Manual 992 GT3 Susten pass

7 minutes ago, MFX said:

Is it just me or does that seem like quite a tame run? I was waiting for him to get on it..

That car is barely walking as those speeds, hence why I was asking if the exuberant throttle blips were from him or the car - in either instance it seemed a little excessive given the sedate speed! 

Those speeds in an early 911 would be mildly more entertaining, although still relatively slow, you could at least get the revs happening under acceleration as opposed to the downshifts! 

I think he may have been in an awkward situation here.

In previous videos on his channel, he has not been afraid to give it the beans but this was an official Porsche video with over euro 100K of video equipment strapped to the outside of the car where corporate may not have seen it as appropriate (or legal), especially in Switzerland, to drive excessively over the speed limit.

Having driven those passes numerous times, you have to be careful where, and how much, you go crazy. Here is a short video of me attacking the Furka on one my trips where we had forward scouts and walkie-talkies!

Looking back on it I did some absolutely stupid shit on some of those roads when I was there. I'll be far more sedate next time. Helped that I didn't realise at the time that in Switzerland they lock you up and throw away the key. Sideways in a C63S is not the way to attack some of these roads.

I can say that Susten is more dangerous than it looks in the video. Important to realise that any mistake on these roads and you're likely dead. The drop-offs are huge, and brakes aren't going to save you. Doesn't help that all of these roads are super narrow too, a lot of it is 1.5 lanes hanging on the side of a cliff.

Oberalp Pass (one of the other Andermatt passes) is especially narrow and dicey. Had a truck coming the other way whilst in an i8, I had to reverse up about 60m before I could find a spot he could pass me and there was only 100mm to spare. Was fun trying to orchestrate 5 people lined up behind me to reverse!

Oberalp Pass, same trip, different day, different car. You can see here there are no guard rails, and usually no runoffs either.

20180923_145546.thumb.jpg.9833da20029c2a0a9af4499cd066c250.jpg

Susten Pass halfway up - can you tell I was pretty happy by this point? :Chuckle2:

2 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Looking back on it I did some absolutely stupid shit on some of those roads when I was there. I'll be far more sedate next time. Helped that I didn't realise at the time that in Switzerland they lock you up and throw away the key. Sideways in a C63S is not the way to attack some of these roads.

I can say that Susten is more dangerous than it looks in the video. Important to realise that any mistake on these roads and you're likely dead. The drop-offs are huge, and brakes aren't going to save you. Doesn't help that all of these roads are super narrow too, a lot of it is 1.5 lanes hanging on the side of a cliff.

Oberalp Pass (one of the other Andermatt passes) is especially narrow and dicey. Had a truck coming the other way whilst in an i8, I had to reverse up about 60m before I could find a spot he could pass me and there was only 100mm to spare. Was fun trying to orchestrate 5 people lined up behind me to reverse!

Oberalp Pass, same trip, different day, different car. You can see here there are no guard rails, and usually no runoffs either.

20180923_145546.thumb.jpg.9833da20029c2a0a9af4499cd066c250.jpg

Susten Pass halfway up - can you tell I was pretty happy by this point? :Chuckle2:

We drove Susten in September 22.  Audi A6 4 cylinder wagon FWD in the wet.  Torque steering toward the Armco was about as crazy as we got 😂

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Agree. You certainly get drawn into doing some silly stuff…but it was worth it!  The Furka, Grimsel and Susten Pass loop is one of the great drives. The Furka, Nufenen, Gottard loop is pretty good too. Not many people tend to do the Nufenen so it usually reasonably quiet in comparison. The Oberalp is probably my least favorite.

And what a town Andermatt is to base yourself for a few days to drive them. Good food, funky wine bars…terrific place. One of life’s must dos I reckon.

Photo of our three chariots on the Furka. This day was wet and snowy. The next day was dry as a bone.

B7B4EAED-061F-4A7E-B6F5-F8EB29A04157.jpeg