My 964

Guest hepkat63

Guest hepkat63

Hi All,

thought it was about time to share my 'new' 964 with you all.  As you probably are aware, I am only new to Porsche - but been looking for quite some time.  

It took me a long while to decide what I finally was after - my head was turned too many times !

I guess my decision came down to a balance between originality, functionality and the ability to be able to drive the car regularly if I wanted too.

So, totally by chance I found my car.  I had actually been looking at another one - which to my disappointment had more wrong with it than I chose to accept (read $$ to fix).

As you can see from the photos, it is a April 1990 build 911 (964) C2 Tiptronic.   I had not even considered an automatic before, but once I drove it - i was hooked.  Just made total sense driving around the City (or anywhere else) and considering i live in a rural area - where 2km out of town your in top gear and doing 100km - it really did not make any difference in the long run.

Car is an original Australian Delivered Vehicle - and sold by Scuderia Veloce Mortors in Willoughby NSW in February 1992.  It then went to Balwyn Victoria in 1994, then Bendigo Victoria (not sure when), then to Melton Victoria up until 2011 when it went to Northcote Victoria.  Now it will reside back in NSW.

Service history shows it starting at Hamiltons in Richmond, Autoart and finally at Weissach Sport (Chris).

The car is as immaculate as i could hope (for my budget) and only had 115,000km on the clock which I believe to be correct.  

I drove it back from Melbourne on a 42 degree day - probably more like 50+ degrees coming off the road.   Six hours later I was home - the 964 didn't miss a beat.  

Next day it was booked in for a NSW Blue Slip so I could register the car in this state and whilst the car was up on the hoist, I had another good look around.  You could eat your lunch on the underneath of the car it is that clean.

Now that I have had the car for a week, I have had a chance to fully wash, wax and clean it all (i don't think you really 'know' a car till you wash it !) and I still have a big stupid smile on my face !

I think the only non-original items are the wheels (cups repros - but previous owner supplied the original wheels) and the steering wheel along with the clear indicator lenses.  I will be replacing the clear ones with the original orange ones and am still hunting for the correct steering wheel.

So, that's my story - look forward to being a productive member of this forum - :)

IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3762.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG

Guest hepkat63

Soviet Red, not sure this color. Ha I make funny.

actually, i saw from my research that it is Indian Red - however, when Porsche were looking to ship the car for the American market, that they had to rethink the name of the colour (as they thought it would offend the native americans) so it was changed to 'guard red' for the American market.

Guest hepkat63

I think I've seen the car advertised on car sales previously.

The duco looked mint.

Congrats.

yes, he had it on and off Car Sales for about six months.  He didn't really try too hard to sell it though as he was only selling to finance a 993.  He told me he had about half the $$ saved !

Wow that looks in great condition. Very similar to my car in appearance. Interested to see you returning to original wheels and maintaining ride height. Mine also came with Cup repros plus H&R lowering springs and I love the look and the stance. But I didn't get the original wheels with mine so it's lucky I like it as is!

I did the SMT down here yesterday - in normal day to day driving, the car feels good, reasonably quick but not amazing. But a "spirited" drive on a challenging road and it really gets into its stride in 2nd and 3rd gear, sounds fabulous, goes great and handling and traction out of corners is unparalleled. It reinforced that these really are wonderful cars. Enjoy!

PS what's the stalk on the steering column below the wiper stalk - is that cruise (which i don't have?)

Also note you have a rear wiper which i don't have - mine was delivered to Jo'burg South Africa so perhaps slightly different standard features.

You also have a little red LED on the centre console - is that for the alarm? Mine has a tacked on one just below the radio head unit.

Interesting to compare the detail. Was also interested to have a look over Kerry's black genuine 964RS on the SMT yesterday. Mine is pretty similar externally but remains C2 inside (other than the steering wheel).

Guest hepkat63

PS what's the stalk on the steering column below the wiper stalk - is that cruise (which i don't have?)

Also note you have a rear wiper which i don't have - mine was delivered to Jo'burg South Africa so perhaps slightly different standard features.

You also have a little red LED on the centre console - is that for the alarm? Mine has a tacked on one just below the radio head unit.

Interesting to compare the detail. Was also interested to have a look over Kerry's black genuine 964RS on the SMT yesterday. Mine is pretty similar externally but remains C2 inside (other than the steering wheel).

Yes, you are correct, it is cruise control - works very well too.  The rear wiper was a bonus for sure .  I checked it out and it was a factory optional extra which not too many people took up.  Yes, the red light is for the alarm.  It is interesting to see the differences in the same model I think.  

Guest hepkat63

Wow that looks in great condition. Very similar to my car in appearance. Interested to see you returning to original wheels and maintaining ride height. Mine also came with Cup repros plus H&R lowering springs and I love the look and the stance. But I didn't get the original wheels with mine so it's lucky I like it as is!

I did the SMT down here yesterday - in normal day to day driving, the car feels good, reasonably quick but not amazing. But a "spirited" drive on a challenging road and it really gets into its stride in 2nd and 3rd gear, sounds fabulous, goes great and handling and traction out of corners is unparalleled. It reinforced that these really are wonderful cars. Enjoy!

It was a stroke of luck getting the original wheels - as the previous owner had never sold them - he was going too - just never got around to it.  He did however, sell the original steering wheel and CR-1 radio !    As for the drive - i have only ever driven two other 911 and that was a while ago and they were both manual cars.  This (obviously) is auto.  I am one of those drivers that only drives cars sensibly.   I actually just enjoy driving that way.   Perhaps that goes against the 'porsche ethic' - perhaps not.   Call me stupid, but since i have waited so many years for this car (25 to be exact) - the last thing I want to do is rev the ring-hole out of it and drive it like a maniac :)

Archived