There's currently 22 of these up for sale on carsales, all low km. 

There's a variety of specs, some weissach some not, but they seem to be running around 80k below new price already. 

What's the deal here? Why so many for sale so early in their life? 

Presumably prices are going to have to drop even further for these to actually sell. How low will these fall? 

7 hours ago, SlowCarPls said:

All seem to be in Australia.

If you're buying an RS to drive, I can't imagine why you'd buy a GT3RS when you can have one of these for 40-50% the price. 

Totally agree with you. And smaller in the vein of a 997, which makes it far more usable for enthusiastic weekend use on back roads where the GT3 RS really is a little too much size wise and dollar wise for the roads with occasional track use.

6 hours ago, Miffy said:

But only 2 of the Cayman GTS 4.0 and 4 Boxster GTS 4.0 which is what I’d rather have.

Not as extreme but seems they are much rarer on the resale market ?

As mentioned by Lee I suspect it's because the Cayman GTS and Boxster 4.0 were bought by true owners where the 4rs were allocated to VIP flippers who now want out of the 4RS as their Spyder RS allocations are arriving.

I think it’s really quite simple = volume 

They made a lot of these cars, from the outset Porsche said it will build as many as it has orders for within its production window, therefore they were only limited by capacity to make. 

7 hours ago, Miffy said:

But only 2 of the Cayman GTS 4.0 and 4 Boxster GTS 4.0 which is what I’d rather have.

Not as extreme but seems they are much rarer on the resale market ?

It’s an interesting point, these became available to order right around the time the Pandemic hit in early 2020.. I think first builds were meant to be MY21’s… I had specced a Cayman GTS 4.0 up and nearly pulled the trigger, but I played it safe and pulled the pin on that idea… 2021 hit us with the supply chain crisis, so it makes sense they’re in low numbers… definitely a sweet spot 

11 hours ago, SlowCarPls said:

All seem to be in Australia.

If you're buying an RS to drive, I can't imagine why you'd buy a GT3RS when you can have one of these for 40-50% the price. 

For those in the position of being able to buy either, I'm sure it'd mainly come down to a prestige kinda thing with owning a 911 GT3RS, and not "Just a tarted up Cayman" as some people say in the video comments, and I think most of us know that a big percentage of owners of these cars only use them to pop down to the local cars n coffee meets, and not beat the shit out of it in the hills or a track day...unlike some of the owners on here who do use them as intended.

As much as I'd be happy to own either, fortunately (or unfortunately) I'll never have that dilemma of having to choose one, yet after watching a few track focussed videos of GT4RS's lately (Nurburgring mainly), dare I ask would you need much more than a GT4 for the road? A well driven Cayman are a pretty handy car in the right hands, so I imagine a GT4RS would be ridiculously good fun in the right environment 

11 hours ago, LeeM said:

A well driven Cayman are a pretty handy car in the right hands, so I imagine a GT4RS would be ridiculously good fun in the right environment 

It's an interesting point you raise, a couple of guys I garaged with over the years in PC super-sprints have had the last few 911 RS cars, the 992 is the one they chose to sat out on because they simply couldn't see the value in the extra spend for the tracks we drive on... the GT4RS is the value sweet spot for them and many. 

As great/capable as the 992 RS is, I can't help but feel that you look a bit of dickhead down at your local cafe in one.... 

Future classic 🤔

Right size, not as shouty as a 992RS, shorter gearing makes it more exploitable on road without giving too much away on track, so well balanced and the noise never gets old (don’t believe the hype).  I still laugh out loud every drive, a year/7500km later. 

It’s everything I want in an RS product.  Sure there’s quite a few on market but it’ll settle when they move into the hands of those who understand the RS remit. 

I always expect a car will drop in value so I’m never disappointed when they do 🤷‍♂️. To the shifty flipper crew, I hope you cop the depreciation in the neck so next time you willconsider shares or property and stop robbing enthusiasts of their dream 🤣

PS remember when a 996 GT3 was out of favour (fried egg headlights annd poxy interior)  and there were a dozen for sale at $85-$100k?  

remember when a 964 was the shittest of the air cooled and a C2 manual was 50 grand?  

They all go through phases………don’t miss the 4RS boat.

12 hours ago, DJM said:

PS remember when a 996 GT3 was out of favour (fried egg headlights annd poxy interior)  and there were a dozen for sale at $85-$100k?  

remember when a 964 was the shittest of the air cooled and a C2 manual was 50 grand?  

They all go through phases………don’t miss the 4RS boat.

Definitely... even 997 RS etc, those use to be a dealer order car that sat on the lot... this whole business of speccing your build is a rather new one, relatively speaking.