Buying first 911

long time listener first time poster. long story short i have been looking into buying a 911 project car for a while now and im getting to a position where i might start actually going to look at stuff as funds are coming together, thats if i can find something? budget is between $5000 -10000 for a complete basket case and 10000-15000 for something slight better its all depending on the car and completeness i guess.

problem number 1 is im not sure what i want or what i should be looking for really, im a total porsche novice, currently im driving a 205 gti but want something quicker and rear wheel drive. im leaning towards something to modify as i always have modified my cars and enjoy it. having said that there seems to be a few cars out there around the 20-25k mark that arent to bad but it makes it a expensive starting point, well at least for me it does. im reasonabley handy when it comes to paint and mechanical and have plenty of backup so yes it may be the long road to buy a basket case and in the end it cost just as much if not more, but part of the fun for me is researching and chasing down the bits and being able to take my time. i would love a rsr replica

im guessing an early car will be out of my price range unless its completely stuffed and a later one will be too expensive so correct me if im wrong but i should be aiming for something in the middle between 1977 -1987 like a sc? i still havent got my head around all the different 911's yet and would appreciate any guidance to finding a good starting point. i would love a rs replica, i also know enough that if i found a good sc i would probley just restore it and leave it as is, i have read some good acticles on them, but something tells me i would want to change it sooner or later, so best stick with my intesion to modify a clapped out car and give it a new life. something a bit rough around the edges or an abandon project maybe? trying not to be to difficult but preferablely rhd and little to no rust, most other stuff i can handle.

looking back at what i just wrote i bet im not the only one who is looking for a car like this either!

i really like the look of this but its slightly over budget for me

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911-1972-/190790367422?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2c6bfdf8be

there also seems to be plenty of cars in NZ that look cheap has anyone brought stuff in from there to Oz?

i realise these question probley arise every now and then from new members but i have been searching and not getting anywhere quick enough, i just need a point in the right direction to save me wasting to much time looking for the wrong stuff or if i need a wake up call as im being unrealistic.

I don't know if a 944 interests you? You can get something really nice car for around the $20k mark (or cheaper if you look around) that will have been well maintained and fun to drive. They respond well to modifcations and there are heaps of aftermarket parts for them, brakes, body kits, suspension, if you get a turbo then tons of engine mods as well.

Some people don't like that look of the 944, but drive one before you write it off all together. Great place to start your Porsche ownership and move on to a 911 later.

Just a suggestion.

Hi,I could have a 87 930 going up for sale soon ,car was stolen once (not me) just going threw police & insurance headaches not sure what I'm left with yet but I can let you know ,I also have a fellow in wa who wants it and I have to give him first option ,after that it could be yours.cheers

I don't know if a 944 interests you? You can get something really nice car for around the $20k mark (or cheaper if you look around) that will have been well maintained and fun to drive. They respond well to modifcations and there are heaps of aftermarket parts for them, brakes, body kits, suspension, if you get a turbo then tons of engine mods as well.

Some people don't like that look of the 944, but drive one before you write it off all together. Great place to start your Porsche ownership and move on to a 911 later.

Just a suggestion.

thanks for the suggestion im sure that the 944 is a nice enough car but i have my heart set on a 911.

will need to research abit and see where the 930 and 912 fit into the picture, i have a very vague idea. im thinking the 930's had the slant nose? i really should get myself a good book or a good source of info onlne, can anyone recommend something?

This might help in the short term - http://911evolution.com/

Also look up Adrian Crawford on YouTube, he's done some great reviews. Good way to learn.

http://www.adriancrawford.co.uk/

There's the Pelican Parts website and forums www.pelicanparts.com - you may already know his one. There is sooooo much info on there it's crazy.

I got this book and its not bad - http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Book-Porsche-911/dp/0760339392/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Look up dedeporsche blog too or her Facebook page, she posts the coolest pics. Just because...

I'm just a baby in Porsche land, the guys might come along with far better resources!

i realise these question probley arise every now and then from new members but i have been searching and not getting anywhere quick enough, i just need a point in the right direction to save me wasting to much time looking for the wrong stuff or if i need a wake up call as im being unrealistic.

