Top End Rebuild

ByronBayChris

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are these things cheaper than the 3.2 to rebuild!!! I've been told and read a top end for a 3.2 is around $15k. Makes $8k sound cheap.

I think if the pistons and cylinders can't be saved the expense for those is high to get new ones. Probably around 5k or so I think. Include the other possible wear components, while you're in there's and labour, I'd imagine the cost can be exponential.

Apparently the motor has been out previously buy an owner who "knew" what he was doing.

That is why it has a join in the timing chain where 993 cannot.

That is also why it has some 964 bits where 993 specific bits should go.

Jocaro said it looks as though the prior owner wanted it to go faster, but made it go slower.

Remember that it did come with wheels wider thanks the rear of the car.

No such thing as a cheap Porsche, huh ;)

Sorry to hear this Chris. Bummer indeed. On the bright side, once you do the rebuild.. it's done and there's nothing left to worry about if all else is strong.

No such a thing as a cheap Porsche - we've heard that a lot around here eh? : P

Chris, I was at Jocaro today getting Ann's Yaris serviced and yes it's been played with before by the sounds of it. 964 cams which aren't compatible with the hydraulic actuators so it's almost a wonder it went at all. Gosh you will notice a big difference when it's back together that's for sure....

Oh and mine is there on Tuesday for its annual check up so they can keep each other company for a few days...

C

Chris, I was at Jocaro today getting Ann's Yaris serviced and yes it's been played with before by the sounds of it. 964 cams which aren't compatible with the hydraulic actuators so it's almost a wonder it went at all. Gosh you will notice a big difference when it's back together that's for sure....

Oh and mine is there on Tuesday for its annual check up so they can keep each other company for a few days...

C

Did they actually say there were 964 cams in there???

I find that incredibly difficult to believe unless the rockers were changed also. I believe the earlier 993s had 964 sprockets, but there is NO way those cams will run suitably enough for the motor. You can run a hydraulic cam in a solid set up hut not the other way around.

C

Would a PPI have picked up this?   Obviously a compression test would show low compression.. but could the compression have been ok when Chris first got the car?

Sad news Chris, saw your car today sans engine and hope the costs of the rebuild don't turn it into a not so cheap car.

It was like family day at the mechanics today, Chris's, yours and my 993 all hanging around the workshop.

The guys at Jocaro certainly know their eggs but it's what's been done and not to your engine could be costly.

Have they given you an idea of costs yet?

Kev

I am happy so far, as I get a nice rebuilt engine as the end result. Cost......mid teens is best guess

Still has not broken the bank or banker, as it was a low cost starting point

Hope to get it back by Christmas, as we are leaving to Byron Bay.

Question. Should I undertake a 2,000km trip of mainly highway driving with this rebuilt engine or do I need to "run it in". after spending my hard earned, I don't want to stuff it up.

Open to suggestions as usual.

C

I'm wrestling with this too as I have to drive back to Canberra. Planning to go down the coast to get varying speeds.

Dempseys book talks about the engine builder initially running the engine at mid rpm for 20 min then dropping the oil. When you get it you're apparently supposed drive around 1000km at varying revs up to 5000rpm (but not baby it too much). This is mainly to seat the rings properly and get the rocker arms and cam set in.

Plus you'll probably have to drop the oil again after about 1000km. Dempsey even recommendeds redoing the valve clearances after the break in, but that's a nontrivial bit of work.

But I think most engine builders have different opinions on the break in process.

I am happy so far, as I get a nice rebuilt engine as the end result. Cost......mid teens is best guess

Question. Should I undertake a 2,000km trip of mainly highway driving with this rebuilt engine or do I need to "run it in". after spending my hard earned, I don't want to stuff it up.

C

C

no.find a route with moderate hills etc

don't redline it

no.find a route with moderate hills etc

don't redline it

+1 on that . Absolutely correct from my stance anyway but you blokes listen to jnr356. 

He's the guy with the knowledge and no vested interest.

Dave

Archived