Cayenne as tow vehicle

If its purely a tow vehicle you are looking for, then personally, id look at something else; but if you want to cart a family around and use it as a daily driver etc, then it may be worth looking at. My 2 cents.

Cheers

Danny

Make sure the valve body on the gearbox has been addressed and budget 5-10k minimum annually for maintenance and service costs..these cars are super heavy on consumables like brakes, tyres, supension, and fuel.. otherwise they're a pretty comfortable car... oh and check the following have been rectified.. water coolant pipes, starter motor, & coils

These cars are the next 928 maintenance wise..

Not sure what kind of Cayenne you'd get for that money? (I do look from time to time) but seems like your choice would be from the bottom of the barrel with that budget.

I can safely vouch for an X5 though, I just offloaded my one (to buy a P car of course) I had an 06 E53 Sport (3.0 TDI) and done numerous 2000km round trips with a car trailer, it never missed a beat! They handle towing exceptionally well and you could buy a nice one of those for around $30K ~ today. Maintenance aint too bad, tyres every 40-50K and brakes about the same. 

Good luck.

Touareg any better?

All in the same boat... these cars are getting old now and price have dropped for a reason.. upkeep $$$

I'm currently looking at selling the Cayenne Turbo to get into a newer Range Rover... (for the missus) to give you an idea trade in prices on the Cayenne Turbo with a full book circa 30k on a car that was worth 200k+ 9 years ago and none of the ones on the private market seem to be moving at prices advertised..

Not sure what kind of Cayenne you'd get for that money? (I do look from time to time) but seems like your choice would be from the bottom of the barrel with that budget.

I can safely vouch for an X5 though, I just offloaded my one (to buy a P car of course) I had an 06 E53 Sport (3.0 TDI) and done numerous 2000km round trips with a car trailer, it never missed a beat! They handle towing exceptionally well and you could buy a nice one of those for around $30K ~ today. Maintenance aint too bad, tyres every 40-50K and brakes about the same. 

Good luck.

+1 on the X5, i know of a couple of people with the 3.0tdi and they swear by them...

Have heard many horror stories about X5's (early ones at least), so still do your research on them.

Bad930, how soon are you trading in the Cayenne?  A Range Rover? Really?  Are you only going to keep it for a few years?

Have heard many horror stories about X5's (early ones at least), so still do your research on them.

Bad930, how soon are you trading in the Cayenne?  A Range Rover? Really?  Are you only going to keep it for a few years?

The 4.4 was a bugger engine for the x5 and was carried across into the L322 range rover, however the BMW diesel variants are spot on.

Whilst the early Range Rovers don't enjoy the best reputation they really stepped up a notch with the L322 when BMW then Ford and Jaguar took them over. I'm looking at a Vogue with the supercharged diesel V8 which by all reports is a cracker and a real good buy at the moment.

Hoping to do deal before the month closes.

Don't believe all the horror stories.

There is some truth behind them though, pre 04 X5's are prone to transmission failure as they had the GM 5 speed, the LCI 04-06 got the ZF 6speed. Research engine choices too, the 3.0d is the Trojan

Still, just like a P car buy on condition and if your not savvy get a PPI.. Pro-active maintenance is also key.

Airhead, don't worry....so did I,recently, albeit an older one !!

Re tow cars, depends what your towing. I have a three horse angle float (loaded about 3000kg) which I have towed with a 2.7 CRD jeep Overland ( did a sensational job), a 2007 Nissan Navara 2.5 D40 diesel ( does well enough, and the longer wheel base helps with such a long rig).......and of course my new/ old 2000 grand cherokee 4.7 bugger the environment V8 !!

II guess the biggest thing is not the ability to get the load moving, but keep it in shape and stop it in a hurry when needed, which becomes even more important when you have a moving weight such as horses, so to me the more powerful and capable the better.

for a tow car i would recommend a 200 series or at least a 100 series Landcruiser. Reliability is definitely not an issue nor is torque on the diesel models

I don't like land cruisers or patrols due to the truck like ride quality and the driver's seating arrangement.

I loved my Land Rover discovery(s) (I had a diesel and inherited a V8 version not long after offloading mine) but got sick of feeding it major components.  I inspected a number of E53 X5's and every one of them was garbage. All of the interior trim and door handles seemed to be consistent failures, and the water cooled alternator on the 4.4 had been mentioned many times to me.  The 3.0L and the diesel engines do have a better rep but the longevity of the cabin seems to be poor. The E70 seems to be much better but who knows what the next five years will show up in them.

Anything over 8 years old or 150,000km will run the risk of major failures and probably best avoided if possible, unless you are happy to put up with the truck-like trucks.  I'm not, but nor am I willing to suffer $170,000 of depreciation over the 5-10 years I plan on owning such things, so for me at least I'm happy to budget for the odd hose or water pump here and there.  I'm still interested in the Cayenne, Touareg or E70.  I considered the Merc ML until I sat in one and it was like operating a bookshelf.  Not to mention their reputation is somewhere between early Land Rover Discovery and something from Skoda in the 70's.

Something to be considered is the cost of replacement parts.  Thanks to the likes of Autohaus Hamilton and Pelican, Cayenne parts seem to be reasonable, as are BMW stuff.  Land Rover/Range Rover has plenty of overseas places to source parts from (and even the local extortionists have woken up and fixed their supply chain to be more competitive). Audi is still dear as they come, so the Q series would be off the list.

I don't like land cruisers or patrols due to the truck like ride quality and the driver's seating arrangement.

I loved my Land Rover discovery(s) (I had a diesel and inherited a V8 version not long after offloading mine) but got sick of feeding it major components.  I inspected a number of E53 X5's and every one of them was garbage. All of the interior trim and door handles seemed to be consistent failures, and the water cooled alternator on the 4.4 had been mentioned many times to me.  The 3.0L and the diesel engines do have a better rep but the longevity of the cabin seems to be poor. The E70 seems to be much better but who knows what the next five years will show up in them.

Anything over 8 years old or 150,000km will run the risk of major failures and probably best avoided if possible, unless you are happy to put up with the truck-like trucks.  I'm not, but nor am I willing to suffer $170,000 of depreciation over the 5-10 years I plan on owning such things, so for me at least I'm happy to budget for the odd hose or water pump here and there.  I'm still interested in the Cayenne, Touareg or E70.  I considered the Merc ML until I sat in one and it was like operating a bookshelf.  Not to mention their reputation is somewhere between early Land Rover Discovery and something from Skoda in the 70's.

Something to be considered is the cost of replacement parts.  Thanks to the likes of Autohaus Hamilton and Pelican, Cayenne parts seem to be reasonable, as are BMW stuff.  Land Rover/Range Rover has plenty of overseas places to source parts from (and even the local extortionists have woken up and fixed their supply chain to be more competitive). Audi is still dear as they come, so the Q series would be off the list.

Early land rovers are fun if you're handy with tools ... heres the best tow car I've ever owned running a modified 4.6 Motec injected.. heaps of fun especially in the mud..!!!

Do you need a dedicated tow car or a family hauler as welll ?

post-1013-0-95322600-1370558511_thumb.jp

I'll see your 2000 grand cherokee 4.7 bugger the environment V8 and raise you one Grand Cherookee 5.7litre V8 bugger the enviroment even more!

Seriously - It's a great tow car. Race car on the trailer out back and spares loaded up inside, cruise control on 110ks and away we go. No issue what so ever.

Archived