Michael Schumacher

Chris-p

The F1 legend's manager Sabine Kehm issued an official statement on Friday, warning that any unofficial information about Schumacher's condition is "not valid".

Makes sense.

If it wasn't for the celebrity and money backing  him any normal person would have had the machines turned off and given last rights and left in the hands of god. Shows you money buys the best health care - fingers crossed for Michael.

• 3 months later...

If it wasn't for the celebrity and money backing  him any normal person would have had the machines turned off and given last rights and left in the hands of god. Shows you money buys the best health care - fingers crossed for Michael.

Well it's good news that he has made progress , but I would surmise the long term progress is still poor given the severity of the injury and complications. But he will have the best of everything http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/16/michael-schumacher-out-of-coma-left-hospital-grenoble so who knows , and medicine is always progressing forward.

The seven-time Formula 1 champion has a home on the shores of Lake Geneva. It was reported in March that his wife Corinna had spent £10million on building a medical suite in the mansion there.

Everyone on my facebook has jumped up and down thinking because he's "awake" he's ready to walk home. Quite annoying actually because the state he's in, unfortunately F1 doctor reports that he'll never be the same again. I'm glad he's alive but so sad about possibly never making a full recovery.

Russ,

I've heard that also, he is still in a coma and has only been moved because his prognosis ongoing isn't great.

His family deserve the respect of privacy though it would be good to know for the people that genuinely care for his well being.

Sad indeed.

Guest Harold

I listened to Charlie Teo this morning and he said he could not imagine MS is better after 6 months in a Coma. Said he may have some basic communication skill but it would be very basic.

• 2 months later...

Schumacher out of hospital

FORMER Formula One champion Michael Schumacher has left a Swiss hospital and will continue his treatment at home after a devastating ski accident in December, his family said in a statement.

In a surprise announcement, a spokeswoman for the family of the retired German racing star said he was being moved from a top-notch hospital in the Swiss city of Lausanne to his home in nearby Gland.

“Henceforth Michael’s rehabilitation will take place at his home,” Sabine Kehm said, stressing that “considering the severe injuries he suffered, progress has been made in the past weeks and months”.

“There is still, however, a long and difficult road ahead,” she cautioned, providing no further details on Schumacher’s health status.

more http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/former-formula-one-champion-michael-schumacher-out-of-hospital-heading-home-for-rehabilitation/story-fnec578q-1227053241017

Whilst I wish some form of recovery is possible , the prognosis is not great for this and other incidences of severe head trauma resulting in coma.

The vast majority of people only have indirect experience (popular media) of its effects http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_brain_injury but once affected by direct experience , the attitude to risk taking behaviour by oneself and others is changed forever.

No-one is immortal , no matter how young or fit or brave. Impress that upon your youngsters at an early age and you will have achieved at least as much as any monetary donation to "brain research".

...that involves your GF/spouse/children & family!

Except when indulging in what in the past was considered "caddish" behaviour.

The guy was a professional racing car driver...................Raced really fast and dangerous things for a living and was very good at it. Bringing up risk assessments in this thread in relation to this particular individual is laughable. 

Thoughts to Michael and his family for what I hope is a positive transition.  

The guy was a professional racing car driver...................Raced really fast and dangerous things for a living and was very good at it. Bringing up risk assessments in this thread in relation to this particular individual is laughable.  

He was skiing , it was an accident. Sorry , am I being too clinical? 

Archived