BMW 3.0 CSi - any advice?

Just giving you options mate :D The BMW is a beautiful car, I couldn't have it for a daily driver as the thought of leaving it parked somewhere it could be dinged or pinched would turn me grey. I guess it all depends where you go in your daily driver.

I agree, I couldn't use it as a daily driver. In my eyes they are a classic. If I could sell my e30 I would by an M5 as a daily drive. Big and comfortable with lots of room and plenty of performance.

The reason I can't sell my e30 is that every time I give it a bit of stick, the handling surprises me and leaves a big smile on my face. And the harder I push it the more it surprises and pleases me!

If I had room and the budget for a 3.0CS I would definitely buy one. They ooz class and style that many modern designd cars can only dream about.

I don't think Scotty owns the correct wide brimmed hat to drive a Volvo anyway. There are quite a few 635CSI's on carsales, while not as pretty I would'nt be too worried leaving it in a shopping center car park.

cp5403465452058662631.jpg?height=700&asp

Try an M5. Great cars and plenty of room and power.

I looked at the M's when the first OP came up. Some good options there from E28 I think M535i through to MY2000 odd M5 depending on budget. It's got me even considering some.

E39 M5 is an awesome car but does have high service costs for the consumables like clutch, tyres, etc.

An E34 M5 is the last of the special, handbuilt M cars, and is pretty rare and special.

A 635csi is a nice, stylish car that is becoming a classic. But beware UK imports of which there are many. I knew a guy who rally prepared a 635csi and bought an old 633 on eBay for parts. It turned up as a piece of Swiss cheese - just a complete rust bucket. BMW didn't sort out their corrosion resistance until the 90s.

If you want to go left field, you can get a v12 8 series for play money these days.

I have heard the v8 in the E39 M5 doesn't age gracefully and can have problems, whereas the E34 M5 with the six is bulletproof. This would be my pick. The six is just so inherently torquey and smooth.

• 4 weeks later...

tumblr_m8wnjxgiRM1qer7q9o1_500.jpg

Long time ago, when being irresposnsible was in vogue, a friend of mine got air in his dads Volvo that was the earlier model of this. Was westbound along Raymont road in Brisbane, if people know the location. It was a traumatic experience for me in the passenger seat, which is why it is seared into my memory. Every time i see a boxy Volvo wagon, I get flashbacks.

It must have been one hell of a hill, because I didn't think they went fast enough to get airborne!

Yes, just drive westbound along Raymont road and keep it floored. The last hill drops away sharply so it's less a case of jumping and more a case of the road falling away beneath the car. Horrendously dangerous.

There are numerous 'air' locations around Brisbane, though many have been traffic calmed out of existence. Was never a participant myself, but I knew some seriously dangerous young men who used to go out and try and do jumps, when they weren't trying to hold massive slides around roundabouts, long before drifting was even a thing.

Archived