Buying a 964 - any views on this car?

JimmyP

I kicked the tyres on this one mid to late April, from memory its at the Ford dealer on Pennant Hills Road, just down from Bunning and Maccas. It was poorly presented and not what I was looking for so I didn't drive it but did make the following observations.

Battery dead flat, not even a glimmer from the interior light

Has had two child seats in the back for some time and the kids were not kind to the car at all. Milk stains, scuff marks from shoes, rub marks from the child seats on the Porsche seats.

Motor and cable for the rear grill had been butchered and required replacing

Minor ding in passenger door

Minor ding in front left bumper

Needs stone chips touched up

Salesman speaks of detailed history

Low KMs

By the looks of the ad now they have detailed the interior so might present how a Porsche (well any car) should. If your in the market then worth a closer look for sure.

Ben- Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. If the price is right I don't mind a few bits to fix up so could be a goer. I will look at a PPI and you're right it is at the ford dealer. Cheers.

Good luck Jimmy, keep us posted.

From memory Ian was the guy I was speaking to, he will make you sit down and go through the history he has for it to gauge you're interest before allowing you to go for a drive.

I love the colour combo on this one!

Being a 1990 model, the mirrors and wheels are obviously not original to the car. Actually, the wheels look like replicas to me, but I might be wrong...

The child restraint points are not original fitments, and were probably added at some later time - although they are commonly fitted to imported cars, so it might be worth checking if it's an import.

The high level brake light in Oz cars were fitted beneath the roof against the rear windscreen, so perhaps another indicator it could be an import...

Later Oz cars weren't fitted with the rear fog lights, although I'm uncertain about the early ones - this one has a rear fog switch.

The engine sound pad hasn't sagged and perished like they usually have in these cars, which probably means its been replaced - which requires an engine drop, which usually means a reseal, clutch or top-end at some point.

I can't see the distributor vent modification fitted, which was a recall item on these cars. Although mine hadn't had it done either.

And of course - PPI, PPI, PPI!!!

I really hope it all checks out, these are fantastic cars and you will love it!

Did Australian delivered cars have an external antenna for the radio on the front quarter panel? It's something that came up at the last QLD SMT but I don't think we had a definitive answer. My 964 is a European import and has the antenna in the windscreen. I wouldn't let an import deter you if it's in good nick, it does however effect the price. Australian delivered car's do have a premium over imports. It is the cheapest 964 Carrera 4 on carsales at the moment.

if that was a 2 and not a 4, how much more would it be?

i know this may seem a pointless question to those in the know, but I am trying to calibrate my expectations for my next purchase...

It'd be a low km manual C2 coupe in a desirable colour combo, but an early one, so my guess would be ~ $60K private sale, and higher for a dealer sale.

Did Australian delivered cars have an external antenna for the radio on the front quarter panel? It's something that came up at the last QLD SMT but I don't think we had a definitive answer. My 964 is a European import and has the antenna in the windscreen. I wouldn't let an import deter you if it's in good nick, it does however effect the price. Australian delivered car's do have a premium over imports. It is the cheapest 964 Carrera 4 on carsales at the moment.

I've never seen an Oz delivery coupe with an external antenna, although I've seen cabriolets with-and-without, apparently Oz delivered.

And you're right, nothing wrong with an import as long as it checks out! 

This car has been on Carsales for a while - has any one looked at it or have any advice?  Thanks in advance.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/AGC-AD-13118853/?Cr=0#carfacts-container

Although, if I were in the market now I'd have a hard time going past this one -

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-1130985/?Cr=4

Such good value for money - the only C2 manual coupe available for the last few months, with an engine rebuild and recent clutch to boot! With the money saved I'd freshen up the interior, get a decent paint correction done, and drive it for 20 years.

Although, if I were in the market now I'd have a hard time going past this one -

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-1130985/?Cr=4

Such good value for money - the only C2 manual coupe available for the last few months, with an engine rebuild and recent clutch to boot! With the money saved I'd freshen up the interior, get a decent paint correction done, and drive it for 20 years.

Peter,

I'm surprised that it's still for sale!  I thought by now someone would have either posted that they have bought it OR alternately posted why they had given it a miss.

This one is on my list to look at.

If only I had some spare time at the moment to go to Melbourne ..... 

Thanks for the insights guys. The import thread has intrigued me... It doesn't have a rear wiper which is interesting but I guess it may have been on the 'delete' option list. Worth a look I guess. There is another one on car sales for another $15k. The red one... Looks more original and claims (and no doubt is) Australian delivered. The premium is worth paying as a Brit who grew up where they salted roads in the winter I can see why Australian delivered is important. This one is low kms and a decent price....too good to be true perhaps...

Good luck Jimmy, keep us posted.

From memory Ian was the guy I was speaking to, he will make you sit down and go through the history he has for it to gauge you're interest before allowing you to go for a drive.

Ian is the owner of the dealership and I used to work for him occasionally. It used to be called Cars Auto Haus and they have another yard up the road which usually has sports cars such as this one. 

Being a 1990 model, the mirrors and wheels are obviously not original to the car. Actually, the wheels look like replicas to me, but I might be wrong...

