Cayman 987.2 exhaust options

Techno

I am in the market for an aftermarket system to suit the 2.9 motor. As the car is now coming up to 12 years old I suspect there is very little if any stock being held in Australia. I have not seen anything second hand. It looks like my only option is to order something from O/S and deal with freight cost and of course waiting time.

I am throwing this up in case anyone has another option I hadn't thought of. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

43 minutes ago, Techno said:

I am in the market for an aftermarket system to suit the 2.9 motor. As the car is now coming up to 12 years old I suspect there is very little if any stock being held in Australia. I have not seen anything second hand. It looks like my only option is to order something from O/S and deal with freight cost and of course waiting time.

I am throwing this up in case anyone has another option I hadn't thought of. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Autohaus Hamilton are now authorised reps for Carnewal I believe.  As I understand they will take your exhausts and modify them for you to Carnewal specs.  Refer @Arne Krix who is running one on his Cayman, although he imported his directly before AH was appointed IIRC

Techno

the .2 cars have the 2 catalytic converters in the headers and not in the rear exhaust as the .1 cars do, so our issues are more complex depending if you are searching for hp or to cure the ordinary sound track.

I have done quite a lot of research and just can’t find anything that makes any financial sense.

The carnewal mod is so effective on the .1 cars because he effectively removes a cat and creates a vacuum that gives the gurgle / pop sounds that sound so great. You can’t do that mod on the .2 cars as the cats are in the headers meaning you need to address the headers to open the system flow  up and then you are still left with a stock exhaust Porsche deliberately wanted to sound rubbish so people didn’t get a $110k 911.

if you just won lotto and want to overcapitalise on you car then fit BOTH the carnewal headers (with a single hks cat) in the larger cayman r size, and also stick an aftermarket exhaust on it. (Fab speed or similar). That will solve the HP and sound issues simultaneously and likely give that elusive gurgle / pop, but run to about $10-12k.

keen to hear where you get to, and please share any costing you get from autohaus so the rest of us lurkers can assess our options.

good luck.

48 minutes ago, 550Spyder said:

Techno

the .2 cars have the 2 catalytic converters in the headers and not in the rear exhaust as the .1 cars do, so our issues are more complex depending if you are searching for hp or to cure the ordinary sound track.

I have done quite a lot of research and just can’t find anything that makes any financial sense.

The carnewal mod is so effective on the .1 cars because he effectively removes a cat and creates a vacuum that gives the gurgle / pop sounds that sound so great. You can’t do that mod on the .2 cars as the cats are in the headers meaning you need to address the headers to open the system flow  up and then you are still left with a stock exhaust Porsche deliberately wanted to sound rubbish so people didn’t get a $110k 911.

if you just won lotto and want to overcapitalise on you car then fit BOTH the carnewal headers (with a single hks cat) in the larger cayman r size, and also stick an aftermarket exhaust on it. (Fab speed or similar). That will solve the HP and sound issues simultaneously and likely give that elusive gurgle / pop, but run to about $10-12k.

keen to hear where you get to, and please share any costing you get from autohaus so the rest of us lurkers can assess our options.

good luck.

Carneval has a sport exhaust option for version 2 cars. 

Absolutely they do, just can’t see it is the same value as on the .1 cars. You can’t modify what’s not there…

just doing some new research and looking at the soul exhaust people in the US who actually look and sound pretty good, and came across this which may be the go. 

Porsche 987.2 Cayman / Boxster Softronic ECU Tune

it is $995usd but has the pops and bangs option. From what I read, all the modern cars that are replacing traditional raw open exhaust sound with that snap crackle and pop on the overrun ( think n series i30 or AMG A45) which is all engine ignition (retardation) timing on the over run rather than exhaust routing.

while I am always greatly sceptical of the dark magic of tuners promising a bizillion extra hp from a ECU reflash, this might actually be the missing secret sauce for cayman and Boxster .2 owners.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Just to clarify, I am after better sound but I wouldn't say no to more HP but not a priority.

On the .2 the cats are in the headers so it probably doesn't make sense to send the mufflers off to be modified.

I will report back anything I find.

1 minute ago, Techno said:

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Just to clarify, I am after better sound but I wouldn't say no to more HP but not a priority.

On the .2 the cats are in the headers so it probably doesn't make sense to send the mufflers off to be modified.

I will report back anything I find.

Email Gert Carnewal directly in Belgium , he is very good on information. And yes , 550 Spyder , I had my Cayman ECU tuned / remapped in conjunction with the exhaust and some suspension work. The car is a beast on those hill climbs. It is not so much about HP gain , but much different engine response and torque.

1 hour ago, 550Spyder said:

Techno

good luck.

Just to pipe in here, 550Spyder. I have a Boxster S 987.1 car. Are you saying there is a simple solution to gain a better engine sound and extra power? How much extra power could you expect? I'm also looking at getting the Boxster Spyder suspension for my car. I may very well end up with a Spyder in all but name if I keep going! Mine would be a bit heavier, though...

I am always sceptical of tuners who can miraculously find 50 hp that the factory forgot, however if you take the later .2 cars as an example

boxster s in a 3.4 dfi engine = 310hp

same engine in the cayman = 315hp

same engine in spider = 320hp

same engine in the 981 Boxster s = 320hp

to the best of my research they are all the same engine hardware with no physical difference in engine and exhaust set up (the prior .1 cayman r did run bigger extractors to get to its higher power figure)

….. where is this hp coming from in identical engines, different states of ECU tune because it suits Porsches marketing strategy. So no I don’t think a guy in a garage can find a ton of hp that that Porsche couldn’t, but yes he can probably find the hp that they dummed down and maybe a few more ponies if you are prepared to run 98 octane and don’t have to pass the ADR tests to mass market your car. I would think 330hp is not unrealistic.

can a ecu tune “solve” the exhaust sound issue, well no it can’t as it is just 1’s and 0’s so can’t change the physics of the exhaust under most running conditions, but it can alter the timing on the over run (I.e. when you take your foot off the accelerator) to continue to pump fuel in and retard the ignition to produce a soundtrack that is a mix of gurgle, pops and bangs (as the AMG A45, Hyundai N i30 and BMW M3 all do in spades).

childish yes, but vs. $12k of new headers and exhaust I am pretty tempted to use this as a starting point. The Porsche ECU is adaptive so can learn and adjust the mapping for subsequent exhaust mods so there seems little downside.

6 hours ago, 550Spyder said:

….. where is this hp coming from in identical engines

I understand many people have commented that my butt-dyno is a finely tuned instrument, however I would struggle to notice a 5hp (or even 10hp) difference in these cars. 

I do love a snarly exhaust note, but for more hp, Better off losing some weight, improving suspension and having the balls to carry some extra corner speed. 

• 10 months later...
On 03/12/2022 at 22:17, withers said:

@Techno did you end up finding a hood solution to get more sound?

I ended up replacing the mufflers with much lighter and smaller ones. Had it done at a local exhaust shop.

Some improvement in sound but the Cats remain so not ideal. Maybe headers next.