my accounts. My missus buys from Amazon with a one time debit/credit(?) card she puts $X amount on so that nothing is ever linked to our accounts. 

You just can't be too careful these days, and we are as diligent as possible on here when these scammers are saying/replying to wanted or sale ads with "Oh yeah, my mate Jimmy has one of them", yet sometimes they slip through the cracks when one of us hasn't seen a post or whatever. 9 times outta 10, if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Again, sorry it's happened to you, and I'd definitely make sure your accounts are secure, as these assholes are very good at hacking bank accounts and your online persona.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Lee.....lucky it was a relatively small amount but annoying (& embarrassing) all the same !!! I was busy & happy to solve a problem quickly. Have learnt my lesson & hope others can also learn / be aware as a result of my post....

Cheers,

Matt 

I recently sold a caravan on caravancampingsales.com.au and wow I got hammered with about 10 clearly dodgy “buyers”, everything from the dude working on an oil rig to the sailor away at sea, I’ll PayPal the money and send my brother to collect to all sorts of cock and bull crap.  Felt like it was automated, as soon as the ad appeared, the messages started.  

I also used FB marketplace recently to sell a few small items and that was even worse.

Sold the caravan to a guy who actually used the phone and made a phone call, then came and inspected and we shook hands on a deal.  Novel approach……..🤷‍♂️

29 minutes ago, DJM said:

I recently sold a caravan on caravancampingsales.com.au and wow I got hammered with about 10 clearly dodgy “buyers”, everything from the dude working on an oil rig to the sailor away at sea, I’ll PayPal the money and send my brother to collect to all sorts of cock and bull crap.  Felt like it was automated, as soon as the ad appeared, the messages started.  

I also used FB marketplace recently to sell a few small items and that was even worse.

Sold the caravan to a guy who actually used the phone and made a phone call, then came and inspected and we shook hands on a deal.  Novel approach……..🤷‍♂️

Hoping for same result tomorrow with our van 🙂