No Peter, you are right - wheels are replicas !

Whilst I'm now a 964 guy, the ride height looks too high...

Or are most 964s slightly lowered?

Perhaps its got lower profile tyres than most?

It almost looks like US spec springs <_<

So, I am just fresh back from a look at this car.  I'm new to this and so this was a mission of exploration, ahead of a decision, a PPI and a bit of fettling.  The car is a personal import and was delivered new to Hong Kong- brought to Australia in May 2003.  This explains the fog lights, the lack of a rear wiper and to a certain extent the very low kms.  It presents well for a 23 yr old car that hasn't been restored. If the wheels are replicas I would have no idea but putting an original set back on is easy.  

Nice spot Peter on the sound pad - it is new as the car has has $22k of work done to the engine to address the common problem experienced at 80-100k kms (top end / bottom end??) and the clutch has been refreshed as well.  

I didn't review any of the paperwork at this stage having taken Ian's word for it for now. Seems like a gent and will sell the car with a 2 yr warranty and a year's road tax.  He's an avid Porsche fan and you get the sense he's not putting anyone into a duff ride.  We talked about the interior and how to refresh it with genuine materials which is probably an option.  The motors in the seats are tired and the stereo was not original. More or less everything else looked intact (save for the wheels and mirrors if indeed the HK spec was not the square variety). Cigar lighter never used, ashtray clean.

We had a drive and after the flappy paddle car I have it was a taste of what real driving was all about - i certainly didn't have time to send a SMS or do anything other than concentrate on the road. Ian drove it first and gave it a spirited punt which was fun, I gave it a bit of a run and it felt tight, rattle free and visceral.

Conclusion?  I need to think about whether I am ready to drive something like this (not as a daily Driver), line up a PPI and go from there.

Thanks for the advice and pointers and if you read this far - good on you!

JP.

There is another one on car sales for another $15k. The red one... Looks more original and claims (and no doubt is) Australian delivered. The premium is worth paying as a Brit who grew up where they salted roads in the winter I can see why Australian delivered is important.

Actually the red one is also a Hong Kong delivery. IIRC, it was restored extensively by a Sydneysider who was active on Rennlist - he painted it himself, but got the motor redone professionally. For some reason he put it up for sale shortly thereafter for a bargain of $50K, and it was immediately snapped up by the Melbourne mechanic who now owns it.

Within a week or two of purchasing it, the current owner had re-advertised it for $15K more ($65K) using the same photos and description, obviously looking to flip it for a profit. That was ~ 2009, and the car has been listed for sale ever since. At one point, the price had climbed close to $70K. I always regretted missing out on it when it had originally been listed, and almost ponied up the $65K, but couldn't get passed being annoyed at the current owner's blatant profiteering!

So, I am just fresh back from a look at this car.  I'm new to this and so this was a mission of exploration, ahead of a decision, a PPI and a bit of fettling.  The car is a personal import and was delivered new to Hong Kong- brought to Australia in May 2003.  This explains the fog lights, the lack of a rear wiper and to a certain extent the very low kms.  It presents well for a 23 yr old car that hasn't been restored. If the wheels are replicas I would have no idea but putting an original set back on is easy.  

Nice spot Peter on the sound pad - it is new as the car has has $22k of work done to the engine to address the common problem experienced at 80-100k kms (top end / bottom end??) and the clutch has been refreshed as well.  

I didn't review any of the paperwork at this stage having taken Ian's word for it for now. Seems like a gent and will sell the car with a 2 yr warranty and a year's road tax.  He's an avid Porsche fan and you get the sense he's not putting anyone into a duff ride.  We talked about the interior and how to refresh it with genuine materials which is probably an option.  The motors in the seats are tired and the stereo was not original. More or less everything else looked intact (save for the wheels and mirrors if indeed the HK spec was not the square variety). Cigar lighter never used, ashtray clean.

We had a drive and after the flappy paddle car I have it was a taste of what real driving was all about - i certainly didn't have time to send a SMS or do anything other than concentrate on the road. Ian drove it first and gave it a spirited punt which was fun, I gave it a bit of a run and it felt tight, rattle free and visceral.

Conclusion?  I need to think about whether I am ready to drive something like this (not as a daily Driver), line up a PPI and go from there.

Thanks for the advice and pointers and if you read this far - good on you!

JP.

Sounds like you had fun! If I was in your shoes I would still plan go over all the paperwork with a fine-toothed comb, get a comprehensive PPI, and then take things from there.

The engine work is doubtless a top-end rebuild, the bottom-ends on these cars are indestructible. It seems a little premature to have required this at such low kms, the usual case seems to be 150K kms for a top-end. You want to go through the paperwork to find out what exactly was and wasn't replaced in the top-end rebuild, and also who did it and how long ago.

A used car warranty on these vehicles probably isn't worth much - used car warranties peddled by dealers as sweeteners tend to have quite a limited scope and are usually capped at a few hundred dollars.

Finally, keeping on with your due diligence, it's be worth looking at a few more examples to familiarise yourself with what these cars generally look and feel like with differing mileages and states of care. 

• 1 month later...

Archived