I've joined the broken head studs club ...

Harvs11

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dropped the engine off the stand today. Hooked up the gearbox making sure not to do the newbie thing and forget the clutch yoke. Waiting to get new nuts/washers etc. before I fit the induction and tin.

Getting closer.

58FF3868-6F0E-4160-925E-DC1CC56EC55F.jpg

Today's job is to clean up and grease the drive shaft CV's before I get the engine back in.  It's easy to access them with engine out.   I think this is original Stuttgart grease.  It's all runny, black and nasty!

C98CA232-34E8-467A-A02C-A556289FB8B2.jpg

I got stuck into the CV's early today. Pics over here, bottom of page.

The family left me alone to go shopping, get haircuts etc. so I had time after lunch. My engine was just sitting there on the garage floor all homeless. Time to go back where it belongs. I recruited an inquisitive neighbour to hold things steady while I got under and did all the jack and spanner work. It all went back in without a hitch.

It feels good to get it back in the car.

Great stuff Harv. So how much more work before you can turn her over and take her around the block?

You're talking about the car, right? ;)

I need to hook up all the fuel, oil, exhausts, accelerator cable, clutch cable etc. then pour a truckload of oil in it. It will probably happen over the next few nights. The young kids next door sleep right next my garage so I will have to wait for neighbour friendly hours to kick her in the guts.

Took a deep breath and turned the key today. No big bangs or squirts. Phew!!

The oil pressure came up after about 15 seconds cranking and held steady at 2 1/2 on the gauge. I followed Wayne's start up procedure and it all worked fine. Once the fuel, plugs, and sparks were hooked up it came to life after a few more goes once the fuel started flowing. Oil pressure is back to normal once running.

Adjusted the timing and checked all the connections but It's still running a bit rough. May be a vacuum leak or the old CIS gremlins back. I'll get it to a mechanic to chase that. I don't really know where to look. Especially if it's the electronics again.

Took a deep breath and turned the key today. No big bangs or squirts. Phew!!

The oil pressure came up after about 15 seconds cranking and held steady at 2 1/2 on the gauge. I followed Wayne's start up procedure and it all worked fine. Once the fuel, plugs, and sparks were hooked up it came to life after a few more goes once the fuel started flowing. Oil pressure is back to normal once running.

Adjusted the timing and checked all the connections but It's still running a bit rough. May be a vacuum leak or the old CIS gremlins back. I'll get it to a mechanic to chase that. I don't really know where to look. Especially if it's the electronics again.

Congrats harvs, it's a bloody good feeling when it doesn't go bang and starts after being In a million bits

Cheers Steve. Sure did feel good.

Truth is I was terrified I'd f#%^*d up somewhere.

It starts first hit on the key and idles steady but feels like its not firing on all 6. On the road it doesn't want to pull which I think is to do with the vac advance. Topped up the oil once it was hot and shut the door. It's beer o'clock.

It starts first hit on the key and idles steady but feels like its not firing on all 6. On the road it doesn't want to pull 

I let my 11 yo reattach spark leads once , engine idled steady but wouldn't pull , turned out he mixed 2 of the leads up. It ran as well as a Beetle  :unsure:

I let my 11 yo reattach spark leads once , engine idled steady but wouldn't pull , turned out he mixed 2 of the leads up. It ran as well as a Beetle :unsure:

You know I did think it had a beetley sound.

I won't sleep until I've checked this. Of to the garage then. Thanks

Thanks T. I'll be with you guys in spirit. Well at least via my desktop with your hourly updates while T2 does unmentionable things to your car.

I fired my car up this morning with the leads in the right places thanks to our taswegian friend. Purrrrfect. No more leaks on the garage floor either. (Yes, Steve. I did put oil in it)

Washed it and rolled down to Dak-Dak. It's running nicely. I need to adjust a couple of tappy valves which I didn't get quite right, but otherwise the stupid grin is back. :D

Glad to hear it all came together. Congrats. Fantastic effort. Doing what you did seems pretty daunting.

It takes a leap of faith to get started but once in it becomes a matter of just being methodical. Use the right tools, if you don't have it, buy one. It's cheaper than ruining something on your car. If you are not sure, ask. And research as much as you can so you know what to expect.

The biggest realisation I had is that Porsches are designed to be worked on. Most things are easy to be got at with the right tools. Most tools were standard metric items which you can find in any good tool kit. I had to get a few special tools but these were well and truly worth the cost. All in all a very satisfying project. After all, being able to work on my own car was part of the decision to buy an SC. Apart from some black magic in the CIS, it's all simple mechanics. Now if ever there is any more work to be done, I know what's involved. I can make an informed decision to either do it myself or give it to someone more able.

Archived