I've joined the broken head studs club ...

Harvs11

A little while back I noticed a loud rapid fire noise when on the loud pedal, and not a good noise.  It didn't take long to work out that I was the newest victim of Porsche's experiment into exotic metallurgy.  

The Dilivar steel exhaust studs on 2 cylinders had snapped!   This is becoming an all too common thing on aluminium block 911's.  I decided to fix it now instead of waiting for more to let go and do further damage.  

After a lot of research and talking with people whom I trust on the subject, I decided that this is a job that I can do myself with a bit of help for some of the trickier stuff.  So begins the adventure.

First thing was to drop the engine. I took my time and managed this without any big c*(k-ups. 

10720451904_c809c5f38e.jpg

Next was removal of the CIS induction. I want to disturb as little as possible so after taking out the alternator I lifted (with a helping hand from Dave W) the fuel intake and cowl all as one leaving the bare engine and gearbox.

10755238204_34e9304465.jpg

It's been a few nights in the shed cleaning 33 years of crud from the engine while waiting for the pelican to drop a bundle my way with a bunch of new parts, seals etc.  It could have been worse. The "triangle of death" was not showing any leaks. Just built up dirt glued together by oil mist on the top.  The underside was a worse with 3 out of 4 oil return tubes leaking as well as seepage from the number 3 cylinder/head joint.

Engine is up on the stand now. 

11065168926_9b378ca3a5.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks mate.

The good people at Autohaus Hamiltons will be my ticket out of the club. I'm a little delirious with the "while we're in there" options/possibilities.

Now I wander what the market is for a nearing middle aged fat bloke who has very few talents? Anything for some lovely 964 cams.....

I'm with Wasser! Exciting!

Thanks again. I've only owned the car since Jan' this year. It's been a couple of times to Autohaus and the results each time have been exceptional. Only problem for me is it's a long cab ride home, to Canberra! Well worth it however.

Maybe we can car-pool! :P

I did my 964 motor for the same reasons. I  replaced 2 broken divilar head studs, had the engine 90% reassembled and had a 3rd stud snap when under no stress.

I pulled the whole top end down again and replaced all the divilar head stud with steel studs and have had no problems.

The dilivar studs were around $35 per stud and the steel studs were about $11 - it soon adds up when you have 24 studs to replace.

Thanks for the encouragement.   I started this thread as a bit of pay back for all the articles,posts, threads that I've poured over gleaning a bit of  knowledge on all things P.  I have the same sickness where I find this stuff fascinating to watch. 

twood,  I'm not going back to Dilivar studs, steel studs as used on the intake side will replace all the exhaust studs so I dont have to go back later.

RussR, once the intake runners are unbolted from the heads and the cooling shroud is unscrewed, its just a couple of hose clamps and clips to take off the whole CIS unit.

I'll try to do a weekly update. More time on the engine rather than posting every step.  

Aimr75, the engine stand is borrowed. It's a heavy duty unit previously used for a Chev big block. No prob's holding the 911. It's got the wide-set legs which makes it very stable when turning over the motor. T-bar style legs can be a bit tippy.

Aimr75, the engine stand is borrowed. It's a heavy duty unit previously used for a Chev big block. No prob's holding the 911. It's got the wide-set legs which makes it very stable when turning over the motor. T-bar style legs can be a bit tippy.

thanks.. yeah it looked pretty solid compared to some of the supercheap auto type stands ive seen. I have no need for one (Hopefully not for some time), but would like to tackle a job like this in future when i have to. 

Delivery arrived today. Ordered from Pelican just last Thursday, quickest yet.  Included a full gasket kit.  There's hours of fun sorting thru that lot identifying which seal/washer is what. It's bundled into 5-6 bags with each a mixture of various seals, no labels of the contents either :(

Archived