Toyota's 86 FT Open...

I know they are a very highly regarded car, my brother works for Subaru and he ear bashed me months before they were due for release. I still find it hard to get excited about new cars though, kind of like shopping for white goods.

I know they are a very highly regarded car, my brother works for Subaru and he ear bashed me months before they were due for release. I still find it hard to get excited about new cars though, kind of like shopping for white goods.

The FT does look nice...but in a sterile sort of way.

I agree Hugh.  I've been meaning to change the DD, but honestly I find it a chore and just can't be bothered.  The P-car experience provides all the 'car satisfaction' for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Shame about the looks of the 86 / BRZ. MX5 dominates the looks dept IMO.

One is a clear boy racer rice bucket, and the other whilst being a hairdresser car in some eyes has good performance cred and again IMO looks fantastic (all versions) for what it is.

To me the Toyobaru looks great as a coupe, but lousy as a convertible.

I have a self-developed theorem of car design:

When the car is designed as a coupe and gets its roof lopped off, the result looks like a pram.  

When a car is designed as a convertible and has a roof added, the result is gorgeous.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived