Tiger Woods

Not sure how many here play the jolly old game of golf.

I do, I love the game, but plenty of people dont.

I was watching the golf this morning and Tiger Woods won for the 3rd time this year out of 4 starts.

This tournament he has now won 8 times.

After all the drama(all his fault) over the last few years and the shocking injuries he has had he is back as No 1 in the world.

I have played lots of sports over the years and for me golf is by far the hardest game of all.

To come back when you dont need to prove anything , with all the haters and people against you, when you have all the money you could need, wow, just wow.

The greatest sports person of my life time. IMO

To get to the top of golf is not like tennis, in golf 100 players have a real shot at winning, not four or five.

As a come back, this rates up with Ali as a great story.

Like the man or not, what a great sportsman.

The best ?   I think so.    :)  :)

Vas,

I'm putting my hand up, golf tragic. Took the game up at 50 years of age, the only 2 things I regret now are I should have started when I was 30 & I won't live long enough to get into single figures. H'cap 17.

vas, have to agree, I think he has done a remarkable job turning his life around after such turmoil. Love the game, and wish I could play more often, but it seems the more I play the worse I get !!!

Maybe one day we should have the PFA challenge......

Peter

I have played lots of sports over the years and for me golf is by far the hardest game of all.

So is it a sport or a game? I'm not a golfer, just totally the wrong personality! I just finished a T&F season age 50 and my poison ( 400 & 800m ) is pretty brutal!

As with car racing , it's all about power to weight and energy usage - and tactics. Tell me about golf tactics Vas , what are they apart from the choice of weapon?

Nice one Vas. Totally agree where you say 100 players can win in just one tournament.

I Hated golf with a passion!

After watching 14 seconds of it, I was bagging the hell out of it to my dad, and with myself being a devout sportsman of anything (mainly motorsport), he bet he would flog me at golf.

Challenge taken, off we go to his club.

A very long story short, I sank a monster putt on the 9th hole and I was hooked! ( It still cost me a bottle of Chivas though!)

I joined his club and loved the game, and playing every weekend with my dad. I got down to 13 handicap, but I havent played for 5 or 6 years now.

I want to start again soon if I can, before I'm 50 which is 3 years away, as I recently scored a nice new set of custom Taylor Firestick clubs freebies with 100 new balls

Think I'll need them!

Nice one Vas. Totally agree where you say 100 players can win in just one tournament.

I Hated golf with a passion!

After watching 14 seconds of it, I was bagging the hell out of it to my dad, and with myself being a devout sportsman of anything (mainly motorsport), he bet he would flog me at golf.

Challenge taken, off we go to his club.

A very long story short, I sank a monster putt on the 9th hole and I was hooked! ( It still cost me a bottle of Chivas though!)

I joined his club and loved the game, and playing every weekend with my dad. I got down to 13 handicap, but I havent played for 5 or 6 years now.

I want to start again soon if I can, before I'm 50 which is 3 years away, as I recently scored a nice new set of custom Taylor Firestick clubs freebies with 100 new balls

Think I'll need them!

Yes, I never saw the point of the game.

I started playing about seven years ago and went crazy.

The main reason I moved to Rye from Gippsland was for the golf.

I don't get to play that much these days, but still love the game.

When I was playing all the time and with good coaching I got to an ok level.

I was breaking 80 no probs around the Open Course at Moonah Links.

My best day was a 75 at the same course.

Now I am happy just to hit it in the air.

Vas,

I'm putting my hand up, golf tragic. Took the game up at 50 years of age, the only 2 things I regret now are I should have started when I was 30 & I won't live long enough to get into single figures. H'cap 17.

We should have started at 10.

So is it a sport or a game?

If you're trying to do something as fast as possible, or there's a real possibility of injury involved, it's a sport.

If not - think lawn bowls, golf, curling etc. - it's just a game.

After work today I'll be falling off riding my MTB around Manly Dam. Woo hoo!

So is it a sport or a game? I'm not a golfer, just totally the wrong personality! I just finished a T&F season age 50 and my poison ( 400 & 800m ) is pretty brutal!

As with car racing , it's all about power to weight and energy usage - and tactics. Tell me about golf tactics Vas , what are they apart from the choice of weapon?

The thing with golf is having the skill to be able to use tactics.

To develop a swing that can hit the ball where you want to is just so bloody hard.

These top level guys are so strong in the right areas and flexible.

They cant hit it straight all the time, even at the top level.

So it takes great mental strength to stay calm and improvise all the time.

For me the biggest factor that makes golf so hard are the number of skills you need to make a good score.

Putting, chipping, bunker play,hitting the ball with a draw and a fade.

Hitting with spin and without, keeping the ball low in the wind and so on.

Without these skills you dont bother with tactics.

That is why the walk back to the car after a round of golf is full of very angry people.

They say " Thats it , I am never playing this #*!*#*# game ever again"

But, they always come back next week, thinking they have found some magic fix.

It's a great game. :)

But, they always come back next week, thinking they have found some magic fix.

And that magic fix is usually the newest driver, set of irons, putter etc etc

never works

Weekend warriors usually dont have the time or patience to really get their mechanics right.. tough game

Yes, I never saw the point of the game.

I started playing about seven years ago and went crazy.

The main reason I moved to Rye from Gippsland was for the golf.

I don't get to play that much these days, but still love the game.

When I was playing all the time and with good coaching I got to an ok level.

I was breaking 80 no probs around the Open Course at Moonah Links.

My best day was a 75 at the same course.

Now I am happy just to hit it in the air.

75!!!!!! My hero!!!! I'm happy with low 80's occasionally.

75!!!!!! My hero!!!! I'm happy with low 80's occasionally.

Thanks, mate.

To be honest I worked bloody hard on my game.

If I had some natural ability(I dont) with how hard I try, I would have been a good golfer.

These days I just enjoy a hit and a nice walk.  :)

I had a cheap Crime Converters 3 metal 'wood' that I couldnt slice or hook if I tried, always dead straight or close to it, and used to hit between high 70's to mid 80's most times.

Then a pro says to me that if I want to improve my game, buy new clubs. Well I sold that 3 wood to my dads mate for $15 and he improved his game dramatically, and mine turned to poop! Slice, hook, pull, push etc etc, I did them all and went back to high 80's mid 90's.

You think he would sell it back to me for $100?? Noooooo!! 

I still have a grudge against that damn pro!

My dad still laughs at me about it till I remind him that his putting sucks, then he shuts up  :D

Archived