Hi Djvu205,

Welcome to the forum!

I am still yet to be convinced that you can build any 'project 911' on a 'low budget'. I get the idea and understand you can do alot of work yourself but these things still cost $$$. I have alot of friends that build 'low budget' motorbikes cars etc. from Japanese to euro - all swallow many dollars in doing so, there are some corners you can't afford to cut an that's where it all adds up.

My two cents is to keep saving and buy something thats worth throwing the money at, I know that's not your ideal and requires patience but I fear you'll regret buying the first 911 that comes up within your budget. Having said that you will only benefit in investing more time to learn about these cars, again corners you can't afford to cut.

I don't mean to be a nanny, if it were easy everyone would be driving around in a 911! (Thankfully they don't!).

i fully understand what your saying and i have considered this. i also understand if it was easy everyone would be on the same wagon, i dont give up easy. i have been on this forum on and off for the last 3 years but was occupied with buying and selling a few 205's. im not planning on buying the first thing that comes along and definately keeping something better in mind. i dont expect it to be a low budget build, i just need a low budget starting point. i have items to sell along the way which will fund the project if need be. im not one to cut corners and i wouldnt pursue a project this size if i thought i couldnt finish it

they way i see it, i could spend 20k 25k or 30k on a car that may seem ok, only to find that it needs work anyway. and from my experience in the motoring world most cars of this pedigree and age need rebuilding in one or more areas anyway.

what would be a realistic price for a rhd aust delivered car that needs some work?

This might help in the short term - http://911evolution.com/

Also look up Adrian Crawford on YouTube, he's done some great reviews. Good way to learn.

http://www.adriancrawford.co.uk/

There's the Pelican Parts website and forums www.pelicanparts.com - you may already know his one. There is sooooo much info on there it's crazy.

I got this book and its not bad - http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Book-Porsche-911/dp/0760339392/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Look up dedeporsche blog too or her Facebook page, she posts the coolest pics. Just because...

I'm just a baby in Porsche land, the guys might come along with far better resources!

thanks amanda lots of reading there

Djvu205,

Interesting discussion going on here, and I think you are lucky to have come into contact with this forum. A bit over 2 years ago I found my P car, having looked at a few over the previous 18 months. This forum helped me enormously with questions, that initially I thought were maybe a bit silly, but were welcomed.

There are some seriously knowledgeable people here, and you have the benefit of their experience. I have seen Hugh's car which is an absolute corker, and watched Vas rebuild his 930 online, and their knowledge of these things proves invaluable.

Good luck with the search,

Peter

what would be a realistic price for a rhd aust delivered car that needs some work?

Not an easy question to answer, define 'some work'? I would say that you will be spending 25k+ at least, that example you listed appears very tired and has non original engine etc. what kind of car do you want to end up with?

If your wanting to mod it and on a budget, I wouldn't necessarily bother chasing an oz del car.

Djvu205,

Interesting discussion going on here, and I think you are lucky to have come into contact with this forum. A bit over 2 years ago I found my P car, having looked at a few over the previous 18 months. This forum helped me enormously with questions, that initially I thought were maybe a bit silly, but were welcomed.

There are some seriously knowledgeable people here, and you have the benefit of their experience. I have seen Hugh's car which is an absolute corker, and watched Vas rebuild his 930 online, and their knowledge of these things proves invaluable.

Good luck with the search,

Peter

Thanks Peter!

i realise its early days for me yet and i respect everyones opinion, i hate to use the terminology but i guess im a classic example of a newb. i had to start the ball rolling so to speak so decided to put it out there and see what others thought. to be honest i have alway been pretty lucky with most cars i have owned and built. im definately in unknown territory here and dont want to make the mistake of buying myself a dud, which is why i am not dimissing hughs advice even if it seems like it. i appreciate everyones feed back and im egar to learn more. i guess if i do have impatience it more so learning whats what so i can make good decisions, not the impatience of racing out and buying the first car i see. im prepared to wait for the right car to come up and even miss out on the odd bargin im sure, due to my inexperience.

