Carcoon, anyone got one?

Ben C3.o

Hey all,

I've been thinking of getting a drive in version of the Carcoon for a while now. If you have one or know of someone with one I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

My main reasons for wanting one is to stop having to put the covers on and off the car when I want to use it. Avoid possibly scratching the car with the covers. I don't have to worry about parking it in the garage with the doors open after washing it for a few days allowing it to dry. And most of all I will be able to admire it when I jump in the daily drive rather than just the shape of her under the covers.

Not a cheap product at all at $1665 delivered but looks like a quality bit of gear.

I have read these posts but not much feedback on the product in them.

Cheers

Ben

Ben,

It still looks like you need to drag the top half of the carcoon across your car before you zip it to the base before inflating it.

How about just partitioning off part of your garage with a clear pvc blind like they have at restaurants and running some sort of dehumidifier - http://www.aussiebills.com.au/pvc/pvc.htm

http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/dehumidifiers/

I imagine you could just drive in and then roll down or zip up the blind behind you. Might be a thousand bucks cheaper but yeah, I know we don't buy old Porsches to save money... :-)

I am pretty fussy with my car, keeping it clean, cover clean etc. so as not to scratch. There is just something about the Carcoon's that makes me feel like I have gone too far.................?

Peter makes a good point, I have been renovating my garage to get it 'sealed' and as clean as any room in the house. Its now been well insulated and lined, no gaps, dust draft, moisture etc. to ensure a safe bedroom the cars.

They are a pretty special sleeping bag for your baby though, interested to hear others views.....................

Hey Pete,

They have a drive in/out version which I would be going for.

I have considered doing something like you have mentiuoned and like Hugh line the garage but the loss of storage space restricting access to the rafters and not being able to completly seal the garage door has lead me to look at the carcoon.

Hugh, I'm the first to admit I am extreemly fussy with everything I do and noone who knows me well would be suprised I kept my car in a bubble, infact they would wonder why I stopped at the car I recon.

The more I think about it I like the idea of the drying function. Currently after washing the car I park her in the garage with the bonnet up and the doors ajar before covering her up with light blankets. She then sits like that for a few days to fully dry before I close the doors and put the actual car cover over her. Leaving doors ajar is just asking for the better half to acidently drive into it after a long day at work or at night.

I like the idea...

my wife got a quote to grind the floor of the garage and seal it to stop the dust etc...

$4K

Less than $1700 for one (or even 2) of these bad boys doesn't sound bad....

but i'm a little challenged for space....

Hey Bafe,

You don't have to grind the floor to seal it, a good clean or coat of paint could be all you need to do prior to hitting it with a clear sealer.

I've done both, great for cleaning as everything wipes right off.

No need to grind the floor as Hugh said. Just give it a good clean then DIY some 2 pac epoxy floor paint. It's one of the best things I've ever done to my workshop.

It's a light grey so less light is needed to brighten the place up and you can see anything you have dropped. I can also just give it a mop and everything just wipes off. It's safe to say my workshop is a high traffic area and no signs of any wear after 2 and a bit years.

As for the carcoon. No a bad idea really. One of my old bosses had a Mini in one for years at a time and it was always dust free and dry.

Hey Bafe,

You don't have to grind the floor to seal it, a good clean or coat of paint could be all you need to do prior to hitting it with a clear sealer.

I've done both, great for cleaning as everything wipes right off.

Hey Hugh,

I have a few oil stains that I'm told I should remove or the paint / sealer will just bubble and lift.

I've tried some degreasers etc but its still there (not horrific but there) and in the centre of the floor of course so if the paint/sealer were to fault it would be visible....

But i really like the idea of a clean floor garage...

If you grind the floor it will expose the aggregate in it. Add some polish/sealer and it will look like this.

acc59987-22a0-4e9e-9ea2-a5cf1f9cce83_zps

Minus the 964 of course.

That's the ultimate of what I want to achieve...  just don't want to pay $4K for it  <_<

That floor looks awesome Barry! We were talking about this very subject today. I want to paint our garage floor and the walls this summer.

What do you do with the oil stains as Ian mentioned? Our cars aren't dropping any but the old owners cars have.

I've read a fair bit on line about removing oil stains

I've tried a few suggestions but the final one will be to leave cement dust over he stains for a few weeks (covered) and hope it get the last bits out

If that does not work I'll have to take the top layer off

Ditto the comment about the reflected 356...that's a classic photo Airhead!

Also, can only applaud such a product.  About 8 months ago, a contractor was sawing bricks outside my townhouse, when I came home, my car looked like it was covered with talcum powder.  Seriously!  I was very nervous hosing off the brick and concrete dust, knowing just how abrasive it is.

It cleaned up nicely, however, I would have preferred to either be informed in advance about the works or to have my car tucked up in a Carcoon as my garage doors do not seal.  I reckon that if I had such a piece of equipment, I might even store the car with the roof down.

I always cleaned driveway oil stains with clothes washing powder (Drive etc.). Just sprinkle it on, fairly thickly. Leave a day or so and hose off if inside the garage. You may have to repeat and even scrub with a stiff broom while damp if in the garage but driveways the weather seems to take care of the wetting process.

Also you can get real good quality concrete coatings from a place I used to work for. Look them up at www.parchem.com.au I have no current affiliation, just a source for anyone interested. They sell acid washing products and a large selection of different types of concrete finishing products and do supply non-tradies. Hit them up for a discount, trust me they have enough markup to give such to retail customers.

I've just redone my garage space re-roofed, plastered and carpeted the floor - I now have my office out here. It is sealed pretty well now and has minimal dust. I use to have them under cover as I had a few roof leaks - now fixed when I had it rebuilt. I now have the cars uncovered and they are dry and only a little dusty. They were more dusty under the covers, my main issue was we live bayside so the salty air is also a problem.

photo_zpsb9570284.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Cris,

So far so good. Its nice to open the garage and be able to admire the car and not the silhouette under the cover.

Easy to set up and simple to use. Just roll it out, plug it in and have a beer. Once inflated jump in with the box of frame parts and zip yourself in. Erect the frame and then open the front and side flap, drive in and then zip up the flaps. It re-inflates in about 2 minutes.

$1,595 + $69 postage for the medium unit. Comes with all you need including a trickle charger which in the event of a power outage runs the fans off the car battery.

I got the drive in indoor carcoon so no. There is a carport version for the same cost or an outdoor version if you need to keep the rain off but its not a drive in /out version but it is cheaper. http://www.carcoon.com.au/products/size-4-outdoor/

Archived