A bit more low end in a 996 3.6

philipk

I have a 2002  which I love and use as a daily driver.

Cannot afford a 991 and do not want a 997.

Still pulls like a freight train in high revs.

I would love more power in low end revs,

What do I do?

Tranplant a 3.8?

Do a big bore kit?

Don't tell me to sell it, I drove a ute for 30 years and love my car.

$20,000 What would you do?

I go to LA alot {my wife says too much} and could bring back a 3.8.

Thoughts?

Yes I agree about devaluing, but I bet if you check the US there will be some bolt on small supercharger that would do the trick.

I know a couple of guys who have done this to BMWs and they are literally bolt ons. As long as you don't go nuts and put a big one on it should tick the box for low end power.

So it sounds like you are pretty intent on keeping your 996 and fair enough too.  If you have no intentions of selling it in the future therefore the resale value is far less of a priority than getting more grunt and enjoyment out of the car now, then modifying is the only way to go.

If you have access to parts in the USA then you are one step ahead of most people here.  I would sign up to a few 911 forums in the USA and check out the options for swapping in a 3.8L (and all the other bits required!!)  I have read a fair few stories of people swapping 911 motors into their Boxsters and I must admit...  It looks like a lot of fun indeed!

So if you haven't already started reading up on motor swap options then I recommend doing so.  You will soon decide if it is the right path for you.  

So it sounds like you are pretty intent on keeping your 996 and fair enough too.  If you have no intentions of selling it in the future therefore the resale value is far less of a priority than getting more grunt and enjoyment out of the car now, then modifying is the only way to go.

If you have access to parts in the USA then you are one step ahead of most people here.  I would sign up to a few 911 forums in the USA and check out the options for swapping in a 3.8L (and all the other bits required!!)  I have read a fair few stories of people swapping 911 motors into their Boxsters and I must admit...  It looks like a lot of fun indeed!

So if you haven't already started reading up on motor swap options then I recommend doing so.  You will soon decide if it is the right path for you.  

Sign up to Rennlist. Heaps goes on there. But a fair few idiots who post "how to change my wheel" threads. 

Or Reutterwerk. That is newer but more technical. less idiots. 

personally I would steer away from a big power increase as I tend to agree with the hartech view point that the 3.6L NA  engine is about the design limit for what the engine can reliably handle without substantial internal beefing up and additional cooling measures to cope with significant power increases.

Archived