Spyder RS

HWY

11 hours ago, sleazius said:

The other person who mentioned a noise difference was Matt Farah. He specifically said it was related to the intakes on wp vs non wp cars. Given he was one of the few reviewers who drove both, I'd be inclined to believe it. He also mention it was cabin noise, not exterior noise.

This should not be an issue on the Spyder though.

WP on the Spyder is (in my opinion) just a way to extract more money from customers who wish to access PTS.

The best thing to do is figure out what your primary use will be for the car and spec accordingly. For example my GT3 has steels because I was going to track it. Had I got one of these I was going PCCB (and flirted with sofas) because I had no plans to hit the track.

Ok , I’m slightly confused, isn’t PCCB better suited to track and steels for standard road use?

Also WP for SRS ->  i think its just Fomo - eg. i skimped on the CF option on my Macan, and i still regret it today, its like male jewellery :D Having said that i am still a bit conflicted as the CF bonnet does take away from the ‘classic’ nature of the car, but at the same time a tiny bit of bling on the bonnet might look nice? I’m still up in the air with the colour and just can’t justify PTS in my  head - Having said that I saw an aubergene 4RS with WP and it looked sublime, but just doesn’t translate to an SRS look. Argh.

Saw these two PTS on the web - both look interesting?

IMG_1237.jpeg

IMG_1236.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Shookie said:

Ok , I’m slightly confused, isn’t PCCB better suited to track and steels for standard road use?

Also WP for SRS ->  i think its just Fomo - eg. i skimped on the CF option on my Macan, and i still regret it today, its like male jewellery :D Having said that i am still a bit conflicted as the CF bonnet does take away from the ‘classic’ nature of the car, but at the same time a tiny bit of bling on the bonnet might look nice? I’m still up in the air with the colour and just can’t justify PTS in my  head - Having said that I saw an aubergene 4RS with WP and it looked sublime, but just doesn’t translate to an SRS look. Argh.

Saw these two PTS on the web - both look interesting?

IMG_1237.jpeg

IMG_1236.jpeg

PCCB works great on track BUT the catch is replacement cost. They are subject to wear and cost several thousand dollars per rotor to replace. Guys who track either spec steel and replace accordingly or spec PCCBs and put them on the shelf, replacing with aftermarket steel rotors. ST rotors are the ultimate track rotor for a carbon ceramic setup. PCCBs just don't survive heavy track use... 

58 minutes ago, Shookie said:

A very happy new year Ian! Thanks again for that link to surfacetransforms!

i have  some more questions :)

1. Steering column in leather -  i checked it, and noticed that the contrast stitching was automatically applied. Could this be a configurator error given that there is a second option  for column in Leather including contrast stitching ? ( also note when i selected the latter, it completely removed  WP)

2. Any thoughts on the watch? I was pretty excited until i saw the price, and also that most GT  and some non GT cars have that option as well - so perhaps takes away from the exclusivity? 

3. The paint matched key ring -  $700 dollars for a tiny painted key ring, or am i missing something here?

4. The racetex sunvisors - i noticed that although the sunvisors could be optioned in racetex, the whole upper section looked like standard  plastic / fabric?

5. Interested in your thoughts here - Not sure where the  “plastic search and destroy” mission ends here but i noticed that the  whole area underneath the drivers/passengers armrest is also plastic  - given there is so much effort into racetex’ing everything, would something like this now start to stick out a bit? Whats your opinion on the  “end trim in Racetex” , Fusebox in leather and  Door sill guards in leather?  

6. Floor mat option- don’t Porsche usually throw these in?

Thanks again! :)

Just got to hotel following a flight to Japan with 2 youngish kids. So reply may be slightly incoherent…

1. I need to double check this with my sales guy when I get back from Japan. My understanding is that the standard steering column in leather applies the deviated stitching in the standard grey or red. The other option was if you wanted to do a deviated stitching beyond those 2 colours. Eg say you got a PTS green and wanted green deviated stitching throughout. Not 100% sure on this.

2. No interest as I don’t wear or collect watches.

3. Err it has an OEM leather pouch with deviated stitching and err… I really can’t justify the $700 no matter how hard I try. I was going to try this option at least once though. If it sucks then I will never option it again.

