80's Look Stereo - your thoughts?

84911C

Hi all, this is my first post as a new member and as a first time Porsche owner  :)

I recently purchased an 84' 911 (see aviator pic) and everything looks stock except the radio. The previous owner stuck a Kenwood CD unit in the dash... so been searching for a replacement so that the dash looks 'stock'.

Does anyone know if these are any good, and if they match the era of this car?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271197509382?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thanks everyone!

I went through the same thing, looked at the retro sound units though (and I've since heard one and they don't sound very good)

I guess if looks is what you want and you're not too worried about sound quality, the retro sound units might be the way to go (with a variety of face plates/dials etc)

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/category/id/12

I ended up with a 'not very retro' Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT thanks to wasser's suggestion (and the fact it had Bluetooth)

Plenty of options around these days, I remember seeing one advertised as a namebrand like Becker "Mexicana" or similar but can't readily find it now. Have a look at this one, scroll down a bit as it is available in black as well as the chrome face.

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/classic_car_radio/Classic+Car+Radio

Hi All, Thanks guys, yeh I'm not to worried about the sound as (I like the sound of the motor better) I just want it took in keeping with the dash.

@tomoaus: i'll check that out thanks!

@Uncle: Thanks mate - i'll be a regular!

@RussR: Yeh saw those oneBay too, yet i'm hoping that the one i posted looks a bit more 'original'  - am I right? I have no idea what the original looked like!!

Also with your new stereo does the Bluetooth work ok? Ie can people hear you ok over the engine noise?

Cheers,

Steve

You can find some nice 80's Blaupunkts and Beckers on ebay, you can add an aux in cord so you can run your Smartphone music through it.

I Use a Blaupunkt BT420 and the Bluetooth works extremely well. As Russ says, its not very retro but it does suit the 911 dash and is a Blaupunkt.

I hate the flashy lights ones so this was a good compromise.

I was going to get a retro sound Bluetooth unit for my 912 but am now chasing a Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio and will just have an aux in for my phone.

It will only have one 6 x 9 Speaker in the dash top anyway so not going to ever have big sound.

You can find some nice 80's Blaupunkts and Beckers on ebay, you can add an aux in cord so you can run your Smartphone music through it.

I Use a Blaupunkt BT420 and the Bluetooth works extremely well. As Russ says, its not very retro but it does suit the 911 dash and is a Blaupunkt.

I hate the flashy lights ones so this was a good compromise.

I was going to get a retro sound Bluetooth unit for my 912 but am now chasing a Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio and will just have an aux in for my phone.

It will only have one 6 x 9 Speaker in the dash top anyway so not going to ever have big sound.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the comment about the flashy lights, its exactly what I hate.

Hi All, Thanks guys, yeh I'm not to worried about the sound as (I like the sound of the motor better) I just want it took in keeping with the dash.

@tomoaus: i'll check that out thanks!

@Uncle: Thanks mate - i'll be a regular!

@RussR: Yeh saw those oneBay too, yet i'm hoping that the one i posted looks a bit more 'original'  - am I right? I have no idea what the original looked like!!

Also with your new stereo does the Bluetooth work ok? Ie can people hear you ok over the engine noise?

Cheers,

Steve

I've had the roof off at 100km/h and been able to have a conversation, and that's with the internal microphone! so I'd say it works very well

I've had the roof off at 100km/h and been able to have a conversation, and that's with the internal microphone! so I'd say it works very well

thats awesome!

Just so you can compare modern to period stereo units, here's the original 1980 vintage lump'o'crap from my 911. All the mod. cons ... Push button am/fm tuner, auto reverse cassette ooh! Wow! :)
The box attached is a radio signal booster (aka 1kg of dead weight)

image-1.jpg

Pls. excuse the link. iPhone won't use the image loader tool :( {edit.  Image fixed}

Thanks for all the welcoming, it's good to see the Porsche people are a friendly bunch! I feel the love

I'm keen to hear from anyone who has a good 'new' looking old skool radio.

Otherwise I'm think of going for one of the blue tooth ones that RussR has recommended.

Ps, Harvs11, I can see why everyone has ditched the originals!!

• 1 month later...

I had a think about what I actually listen to, and cassettes and CD's weren't on the list. All my stuff is either mp3 or just the radio.

So I went with the Jaycar Response unit.  I'll fit an amp and decent speakers at a later date.

20130615_153445_zpsc04e4ee6.jpg

20130615_153438_zps52be6d3d.jpg

Pretty happy with the plain look, crisp display and basic-ness of it. Hard to tell how it sounds until I fit the amp and speakers.  What is in the car at the moment is junk.

Yeah someone has previously texta'd the chips black and of course it just rubs off. 

Wiring is tidy now, that was straight after I had slid the head unit in place.  I've since taped and tied it all in place.

Whole car needs a real good detail, and is waiting for me to give it new carpets.

Archived