car insurance

Niko

Hi Alex,

I read you post on the 901 forum yesterday. I have been with LSV for over 15 years actually with Torque who were bought by LSV some time ago. Never had a claim, not even a windscreen. My car gets washed more than it gets driven. My premium has risen by 50% in two years so I am certainly interested in talking to you and will be in touch on Monday as my renewal is due in the next two weeks.

Cheers

Chris Perry

• 5 years later...

Hi Guys,

After reading the first few posts yesterday I went and got a quote from Lumleys. THey were $750ish for a 98 996.

Shannons would not insure me as my 'carport' - enclosed on 3 sides including the street side, is not classed as a garage. If the car was to be garaged, shannons would have been $1300ish. 

Everyone else (Youi & RACV with multi policy discounts, and AAMI) were up around $1800-$2k. This really leads me towards Lumleys as I am comparing $750 to $1800. 

After getting the Lumleys quote, i read a few reviews and I couldn't find many good ones relating to claims so I came back here to see if anyone had made a claim and read the rest of the comments. From what I can see only one claim has been made with them from this group, and there's a few more unhappy customers due to premium increases.

Is there anyone else you guys would recommend? (Alex, I've already sent you an email)

Cheers,

Haydn

Hi Haydn,

I can but not recommend Shannons highly enough! By far the cheapest (for me) and easiest to deal with. I made a claim, a total loss, and it was a breeze, they handed over the agreed value money without issue (they even had to pay for the crane to retrieve the car!).

Surprised they would not cover due to being a carport? My car is garaged, but they mistakenly had it listed as outside/ carport and had no issue - I did get a slight reduction when I updated it. Maybe it is the difference for a more modern car? An older car like mine is dirt cheap to insure....

I think you will find a few more insurance threads on here too....

We do have all 3 cars with them plus the house, so get a nice discount too!

I went with Porsche Insurance after not getting past first base with both Lumley's and Shannon last year. At the time I only had an open carport, so they wouldn't give me the slighted idea of prices either! Got agreed value for my car with 5000km per year limit and it ended up being around $1,100 with Porsche Insurance.

I have now fitted a panel lift door and filled in the front and sides. Shortly will be getting a roller door fitted to the back to enclose completely. When my policy is up for renewal I will check out the others again, but quite surprised how reasonable the cost was. My Subaru worth a 10th of the 911 insurance was over $600 with AAMI!

Thanks Guys, I spoke with Porsche insurance earlier and they are getting back to me this afternoon. She said a few of their insurance companies have an option for "carport not visible from the street".

Mine is like yours, enclosed both sides and front has a roller door - I've got an external roller blind on the back so i can have it on a bit of an angle - I like to sit on my deck and look at my toys!

You can still hit the same expensive car with it though...

exactly right

I just insured a Benz thats 1/3 the value of my Spyder but more expensive in annual premium; Shanons position is that a Spyder has never been written off in Australia, hundreds of C class Mercs are every year. They also have a risk model that says people with "special" cars are far more careful with that car. Daily driver, totally different case, vehicular ping pong. Makes sense.

I would add - always go back and push the insurer - I did that and got another 10% of the premium

exactly right

I just insured a Benz thats 1/3 the value of my Spyder but more expensive in annual premium; Shannons position is that  on the way to lawn bowls hundreds of C class Mercs are written off every year. They also have a risk model that says people with "special" cars are far more careful with that car.  Daily old codger driver, totally different case.

Couldn't agree more!

Couldn't agree more! I parked my Mini (who I call Cyril) outside a rave club in Melbourne while I went in to dance the night away to Duff Duff music with teenagers and when I came out, OMG poor little Cyril had been stolen ! I cried myself to sleep that night missing my little Cyril but luckily I was insured with AAMI and the story finished with a happy ending.

I love happy endings...... 

Here I am cruising the streets in Cyril - I just love being inside Cyril....

tATeP1u.jpg

LMAO

Love your work @KGB !!

Maybe a PFA insurance company is on order .. I think many of us must be hitting the 6k-10k PA insurance fees

Good idea - after we start an insurance company we should start an airline followed by an Internet Service provider, probably the only two riskier business ventures I can think of....

Good idea - after we start an insurance company we should start an airline followed by an Internet Service provider, probably the only two riskier business ventures I can think of....

What PFA members are , dilligent , low mileage garage queen owners as they spend too much time on the net , carefull drivers , service their cars with the best parts and experts.. wash em regularly and normally diversify the risk by having multiple cars,  what you saying ?;) 

Ask Niki Lauda, he scorched both ears...

What PFA members are , dilligent , low mileage garage queen owners as they spend too much time on the net , carefull drivers , service their cars with the best parts and experts.. wash em regularly and normally diversify the risk by having multiple cars,  what you saying ?;) 

It's possible, I know the guy...how many cars we got?  Sensible, insurable like...

exactly right

I just insured a Benz thats 1/3 the value of my Spyder but more expensive in annual premium; Shanons position is that a Spyder has never been written off in Australia, hundreds of C class Mercs are every year. They also have a risk model that says people with "special" cars are far more careful with that car. Daily driver, totally different case, vehicular ping pong. Makes sense.

I would add - always go back and push the insurer - I did that and got another 10% of the premium

True, but in my experience Shannons still have lower rates for your nicer daily driver than most, and when you package it all together (house and cars) it is pretty nice to see how cheap it all can be :)

Of course living in Tassie helps too :D

there's another thread or 2 here on PFA on insurances which helped me... But I was with Shannon's up until recently. I got a quote from them for my 2 cars for around $2600 and then called RHINO. I'm now with them (no claims yet) for less than half that amount. Yes, half. I'm happy!

Archived