Got my first 911 - sort of

Black Pearl

After looking for about 2 months a friend found out I was I was on the hunt for a 911. I had vague recollection of him having a 911 but have never seen him with it. Anyhow, he has offered me a loan of the car for a weekend/week to have a longer drive than you normally experience in the test run.....I guess I'll know for sure if 911 ownership and I are compatible

So its a 76 targa with a replacement 3.2 and G50 in guards red. 

Having picked it up last night all I can say is that I love it and it has only strengthened my resolve to find my own.  

Currently stalking a few 3.2's .....I think I am getting obsessed. 

After looking for about 2 months a friend found out I was I was on the hunt for a 911. I had vague recollection of him having a 911 but have never seen him with it. Anyhow, he has offered me a loan of the car for a weekend/week to have a longer drive than you normally experience in the test run.....I guess I'll know for sure if 911 ownership and I are compatible

So its a 76 targa with a replacement 3.2 and G50 in guards red. 

Having picked it up last night all I can say is that I love it and it has only strengthened my resolve to find my own.  

Currently stalking a few 3.2's .....I think I am getting obsessed. 

So to be straight…  this guy gives you his car for the weekend and says "go play"…?

does he need more friends?

Be careful, once you get "the Porsche bug" after borrowing someone else's car, anything can happen...

About 8 weeks ago I was at one of my neighbours house, who likes his cars, and during a conversation Porsches came up and he says to me "I have never driving one", so I replied "here are my keys, go for a drive", he says "really, you sure, really?", me "yep, go for it".

So off he goes with his 8yr old son. Half an hour later he came back with a huge grin on his face and says "I love it, so much different than my Audi RS4, but I get it.'

Go forward a couple of weeks and he texts me thanking me for infecting him with the "Porsche bug" and he is looking at getting one. I am thinking mid 80s one like mine, or an SC, etc, as a weekender.

Then 3 weeks ago he texts again "what are you doing Friday arvo, I have to go for a drive to VicRoads to get the Porsche I bought registered when it gets delivered from Sydney, come for a ride, and I owe you a drive". Of course I will come, why wouldn't I.

That Friday came around 2 weeks ago, and I hear the distinct sound of a flat 6 out the front, so out I go to see him sitting in a 2011 Carrera GTS (he traded in the Audi)!! Not what I was expecting, but I did get my pay back drive in, WOW!

So to be straight…  this guy gives you his car for the weekend and says "go play"…?

does he need more friends?

Friend of mines cousin did that with his 3.2.. gave it to him every so often for the day to drive around. I was obviously very happy to tag along, and even drive it a bit.. only caveat he said was, if anything happens to the car, youre paying for it!

Loving the car but think ill definitely be looking for something newer than this 76 targa. I absolutely love the feel driving her. Haven't even felt the need to put the radio on ...... What a sound. What a personality.

Was quite impressed with the experience driving with the targa roof off yesterday. A spin along the Kew boulevard and there wasn't the wind I was expecting.

Slowly learning how too drive it. Really needs to have the revs up in the 3000-4000 rpm range doesn't it. Is there an idiots quick guide online somewhere with tips on how best to drive one of these girls.

It is making me reconsider using it as a daily driver though? Driving home from work Friday night from Altona to Thornbury in peak hour traffic wasn't much fun. Might need to hold on to my 325 for the work commute I reckon.

Cheers rob

Loving the car but think ill definitely be looking for something newer than this 76 targa. I absolutely love the feel driving her. Haven't even felt the need to put the radio on ...... What a sound. What a personality.

Was quite impressed with the experience driving with the targa roof off yesterday. A spin along the Kew boulevard and there wasn't the wind I was expecting.

Slowly learning how too drive it. Really needs to have the revs up in the 3000-4000 rpm range doesn't it. Is there an idiots quick guide online somewhere with tips on how best to drive one of these girls.

It is making me reconsider using it as a daily driver though? Driving home from work Friday night from Altona to Thornbury in peak hour traffic wasn't much fun. Might need to hold on to my 325 for the work commute I reckon.

Cheers rob

Glad to hear your loving the car. I can't say I know of any quick way to learn how to drive a 911 properly let alone in one that's not yours to bend! Time in the car outside of CBD traffic would be a good start and you will see it take on a new personality pretty quick, sitting alongside someone that can drive a 911 is also a great way to learn what these cars are capable of. Hopefully we can get an SMT this side of Christmas and that's a great way of getting to see a variety of 911's and getting a feel for what may be the right one for you. I'm sure your mate knows how to put it through its paces!

Cheers rob

I think thats the key to owning one of these cars.  Either being able to keep a DD and a classic 911 or go a bit newer for the more all rounder 911.  Whatever fits your budget and storage (nice to have all your cars in a garage). 

Cheers rob

Which part of driving experience does not appeal when it comes to daily duties?

Had a blast in her today. Specially between Flemington and Altona in either direction. The bit that I found frustrating was the stop start through Flemington to Northcote. 

Found a beautiful 3.2 to buy, only need to get the seller across the line to sell it..... seems he was ready to go until a serious buyer came along. Understandable though given how much effort and not to mention $$ he's put into it....

Cheers Rob

Archived