What to buy

TINGY

Ok please don't throw too many rocks at me after reading this.

My wife and I are looking at cars for her. She drives a Toyota Yaris and is "over it", it is a 1.3 ltr and we thought this car would see us through the next 10 years or so but is manual and gutless when you take off to get across an intersection or a roundabout.

I have been looking at Renault Megane, Corolla and my wife likes the Hyundai Veloster.

I didn't like the Veloster at first but I must admit after seeing them in the flesh they have grown on me.

I figured Hyundai must be doing something right as there are so many Hyundai's on the road.

My wife will be driving it everyday so I suppose it will be her call in the end and I really don't think she likes the Corolla or Megane that much.

Has anyone out there got one or know anyone who has one? Thoughts or opinions. 

I had a Golf GTI for years and loved it. A female colleague at work has a Golf TSI (Turbo diesel thing) loves it as well.

A Corolla however, as boring as they are, will (IMO) provide the cheapest hassle free motoring. It also won't depreciate like a Hyundai...

Get her an EVO 8, she'll never be late ever again...

Veloster Turbo - I test drove one and really liked it (more than the hire Corolla/Pulsar/Camry's I've had lately - and I think there's a lot of Nissan in current Renaults)

I think it's based on an old Mitsubishi evo engine so there should be some mods available too!

EDIT: don't think they're under 30k though :( - and the 86/BRZ is an awesome bit of kit too

Yep. under 30k, and I need to fit some grandkids every now and then.

Got it, well if it helps we are very happy with our Audi A1, its a great little car, practical, economical, fun and you can get an Attraction 5 door on the road for your budget. that is a TFSI 1.2L engine or you can spec up to the ambition with the 1.4L BUT prices DO start to head north!

They usually have some promo's this time of year actually where they'll automatically discount by the GST amount.... we negotiated a 'very good deal on ours... pm me if you like.

Only options I would really recommend adding is the Technic package (Xenon lighting, DRL, park assist and some other junk) 

I guess POLO is the lesser variant from VW of the same car.. my sister has a GTI 5 door and you can get those for low $30k on the road new. 

:) good luck with it.

EDIT: not sure of you or your wife's employment terms but if the company you work for is registered as a corporate client you apply for corporate care, which is basically 3 years of no servicing costs... they will even pick up and deliver back to you. 

Portraying my brand preferences here, but I would consider a low km second hand Civic Type R.  Perhaps not quite as striking as a Veloster, but better build quality and engineering.  The Type R would be significantly quicker and better handling than the Veloster.

Portraying my brand preferences here, but I would consider a low km second hand Civic Type R.  Perhaps not quite as striking as a Veloster, but better build quality and engineering.  The Type R would be significantly quicker and better handling than the Veloster.

Yes I have always liked them but also only a 2 door and significantly drinks more fuel, nice car tho.

Since she is used to driving a super-mini, I can suggest that the new Suzuki Swift Sport is truely excellent.

The Megane is good, but having endred a 3 year ownership of an R26 I wont be going back for more.

Swift is terrible legroom in the rear unfortunately and we want something a little bigger this time round as my outback is getting long in the tooth the new car will become our new "family car", even though we have no children under 21.

I think I have finally convinced her that she needs a bigger vehicle and she has conceded to go to a "big" car.

I had a Golf GTI for years and loved it. A female colleague at work has a Golf TSI (Turbo diesel thing) loves it as well.

A Corolla however, as boring as they are, will (IMO) provide the cheapest hassle free motoring. It also won't depreciate like a Hyundai...

Hyundai's have really come a long way, they are great looking cars now.

Like Hyundai's or not but they have come a long way and are now the favourites of fleets because of the low life cycle costs and the drivers like them.  Reliable, 5 year unlimited km warranty even for commercial use, reasonable servicing costs and one of the lowest rates of depreciation makes them the sensible choice.  I know of many fleet managers that have dumped VW Golfs due to poor resale and other issues even thought they have great appeal but the numbers just don't stack up.  We moved away from Toyotas for similar reasons.

My hard won advice is to simply agree on a budget with your wife and let her choose whatever she wants.  Despite my best efforts mine drives a Honda Jazz and raves about it.  I even wrote off her first one accidently taking it to get new tyres one day and she still insisted on getting another as a replacement!  Covey calls it a deposit into the emotional bank account....  

I agree with Uncle. How good are you at negotiating.

Not too bad it seems reax, I just negotiated a very good deal on a Veloster+, I pick it up on Friday in Tweed heads, i'm not looking forward to driving my wifes Yaris all the way though.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove home the new Veloster today and I am pleasantly surprised.

It has nice manners and a fun car to drive and also got as many looks as I would've got in the P car.

My wife loves it so that is good. 

Archived