4. Err I’m not sure. I will check on someone’s 4RS when I get back to Australia.

5. Hmm. I just liked the overall vibe of the WP interior whenever I sit in the 4RS. I didn’t go searching for any remaining plastic. And whatever plastic was remaining certainly didn’t jump out and catch my eye.

6. True… they did for my other two…

7. PCCB are ideal for the street in my opinion. Minimal brake dust, and in street application the brakes may outlast the car. Admittedly your friend didn’t like the noise.

However if you choose to take the PCCBs to the track, there are multiple reports on rennlist and elsewhere about the PCCBs needing to be replaced very quickly (which is quite cost prohibitive). The reports seem to suggest it depends on which generation PCCB you get. 

I sound like a salesman for surface transforms… but they have supposedly solved the ceramics dying within a few track days issue.

The ceramics dying is supposedly something to do with the heat cycling. As above, they're perfect for the road, not the track. No brake dust is a huge win.

The steering column option as long as you go for the default red or grey will be applied automatically. The steering column deviated stitch is what you select if you have taken the deviated stitch option in another colour.

If you want the key painted in a colour matching your car get on ebay and buy the keyfob shell. You can save yourself $680 and buy one for $20 landed (gotta love the porsche markup).

The leather vs alcantara or racetex thing is just personal preference. I personally hate the feel of alcantara so I try to eliminate it from my cars where possible. Others love it and try to option it all over the place. Most Porsche dealers are struggling to shift cars at the moment so I'm sure if you head to a dealer you'll be able to try a car that has either to make an informed choice.

I tend not to sell cars, so if I spec them I tend to go all out. Other people are fine as long as they get the engine / transmission they want, the rest of the car can feel like a Corolla. There are no right or wrong answers when it comes to these things. Just pick what you like.

8 hours ago, Ian718 said:

Just got to hotel following a flight to Japan with 2 youngish kids. So reply may be slightly incoherent…

1. I need to double check this with my sales guy when I get back from Japan. My understanding is that the standard steering column in leather applies the deviated stitching in the standard grey or red. The other option was if you wanted to do a deviated stitching beyond those 2 colours. Eg say you got a PTS green and wanted green deviated stitching throughout. Not 100% sure on this.

3. Err it has an OEM leather pouch with deviated stitching and err… I really can’t justify the $700 no matter how hard I try. I was going to try this option at least once though. If it sucks then I will never option it again.

4. Err I’m not sure. I will check on someone’s 4RS when I get back to Australia.

5. Hmm. I just liked the overall vibe of the WP interior whenever I sit in the 4RS. I didn’t go searching for any remaining plastic. And whatever plastic was remaining certainly didn’t jump out and catch my eye.

7. PCCB are ideal for the street in my opinion. Minimal brake dust, and in street application the brakes may outlast the car. Admittedly your friend didn’t like the noise.

However if you choose to take the PCCBs to the track, there are multiple reports on rennlist and elsewhere about the PCCBs needing to be replaced very quickly (which is quite cost prohibitive). The reports seem to suggest it depends on which generation PCCB you get. 

I sound like a salesman for surface transforms… but they have supposedly solved the ceramics dying within a few track days issue.

Thanks! Enjoy Japan - earthquakes aside, its an amazing place to visit :) 

58 minutes ago, sleazius said:

The ceramics dying is supposedly something to do with the heat cycling. As above, they're perfect for the road, not the track. No brake dust is a huge win.

The steering column option as long as you go for the default red or grey will be applied automatically. The steering column deviated stitch is what you select if you have taken the deviated stitch option in another colour.

If you want the key painted in a colour matching your car get on ebay and buy the keyfob shell. You can save yourself $680 and buy one for $20 landed (gotta love the porsche markup).

The leather vs alcantara or racetex thing is just personal preference. I personally hate the feel of alcantara so I try to eliminate it from my cars where possible. Others love it and try to option it all over the place. Most Porsche dealers are struggling to shift cars at the moment so I'm sure if you head to a dealer you'll be able to try a car that has either to make an informed choice.

I tend not to sell cars, so if I spec them I tend to go all out. Other people are fine as long as they get the engine / transmission they want, the rest of the car can feel like a Corolla. There are no right or wrong answers when it comes to these things. Just pick what you like.

