car insurance

Niko

For all interested, I think you may find it is worth a phone call. I recently enquired regarding comprehensive insurance for my Boxster with a company known as LUMLEY's. They have a LUMLEY SPECIAL VEHICLE division and are backed by WESTFARMERS GENERAL INSURANCE LIMITED.

I saved several hundred dollars on my existing policy which I was just about to renew. It was hard to leave my original insurer who I had been with for four cars over several years. However the same conditions were offered to me as my existing policy at a much reduced price.

LUMLEY's was recommended to me by a car enthusiast mate at Hanging Rock Car show.

I am not getting any kick backs from LUMLEY's, or benefit in anyway by passing this information on.

I suggested it to a friend last weekend who is in the PCV and has several Porsches and he is now saving over a thousand dollars with LUMLEY's.

PHONE NUMBER 133 578

Anyway for what it's worth ...make the call, and I think you will owe me a beer.

Regards,

Niko

Hi Niko,

Yes I have been with Lumleys for more than 10 years over 3 cars and always found them to be very competitive. Was with Shannons for a while but they wanted to increase the premium on one of my cars as I had put a set of extractors on. This was the catalyst for looking around and I found Lumleys through Brooklands in Sandringham which happened to be right beside where our office was at the time. When I got the 993 I got quotes from both and Lumleys were I about $400 cheaper. I guess you never really know what they are like until you have to claim but the policy is good with good provisions and they are underwritten by a good and well back company so thats really all you can go on.

Anyway after all that I agree with you, good advice!!!

:D:D

Cheers

Chris

Ps great photos you took at Sandown, well done!!

Hi Niko,

Yes I have been with Lumleys for more than 10 years over 3 cars and always found them to be very competitive. Was with Shannons for a while but they wanted to increase the premium on one of my cars as I had put a set of extractors on. This was the catalyst for looking around and I found Lumleys through Brooklands in Sandringham which happened to be right beside where our office was at the time. When I got the 993 I got quotes from both and Lumleys were I about $400 cheaper. I guess you never really know what they are like until you have to claim but the policy is good with good provisions and they are underwritten by a good and well back company so thats really all you can go on.

Anyway after all that I agree with you, good advice!!!

:D:D

Cheers

Chris

Ps great photos you took at Sandown, well done!!

Thanks Chris, re the photos from Sandown. I don't now why I hadn't heard about LUMLEYS before. I actually came in close to $500.00 better per year going with LUMLEY's than the policy I had at SHANNONS. I think you just feel it is the right thing to be with SHANNONS and don't bother looking elsewhere. Similar to you though they downgraded my car value and kept the same premium, so I checked out the opposition and Wallah...

Found it hard to believe there is a $500.00 difference.

Regards,

Niko

• 1 month later...

I said, "GOD-DAMN!!!" :o:o:o

I just got a comparable quote from LSV as opposed to Shannon's on my two cars (non-daily drivers, both garaged)...

2.7 Carrera $437 p.a. (LSV) vs $991 p.a. (Shannon's)

964RS $1.030 P.A. (LSV) VS $1,599 p.a. (Shannon's)

The only apparent negative to LSV is that LSV's excesses are higher by $500 per car, but thats only if you crash them, and clearly I'll save almost twice that amount in one year!!!! :blink::blink::blink:B)

I don't need any more convincing...

Kerry

• 2 months later...

It's probably a case of "horses for courses". I've been with Shannons for 8 years, aged 54 to 62, historic plates,$38000 agreed value(could be a bit low) only had one windscreen in that time(just billed it to them-no hassle)full no claim discounts and safe garaging. Annual premium $348 and I keep any wreck to sell.Thats a 1% premium,with $400 excess or $0 if stolen, 65% no claim bonus for life, so I'm happy to stay with them.

Paul M

• 1 month later...

I swapped my 2 classics to LSV - 55% less than shannons - gave them the chance to match the price and values - wouldn't so i left!

Only issue i had was that i never got my renewal letter - cars were un-insured for 2 months i look for my old bill and saw I'd been driving both cars around uninsured - never sent a 2nd letter or reminder and no follow up call!

Wasn't happy at the time - but soon fixed it!

Thanks for the heads up. Lumley's quoted me about 30% cheaper than Shannons. :)

The policy savings seem to vary from car to car. According to Lulmey's their underwriters biggest target market is classic cars (>25 yo) so that's where the greatest savings will be made.

Not that I want a claim, but hopefully their claims department take just as much care as their new business department.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Niko,

Thank you for the heads up regarding Lumley Insurance. Received my insurance renewal the other day, it just seems to increase year on year. Read your forum article, called Lumley's and have saved myself $400 on a new policy with a lower excess. Nice to know the $400 is now staying with me and not being given away in the form of a higher premium. :)

Not everyday you can save such an amount on general expenses.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Niko,

Thank you for the heads up regarding Lumley Insurance. Received my insurance renewal the other day, it just seems to increase year on year. Read your forum article, called Lumley's and have saved myself $400 on a new policy with a lower excess. Nice to know the $400 is now staying with me and not being given away in the form of a higher premium. :)

Not everyday you can save such an amount on general expenses.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob, happy to be of assistance. Just looking back on who in the forum has swapped over, looks like there has been a lot of savings made. LUMLEYS were also out at the last Phillip Island PCV sprint meet, so they are getting a little involved in our club which can only be a good thing.

I have had many good years with SHANNONS over four cars, but I made the decision to swap and I am still happy with my decision one year later.

Regards,

Niko

Lumleys definately sound like the go after reading everyones comments.

