930 cab to 930 hardtop...

Niko

Can be done, theres a thread on Pelican showing this... essentially you need to source a long rear and cut the roof, pillars and top of the quarters and back panel.... hard to find people that are good with metal working these days and you'd need to choose your shop wisely... a few old school people around that could do it though....

Yep, nice work Niko.

To do this well is going to cost a good 40k.

You want a good shop doing this job, if they will do it at all.

I am sure some of the Porsche body shops would refuse or talk you out of it.

Better to just get another 930.  :)

You're kidding aren't you???

Just sell it and buy a Coupe. It's always going to be a converted cab no matter how nice a job you do of the conversion and worth less than a coupe.

There's shop here in Canberra that could do it, his work is excellent, fabricates his own 356 sills and things from scratch for restorations. But it would cost big dollars. Like Vas said $40k is probably not that far off...

Porsche used to sell a factory hardtop accessory that simply attached on to the cab body. The idea was that you would put it on over the winter months, particularly in Europe, then take it off over the summer and have your cab back. That would be the best option - sourcing one might be tad difficult though...

Cheers Antony

There was a genuine 77 930 on ebay recently, had been converted to a cab over the years and had the C2 look...  The work had been done by Exoticars back in the 90's when they where turning over lots of Porsches...

Anyway this car was on the market rather cheap so potentially the buyer might be thinking of restoring it back to its former glory...?

there are a few converted cab race cars, the extra bracing of the coupe coupled with the rigidity of the coupe conversion really help.

finding the roof shouldn't be hard.

if he can find an honest bodyshop, much better than leaving it as a humpbacked cabriolet if he has an attachment to that particular car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I paid 28k for my 77 930, Aus del original and all matching numbers , note-  factory centre console, rare sunroof,upgraded brakes,with excellent mechanicals and excellent condition under all the fittings, nuts , no rust, smells new and the only squeaking is the leather seat, i just did a trip to adelaide and back and all perfect

BUT A prev owner converted it to a cab , hence the low price i paid, lucky

to get it back to Factory hardtop spec is around 10k i will also b going back to factory on gearbox and wheels

28 +10 = 38k-40k total for a stunning rare short block 3.0 with factory 1.5 bar boost guage, (i think 3.3 didnt have these) and harder revving engine over 3.3 anyday of week,- And for around 40k, a bargain...the ebay one sounds similar to mine with c2 update :(, seems these conversions were popular at one time, ill be getting rid of mine,

I think it is well worth the expense, to bring them back to specs, Zag Auto in Penrith will be doing mine, they do a lot of roofs, and you cant see any difference, plus my VIN states its a coupe with sunroof , so i feel its important to do.

I doubt amany will care if conversion to coupe is a quality job, depends on taste, and theyre getting rarer to find ;)

Archived