Thank you, esp re the steering column clarification. Agree re Porsche having challenges shifting cars. Lots of used stock around , even 4RS’s. This contrasts their new cars where they are selling at RRP and hard to get allocations. Very strange times. Also hearing rumours about Porsche going agency model? 

2 hours ago, HWY said:

Does anyone know how much a set of surface transform whole set are in Aust?  None of the suppliers seem to list the price.

PR Tech in Sydney quoted $22k (fitted) for gt4 surface transform rotors. This was back in 2021, so represents a ballpark figure only.

1 hour ago, Ian718 said:

PR Tech in Sydney quoted $22k (fitted) for gt4 surface transform rotors. This was back in 2021, so represents a ballpark figure only.

I'm guessing based on the inflation of automotive parts over the past two years that could be substantially off now.

Yeah, almost certainly... I was debating even writing that reply, but then decided one shitty data point was better than zero data points.

I hope to have a similar conversation with Richard in the next 9 months or so! Then I can update the thread with the amount of $$$ that have been extracted from me :)

On 31/12/2023 at 22:58, Ian718 said:

1. The internal Spyder RS documents which I got my hands on have a labelled picture stating the internal A pillars are racetex. But it fails to specify whether that is on all cars including non WP. The labelled picture is of a WP car, so I am certain for WP, but not 100% for non-WP.

2. Yeah fair point. I have racing/track gloves which I will wear when driving the car, so I'm not fussed about a racetex steering wheel. I'm pretty fastidious with my 'special' cars, so I have faith that the racetex interior will last, as long as properly and regularly maintained. But I agree that racetex is harder to keep clean.

3. These are the 2 specific examples I was thinking about when I wrote that comment... have a look at:

Warren: https://porscheforum.com.au/topic/18625-cayman-gt4-rs/page/39/#comment-394032

Chris: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-4-0-gt4-gt4rs-spyder-25th-anniversary/1334104-gt4rs-hood-and-spoiler-stripe-vinyl-alternative.html

Chris (caferacer) in particular turned his car from a non-WP 4RS to looking damn awesome imo.

So yeah... I meant tasteful custom vinyl patterns, along with the regular PPF as well.

4. I have zero care about the financial sell value of the car since I don't plan to sell it. I have a strong affinity to the Boxster/Cayman platform, and this represents peak ICE Boxster... so I can't see what I would replace this with.

My main issue with WP is that it didn't have any performance benefit. And on principle that annoyed me, because I consider myself a 'function over form' person. One of the things I love about Porsche is that there are no fake vents anywhere on their cars. Yet the whole 4RS and SRS Weissach Packs are the carbon fibre equivalents of a 'fake vent'.

The exposed carbon fibre is either replacing painted carbon fibre (so no weight benefit). Or it is replacing plastic (so no weight benefit). And if plastic does the job fine, then the structure doesn't need the extra strength that carbon fibre brings. So the carbon fibre is basically showboating for no functional purpose...

And it annoys the crap out of me that I love the look of it... But I have come to embrace the fact that I am at least in part a 'fake vent' person... and I am paying for the WP simply because I think it looks nice.

In terms of it being worth it... that's subjective... but personally I am not penny pinching for this car because it is the end and peak of an ICE era. If I like something, I will just spec it.

I didn't get the magnesium wheels because I think the OEM steel wheels look better for the street, and there will be superior aftermarket options to go fast at the track (I am waiting for other people to do the hard work and figure out the suspension and brake changes to make the best wheel/tyre options possible :)).

I didn't get PCCB because I think the surface transform aftermarket ceramic option is better if ceramics are important. Or I might need to change the rotors to be smaller to fit a more appropriate wheel size for the track, which will unlock better tyre choices.

Edit: thinking specifically about your Black SRS... I think black doesn't need the carbon fibre as much as red, and the plastic could arguably suit it better if you were going for the batman type spec. Red and carbon fibre just go really well to my eyes (well it does on my friends GR GT4RS w/ WP). And also I am a massive sucker for the GT2RS style painted central stripe.

