warning this contains disturbing images

AndyS

Big mistake showing my 11 year old.

"Yeah right dad. Ferraris are always catching on fire because they are rubbish"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Extract from PP post:

Just discovered a report on car fires from a German insurance institution that should be of interest. Sadly Porsche leads the statistics by a wide margin. Specifically older 911 models show extremely high claim rates (industry average is 1.4 claims per 1,000 vehicles). Even if the relatively small number of registered vehicles and the unknown share of insurance fraud (report estimates 40% !!) makes this statistic somewhat questionable, it certainly is a good warning to all of us to check for fire safety. The main sources of car fires (not specific for Porsche) are reported to be:

27% Engine and/or carburetors
26% Heating and ignition system
18% Cable and radio equipment
29% Exhaust system

Clip_21138659140.jpg

Wise words from Jack Olsen on PP:

"A lot of times, as a group, we get worked up about safety hazards when there is statistically very little reason to worry.

With fuel/oil/electrical fires, I think the danger is very real. I'm glad this thread was posted, and I'm glad that the German insurance information is available.

It would be a worthwhile Pelican effort to make sure that every pre-1990 911 has a fire extingisher in it."

I always carry a fire extinguisher now, as after I spent 6 months building my last car, A week after I got it on the road I had an electric fire, when a battery moved and shorted. I had a fire extinguisher for Sound Quality competition that I thought I would never need and used it to put it out, It saved  me watching my pride and joy burn to the ground. If I had to wait for fire brigade it would have been all over red rover.

Cheap insurance

I always carry a fire extinguisher now, as after I spent 6 months building my last car, A week after I got it on the road I had an electric fire, when a battery moved and shorted. I had a fire extinguisher for Sound Quality competition that I thought I would never need and used it to put it out, It saved me watching my pride and joy burn to the ground. If I had to wait for fire brigade it would have been all over red rover.

Cheap insurance

I had a similar experience with a Rangie. A live power lead came loose under the dash and up it went. Used the fire extinguisher and saved the truck. In hindsight I should have let it go. ;)

I've had a fire extinguisher in my cars ever since.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived