2013 Veyron

This is just totally nuts! 

Bugatti SuperVeyron (2013)

In October 2012, Bugatti announced plans for a new variant of the Veyron due to debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2013. Based on the Super Sport, the SuperVeyron is planned to be 250 kg (550 lb) lighter, mostly through utilizing more carbon fibre and further increasing aerodynamics. The Super Sport's 8.0 L W16 engine will be increased to 9.6 L to produce 1,200 kW (1,600 bhp), decreasing the 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) time to 1.8 seconds and increasing top speed to a planned 460 km/h (288 mph).[71]

The Porsche 917 got up to 1500hp and 0-100 in 2.1s. In 1973. Fairly primitive traction control back then!

Awesome numbers.

But I just don't get the point of it all.

Love to see them build something with 700hp and goes around a corner.

the point, well to do something that nobody ever has before!

a street legal road car that does 460km/h that you can drive to the shops to get some milk!!

wow, who wouldn't want one, just because

the point, well to do something that nobody ever has before!

a street legal road car that does 460km/h that you can drive to the shops to get some milk!!

wow, who wouldn't want one, just because

I wouldn't want one , JJ.

The car seems like alot of nonsense to me.

Not sure if you would use it to pick up some milk.

But, it would still be cold when you got home. ;)

If I owned a Veyron, I dare say I wouldnt be the one going to get the milk, it'd be my servants, coz I'd be out thrashing it in the hills!

Lee, the last one was not that quick around the track.

All that weight will slow anything down.

It would be fun to find out. :)

I'm glad to see the Veyron being developed further.

A couple of years ago Top Gear finished up the season with Clarkson crying into his beer that the end of fabulous automobiles was upon us because of all the various finger-waggers and idiotic regulations that were coming in.

A complete lack of faith and optimism which has already been found to be hogwash.  Although I can understand where he was coming from during a period when Range Rovers were routinely being egged by brainwashed idiots in London.

Of course cars keep getting better, even if boundary-reset cars like the Veyron only come along once every decade or two.

There will always be fabulously weatlhy people willing to throw endless money in a pssing contest over who has the best toys, and there will be companies quite willing to step up and provide the hardware.

It's likely that the nexus of that will increasingly no longer be Western Europe, but that won't stop the cars from existing.   Rich people already own their own racetracks, only a matter of time before some seriously rich guy builds or buys his own top-speed track.

Sure beats buying a stinky old castle if you ask me.

Lee, the last one was not that quick around the track.

All that weight will slow anything down.

It would be fun to find out. :)

the original veyron did 7:40 around the ring, is that slow in your books then?

the latest veyron does 0-100km/h in 2.4 seconds, 9.9 second 1.4 mile, top speed over 400km/h

it must take alot to impress you then.

the original veyron did 7:40 around the ring, is that slow in your books then?

the latest veyron does 0-100km/h in 2.4 seconds, 9.9 second 1.4 mile, top speed over 400km/h

it must take alot to impress you then.

For the cost of the car and all that power.

7;40 is slow to me, JJ.

Yes its fast in a straight line, but who cares.

I said it was not that fast around a track, I stand by that.

The GT2 RS did 7.24.

The old GT Carrera did a 7.28 back in 2004.

If you like the car, thats great.

I am just pointing out the facts.

Even a GTR is faster around that track.

I get the "because we can" thing, but the Veyron's whole purpose was corporate willy waving for VW.

"We will build a car with 1001 HP!"

And then discover that you need a silly number of radiators to dump the excess heat, tyres last a silly short time when you use the car's performance and, and, and...

Consider that Ettore Bugatti dismissively referred to his Le Mans competitors as "Mr Bentley's racing lorries" because they were enormous leviathans, contrasted with the delicacy of the Bugattis.

Nowadays Bentley and Bugatti are both VW brands, and are both high speed lorries.

I get the "because we can" thing, but the Veyron's whole purpose was corporate willy waving for VW.

"We will build a car with 1001 HP!"

And then discover that you need a silly number of radiators to dump the excess heat, tyres last a silly short time when you use the car's performance and, and, and...

Consider that Ettore Bugatti dismissively referred to his Le Mans competitors as "Mr Bentley's racing lorries" because they were enormous leviathans, contrasted with the delicacy of the Bugattis.

Nowadays Bentley and Bugatti are both VW brands, and are both high speed lorries.

This came to mind after reading James post...

"These cars are meant to be driven, not polished."

Dr. Ferry Porsche

Archived