Tyre dilemma. Help please

Simonk

As some of you know, the only street tyre you can get for the rear of my car (245/45/16) is the Toyo T1R so that's what I've got on the back. I need to replace the front which is 205/55/16 but Toyo no longer make the T1R in that size. They do make it in 205/50/16 but the diameter is 20mm less than the OEM recommended size. Sidewall therefore 10mm less.

So my dilemma is, do I go for the 50 profile tyre with the same tread pattern as the rear or do I stick with the recommended size and go for something like the T1 Sport which has a completely different tread pattern. I know speedo will be affected if I go smaller but Im more concerned with aesthetics.

Simple answer is that some people drive with different patterns/sizes F to R, you just have to drive to the conditions presented - car or road.

Just try to stick to OEM specs or ratios.

You could maybe go to 17" although different rim, and I could probably help with that as I may have rims to suit.

I started with 16" and now run 18" and grip levels are chalk and cheese. Just get speedo check with any changes.

Cheers,Mark.

When i bought my 7/9's the front tread was still very good but replaced the rears with T1R's. The fronts are not toyo's but the correct profile.. its not a deal breaker for me as far as pattern.. when the front's go, i may put the T1 sport

Thanks guys. We fitted the 50 aspect tyres this morning and they just didn't look right so I got some Proxes4s in the correct size, mainly because they're directional. Opinions of them seem to be ok. My first impression...LOUD!!! Bloody hell! Never had a tyre so loud! We'll see how they perform at GOR. I can put up with noise if they work well. It's not as if my car is quiet inside anyway.

I'm guessing this might be the last set of street tyres for these 7s and 9s. Unless Toyo continue to make 245/45/16. It might be R specs next time around.

Tire Rack have Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 in both 205/55/16 and 245/45/16, if you want to keep all tyres the same

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE-11

Hey, great find. Great price too. Don't know how much shipping would be but good to know there is actually another manufacturer to choose from.

As some of you know, the only street tyre you can get for the rear of my car (245/45/16) is the Toyo T1R so that's what I've got on the back. I need to replace the front which is 205/55/16 but Toyo no longer make the T1R in that size

Are those the original tyre sizes? or modified a bit already?

Are those the original tyre sizes? or modified a bit already?

Original 930 and 3.2 Carrera M491 tyre sizes. I'd like to keep the original wheels on the car for as long as possible. The alternative would be to get some 17" Euromeisters or Rotas (Fuch knock offs) if it became impossible to get new tyres for them.

It's good to know Bridgestone have some also even if it would be a little pricey to get them over here.

• 2 months later...

I put Bridgestone RE11's on my 964C4 after a couple of lurid spins on the tyres that I brought it with. Also put them on my mx5. Couldn't speak highly enough of them, amazing tyre in my experience. I would have no hesitation going down that route.

Archived