911 SC Targa Opinions

Hi, 

I'm in the market for my first 911 and looking around at the budget end of the options, looking for a coupe or targa. 

Looking for something RHD, not too phased if factory RHD if its's a decent conversion. After something solid/rust free and mechanically sorted which I can jump in and daily drive without any concerns. 

This one on gumtree has caught my eye, any thoughts on it? The car is local to me so will be arranging to go have a look at it sometime. 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-adelaide/cars-vans-utes/porsche-911-sc-1981-targa/1277288389

At this stage not sure if the budget would stretch enough / worth paying the premium, for an Aussie delivered car like the one below currently on auction. 

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1982-porsche-911-sc-targa-1

13 hours ago, Raven said:

I would be going for the Aus Delivery concourse car , dont believe you could get a better example than that , well worth the extra cost and will only appreciate in value . 

What he said.  Whatever you spend on the other one, you’ll likely spend on the Gumtree car to get to what you might pay for the one on Collecting Cars if you’re looking for that condition.  I’ve nearly pressed “place bid” on that one over the last few days.  Looks like a good car. If you can make the money, go for that.  Always “cheaper” in the long run.  From one who knows …

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You can figure out what the cars are, the main thing is figuring out what you want.   If immaculate presentation is the goal, advice above is exactly on point.  If cheaper entry, future mods, track driving .. the perfect car is out there.  

Not trying to be clever but figuring out exactly the type of car you want will lead to Porsche success and happiness 

If I were in the market for a clean  white Targa, I would be worried that the Adelaide Gumtree seller will put his price UP.

The Sydney concourse winner sale price will drag up all prices, even for converted Dirty Imports, even though Targa's havent been highly sought after in past decades. 

On 13/01/2022 at 10:49, Coastr said:

Not trying to be clever but figuring out exactly the type of car you want will lead to Porsche success and happiness 

I'm not chasing an immaculate, show level car, nor am I after something to hit the track with. I'm after a 911 which is on the entry level end of pricing, ideally 120 or lower,  which has been well maintained & solid/rust free which I could safely put into daily driver duties. I've currently got a few old aircooled VWs all on club rego which I rotate through, no modern daily. Looking to add a 911 into the rotation as I'm after something fun to drive, my karmann ghia with its stock 40hp 1.2l looks the part but doesn't quite make for the most spirited driving. My kombi with its 2.3l is faster but is still not something that's ideal for a burn through the hills...

2 hours ago, wilson59 said:

Oooh, I hadn't seen that one come up, that's very nice! 

Erm I’ve no idea why I posted a giant font update, sorry about that 😕

if you’re going for a driver quality car you might find a really good one makes you drive it less .. I think you’ve dialled in what your after well

Yikes that orange 74 looks great.  Last year for the moveable quarter windows.  74s are underrated as first year g bodies IMO.  Jump on it!

5 hours ago, wilson59 said:

This is my old car sold to George .

Seller, has only undertaken the items listed as … in the last 6 months 

Happy too discuss if anyone interested 

p.s can also be matching numbers , if you can whistle 

PPS  mr crisp and cuddly Jeff seen the  car , I chased/pushed  them along on quite a fun drive With @tk111

23 hours ago, michel said:

This is my old car sold to George .

Seller, has only undertaken the items listed as … in the last 6 months 

Happy too discuss if anyone interested 

p.s can also be matching numbers , if you can whistle 

PPS  mr crisp and cuddly Jeff seen the  car , I chased/pushed  them along on quite a fun drive With @tk111

I could have sworn it was yours! Very tidy/nice car.