5. Your Mrs chose this option to turn the seats centres black:

Interior trim package with decorative stitching and embroidery in contrasting colour

With decorative stitching in contrasting colour: dashboard upper section including instrument shroud, upper section of door panels, door centre panels, centre console side sections, door panel armrests, door pulls, centre console main storage compartment lid, steering wheel, gear lever, seats, embroidered headrests.

Free choice of colour from all available standard and special colours.

Only in conjunction with Race-Tex interior with extensive leather items.

Note: if this option is selected, the seat centres are finished in black

Also if the red seat centres bother you that much, you could just go for a high end aftermarket option. Eg. Garry at https://www.classicfx.net/porsche-seat-covers/ has done lots of high quality work which has satisfied many fussy Porsche owners.

Thanks for the comments on my car.  I had the same thinking as you on WP, its an appearance package, and the $30k can be used for stuff to make you go faster like ST brakes, camber plates, second set of wheels and tyres.  That'll actually make you faster.

Enjoy the car, will be a fun thing!

Also I have steel braked and am 12 months in and am onto third set of pads and about to do replacment rotors.   Considerably cheaper than if I had pccb's.

23 hours ago, Ian718 said:

Ian, another question - saw some other forums that have you starring in it :) I believe you mentioned the door pulls in carmine for the red deviated stitching? My SA mentioned that the pulls were guards red? I have seatbelts and sports chrono in guards based on the pulls being guards. Any chance you can ask you SA to double check the colour of the pulls when you are back from japan?

Thanks! 

I got the dealer to include trickle charger, all weather floor mats (I hate dirty/wet shoes on carpet mats!) and car cover.  They happily obliged when I bought 992 GTS demo and again with the 4RS.  It’s the least they can do when you’re spending $400k and they refuse to negotiate on price!  

They also threw in a Porsche track day at Phillip Island at no cost with the RS.

and with the GTS they gave me some Porsche credit to spend on caps and a mug 🤷‍♂️😂

19 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Thanks for the comments on my car.  I had the same thinking as you on WP, its an appearance package, and the $30k can be used for stuff to make you go faster like ST brakes, camber plates, second set of wheels and tyres.  That'll actually make you faster.

Enjoy the car, will be a fun thing!

Also I have steel braked and am 12 months in and am onto third set of pads and about to do replacment rotors.   Considerably cheaper than if I had pccb's.

Thanks Chris!

I aspire to get to the track as much as you have done! Although the main limiting factor is how much my wife is happy for me to go (which leaves her with the 2 kids)... and that is a dangerous thing to push to its limits ;) 

15 hours ago, Shookie said:

Ian, another question - saw some other forums that have you starring in it :) I believe you mentioned the door pulls in carmine for the red deviated stitching? My SA mentioned that the pulls were guards red? I have seatbelts and sports chrono in guards based on the pulls being guards. Any chance you can ask you SA to double check the colour of the pulls when you are back from japan?

I will ask my SA when I get back to Australia (won't be back till 14 Jan though). Having said that we will then just have 2 SA's with differing opinions... so who do you trust?

I reckon the answer is pretty clear. 99+% likely it is carmine red.

The configurator specifically says:

Standard interior with Weissach Package, with extensive items in leather and Race-Tex, Black and Carmine Red

Nowhere does it say guards red.

And then when selecting the door pull colours, it conveniently doesn't have Arctic Grey or Carmine Red in available options to select. Whereas for the seat belts (which is still default black with the WP interior) the Arctic Grey Options and Carmine Red options are suddenly available.

And then you can change the 'red' WP interior door pull to an optioned Guards Red door pull without throwing a code on the configurator (you know the one where it says "You want to add:" "So the following option will be removed:". That heavily suggests the WP 'red' is not guards red.

I actually think the most telling thing will be for me to check the internal documents for the Spyder RS when I get back home. That should have the 'official' Porsche word vs those of an SA (who could easily misremember).

4 hours ago, DJM said:

I got the dealer to include trickle charger, all weather floor mats (I hate dirty/wet shoes on carpet mats!) and car cover.  They happily obliged when I bought 992 GTS demo and again with the 4RS.  It’s the least they can do when you’re spending $400k and they refuse to negotiate on price!  