In the states the consensus is that very good SC/3.2 models are $20-25k cars, some are saying more. That's in a country with easy to source spares and wrecks for plundering.

In Oz the same cars are 40k upwards. For a very good base car.  So you pay now or pay later. Depends if you want to be using the car or have it on jackstands for years whilst you "do it up". $2 in = $1 out , and from what I have seen of the local market they don't sell easily if you have to bail out. Oz parts prices are often crazy,  but then again postage on OS prices can be stupid e.g. $300 postage for my exhaust upgrade...plus customs tax $250...

An full engine rebuild is $15-20k. 

A trans rebuild is not cheap, the gearboxes are quite often stuffed

Rust & paint & interior are $$$

The bolt ons are relatively easy but what about old fuel lines , wiring harness , electrical troubleshooting etc etc

They are old cars and have often been driven hard...or neglected (some garage queens in this category)

Lots of variables, and if you don't do the majority of the work yourself it is definitely an emotional investment. Some people can handle that , others lose spouses and houses in the process :<(

So consider your entry price , given that the chassis and a good strong engine /trans are the deal breakers.

The mid year cars ('74-77) are the cheapest but the 2.7L engine can be problematical unless sorted.

And many say don't get too hung up on the colour. A 911 is all about the driving experience.

Now , 944s - a different proposition altogether but they are very different to drive and own. But the entry price is more palatable.

Just do heaps of forum reading and get the cheap book "The used 911 story" by Peter Zimmerman for great info on strength sand weaknesses of all 911 models.

Best of luck and may your caveat be emptor! 

Not an easy question to answer, define 'some work'? I would say that you will be spending 25k+ at least, that example you listed appears very tired and has non original engine etc. what kind of car do you want to end up with?

If your wanting to mod it and on a budget, I wouldn't necessarily bother chasing an oz del car.

i realise its not the original motor and has the better tensioner and maybe even different box, i was looking at it as far as being a cheap rhd car to modify. i could have some fun with it and then put off road once i have accumulated the right parts. i havent looked into what involved in converting a lhd car but have had some experience here and not something i would like to do unless i have to. to be honest i really like the idea of a rs replica?

That red 77 looks like an ok project base in that it has already been modded with a new engine so it doesn't have much preservation value. But at 200k you'd have to expect the engine will need some spinners soonish.

The really cheap Porsches in oz are dogs that have many breeds of fleas. IMO you need to find one that is original but tired. You don't want to be spending money and time reversing some other klutz's mods.

Oh, I agree if you buy a LhD keep it LhD.

That red 77 looks like an ok project base in that it has already been modded with a new engine so it doesn't have much preservation value. But at 200k you'd have to expect the engine will need some spinners soonish.

The really cheap Porsches in oz are dogs that have many breeds of fleas. IMO you need to find one that is original but tired. You don't want to be spending money and time reversing some other klutz's mods.

Oh, I agree if you buy a LhD keep it LhD.

i was going to ring the guy tonight to arrange a meeting over the weekend but it seems its sold!

after a bit more research im beginning to think that the red 911 car i mentioned above would have been a good starting point for me. it was a 77 model so should have been a galvinised body but had the 3.0 motor which didnt inherit the problems of the 2.7. also if i wanted to spec it up as a rs i had the basics.

so i have decided that my criteria for a car is

1. 911 1973 - 77 model as these seem to be common enough and the right price for me. would prefer galvanised body but a good earlier car without to much rust would be ok.

2. RHD only. For my own silly reasons, but basically im just not into LHD cars, they dont fell right for me. not interested in converting one or buying a converted one either

3. Manual gearbox

after looking around the plan would be to maybe buy something tidy enough to drive now but long term would like to build a strong 3 ltr motor and box combo and perhaps a fit a rs body kit.

im also planning to up the budget a tad to 25k for something a little more reasonable. the rust stories i hear of the earlier cars worries me a bit. having fixed alot of early holdens im not new to major rust repairs but i am new to porsche rust repairs and where i might find it. dont get me wrong i would still buy a cheap basketcase if i could find one for the right price but im slowly coming around!

i like the look of this it the body was sound

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-1019282&Cr=3

Archived