Currently with Shannons (4 yrs and need to negotiate agreed value every year), daily driver and due to renew end of March.

Will give my 2 cents after comparing the costs/benefits.

[Just contacted Lumleys and found out they don't insure daily drivers. Might have to speed up plans to put this old girl in moth balls and get a normal car for daily use.]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Niko,

I am new to this caper, and followed your advice and rang Lumleys....heres my story:

78 911 SC

imobiliser, lock up garage, rating 1, hate to say it , but just over 50 etc etc

Lumleys quoted $690 with no loss of rating 1 and get the wreck, and a agreed value of $34k. Was told if I was a member of PCV I would save 10-15%, however I am not yet.

Rang Shannons, and was asked was I going to race the vehicle (no), was I going to do tarmac rallys (not yet anyway), was I going to do drive days (hopefully). Then the chap said well we really only cater for motorsport enthusiasts, therefore I dont think we can help you.

Was flicking through Unique cars, and came across Ryno Insurance, thought what the hell. Everything Lumleys offered, and a premium of mid $400, with a $300 excess....

So I took that, and hopefully all will be good (i.e I wont need it).

cheers

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

After 8 years with Shannons - no complaints or claims, I recently (a few months ago) had my insurance renewal from Shannons come though and thought I would check out LSV. I insured both 911 and 944 with LSV for the Shannons price of the 911 only (saving $400). Shortly after, the 911 was involved in a small accident and LSV were great. Fast turnaround and choice of repairer. I thought the claim would take a long time to process given all the flood damage going on but they were very quick. My 2 cents. JP

• 3 months later...
Guest vas930

I found the best overall cover, without those stupid restrictions with RACV. Yes RACV.

I was shocked also. That tow truck may come in handy ;)

• 11 months later...

HMM - got my bill from LSV today - up 21.5% last year - up 19.5% this year - 41% in 2 years not wrapped by it all. No claims, no fines no changes to the policy. I understand there are rises but fork me dead - 5-10% is normal I've read - my aami daily drive went down 15%.

Spoke to shannons they beat 1 of my car policies but my porsche was the higher even at less value then my rarer old car.

I drive me cars once a month - any alternatives to shannons and lsv?

murf

I swapped my 2 classics to LSV - 55% less than shannons - gave them the chance to match the price and values - wouldn't so i left!

Only issue i had was that i never got my renewal letter - cars were un-insured for 2 months i look for my old bill and saw I'd been driving both cars around uninsured - never sent a 2nd letter or reminder and no follow up call!

Wasn't happy at the time - but soon fixed it!

I was in same situ as you murf. After changing to LSV last year from many years with Shannon's, I again compared prices and I am now back with Shannon's. I think windscreen policy with Lsv was also price limited whereas Shannons was not limited.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my half yearly renewal from Shannons. Premium increased by $11 BUT agreed value INCREASED by almost $4000. For a 1970 912 modified to 911T specs, with mods detailed and covered. Have been with them for 10 years, no claims, one windscreen for free. Good value for a Club Permit rego and I'll be staying loyal to them as they 1. send a written renewal,2. follow up with a phone call to make sure I'm happy to renew and 3. appreciate our older classic cars and 4. through their auctions have a realistic idea of values.

Paul M

Pity Shannos didnt look after me like that.. i got a 30% odd increase, no call, nothing.. So i called and got a piss poor explanation and no attempt to look after me with my 2 cars, house, contents, specified items etc..

Pity Shannos didnt look after me like that.. i got a 30% odd increase, no call, nothing.. So i called and got a piss poor explanation and no attempt to look after me with my 2 cars, house, contents, specified items etc..

Pretty much exactly the same for me from Shannons. I had been a customer for several years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Insurance has been spoken about more than once on this board and others (http://www.typ901.org/showthread.php?t=3796), and I think it might just hit the headlines again based on some first hand experience.

We have been great supporters of LSV for quite some time now, with our largish stable of cars and everyday cars insured through them.

However I received a letter and phone call last week saying that they would now not insure our cars, and as a result, they would no renew our policy. FWIW, our claims have been almost nil, and our premiums are large.

A previous employee of Lumley (LSV) who now works for us at Porsche Insurance contacted some of his old clients and it seems that this is occurring with them also. There are some high profile customers that are either being given MASSIVE (around 70%) increases in their premiums, or told that their policy will not be renewed. Simply, it looks like LSV is reducing the size of its insurance portfolio and therefore risk. The effect to clients - increased premiums.

So.... knowing what I now know, I thought I would put those that are with LSV on notice, saying that you may get a call, letter, or both, saying that your premium has gone up, or you policy will not be renewed.

I will openly disclose I am the GM for Porsche Financial Services Australia, and we operate Porsche Insurance. In light of the developments with Lumley's, we are rapidly developing an exclusive Porsche Club Insurance policy for Porsche club members on top of our existing Porsche Insurance for ALL Porsche owners, and this will include Porsche Forum members. Porsche Insurance has the key underwriters across all sectors (motor, marine, home, business insurance) who offer some of the best policy benefits in the business, who are for the most part, not available to the public direct.

I'm keen to find out if any others have similar a similar response from Lumley's yet, and if members might be interested in giving Porsche Insurance a go for a quote on their business?

I am contactable on Alex.webster@porsche.com.au should anyone want to get in touch for a quote on your options. And remember like Shannon's we don't just do car insurance, we can do home, marine, business etc insurances.

Hope we can help :)

Alex Webster

1967 S Historic Racer

Archived