They also threw in a Porsche track day at Phillip Island at no cost with the RS.

and with the GTS they gave me some Porsche credit to spend on caps and a mug 🤷‍♂️😂

I'm honestly happy if they give me nothing but the car and a pat on the back. I'm over the moon to get the peak ICE Boxster/Spyder.

Having said that... It can't hurt to ask! :)

33 minutes ago, Ian718 said:

Thanks Chris!

I aspire to get to the track as much as you have done! Although the main limiting factor is how much my wife is happy for me to go (which leaves her with the 2 kids)... and that is a dangerous thing to push to its limits ;) 

I will ask my SA when I get back to Australia (won't be back till 14 Jan though). Having said that we will then just have 2 SA's with differing opinions... so who do you trust?

I reckon the answer is pretty clear. 99+% likely it is carmine red.

The configurator specifically says:

Standard interior with Weissach Package, with extensive items in leather and Race-Tex, Black and Carmine Red

Nowhere does it say guards red.

And then when selecting the door pull colours, it conveniently doesn't have Arctic Grey or Carmine Red in available options to select. Whereas for the seat belts (which is still default black with the WP interior) the Arctic Grey Options and Carmine Red options are suddenly available.

And then you can change the 'red' WP interior door pull to an optioned Guards Red door pull without throwing a code on the configurator (you know the one where it says "You want to add:" "So the following option will be removed:". That heavily suggests the WP 'red' is not guards red.

I actually think the most telling thing will be for me to check the internal documents for the Spyder RS when I get back home. That should have the 'official' Porsche word vs those of an SA (who could easily misremember).

I'm honestly happy if they give me nothing but the car and a pat on the back. I'm over the moon to get the peak ICE Boxster/Spyder.

Having said that... It can't hurt to ask! :)

Hey Ian, i decided to visit the dealer today. You’ll be pleased to know that you are correct and there was a mistake made, and i changed my build accordingly! Thanks again.

One thing for potential future SRS owners to note (if they intend to track the car) is that the recommended top speed with the top up is only around 200kph. its unlimited with the top down but, AFAIK, all convertibles are required to run with the top up on tracks in Australia unless you have fixed roll bar installed. (Please correct me if this is wrong). This restriction would mean backing right off down the main straight at Philip Island. 

1 hour ago, WGA said:

One thing for potential future SRS owners to note (if they intend to track the car) is that the recommended top speed with the top up is only around 200kph. its unlimited with the top down but, AFAIK, all convertibles are required to run with the top up on tracks in Australia unless you have fixed roll bar installed. (Please correct me if this is wrong). This restriction would mean backing right off down the main straight at Philip Island. 

I take your word about Victoria since unfortunately I haven’t been lucky enough to go to the track there yet.

In NSW I’ve run every single track and configuration (except Bathurst) on the Boxster with the top down and been allowed to without a roll bar. PCNSW makes me wear a closed helmet rather than open face if the top is down, but that’s it :)

On the farm (70 north) you aren’t even allowed to wear a helmet!

edit: perhaps the rules are different for actual racing. I was referring to PCNSW supersprints and casual trackdays where overtaking on corners is discouraged and if someone is faster than you, you are supposed to let them by you on the straight (supposed to being the operative word/phrase)

Yep he was down there in November at Evolve running around in my group with roof down.  He’s a tall guy, I don’t reckon he would fit with roof up so maybe he gets dispensation 😂

On 31/12/2023 at 23:38, Ian718 said:

If you are serious about this, then I would strongly consider talking to @chuckay. His Deman modded 981 GT4 performed *extremely* well on track. And although the driver mod is obviously a huge part of the equation (and he did a whole lot of other mods on the car), he blitzed people at the PCNSW sprints.

It would be extremely unlikely to push your car harder than he did, and if he didn't have many issues, then the Deman mod is looking very favourable indeed!

I do not recommend doing the Deman engine if you track your car. This is off topic, but anyone who is seriously considering one can PM me. Short version: For road/mountain runs its fine, on track don't do it.

On 02/01/2024 at 15:57, Ian718 said:

Dang- these are so expensive compared to OEM. Sure it may be better tech, and can be refurbished but $22k is something I will never ever get back when selling the car. OEM are $14k so I think I will go with these. Thanks for the info Ian.