Would this actually teach me about engines?

Part of my attraction to a classic air-cooled 911 pre 964 is learning more about cars and maybe tinkering with it a bit myself.. but it's a daunting task when you haven't a damned clue!

So I saw this and thought hmmmm would this be a fun, cheap way to play around with an engine and would I get any real life benefit from playing around with one of these?

So share your opinions guys and girls...

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Haynes-V8-Model-Engine.aspx?pid=345614#Cross

I have one here - it's pretty cool, and quite realistic (within the bounds of what it is). If you invest some time understanding what you're putting together instead of just following the instructions you would certainly enhance the educational value of it.

But if nothing else it's a good bit of fun!

Cheers,

Get yourself a cheap, real engine from pinch-a-part. Get out your tools and pull it apart then put it back together.  It doesn't have to run again, cool if you did get it going though.  That way you get to feel what its actually like to work on an engine.   No better way to learn than doing it on the real thing.

Suck, push, bang & blow.

That was the quote from my Father that was the foundation of many years of father to son garage education. If you get your head around especially visually that concept all the ancillary functions of a combustion engine including all modern technical advancements will be very easy to understand.

Do I get a first warning now? :-)

Suck, push, bang & blow.

That was the quote from my Father that was the foundation of many years of father to son garage education. If you get your head around especially visually that concept all the ancillary functions of a combustion engine including all modern technical advancements will be very easy to understand.

Do I get a first warning now? :-)

I remember learning this at high school and even the teacher had a tough time keeping a straight face...!

Do you have a motorcycle license Amanda? Even if you don't a good way to learn about engines is to start of small and maybe invest in an old motorcycle, all the same principles just smaller.

Could pick one up very cheap going or not.

I have no room at all for an engine :) the motorbike licence is something I've considered, for the experience if nothing else.

I'll also talk to my brother about it.

Without being condescending in any way Amanda, you will have an even deeper appreciation of your P car with a solid basic mechanical understanding. As far as a bike license goes I'm convinced that being a motorcyclist is the best foundation for driving a 911. Fourteen bikes later and a 911 stole my heart.

Michael

Do you have a motorcycle license Amanda? Even if you don't a good way to learn about engines is to start of small and maybe invest in an old motorcycle, all the same principles just smaller.

Could pick one up very cheap going or not.

After my little adventure into 911 engines recently, I recognised  that air cooled 911 engines are very similar to motorbike engines. Especially the older air cooled bikes with separate cylinders and heads.  An old bike would be a great first project.  Pick something common so parts and advice are easy to get.  If you don't already have a bike licence, get one now so you can enjoy the finished project.

I think I'll start with the model then. It looks fun. Something my brothers and nephews would also get a buzz out of.

I'll update this thread when I start - for giggles!

I'll think about the motorcycle thing. I'm a bit of a wuss in my old age now, I think I'd be concerned about coming off it.

A few months ago I was even thinking of getting an old Beetle but I just don't have the cash. I think selling the Boxster for something like the link below would be better long term. It's in the back of my mind for sure.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/alderley/cars-vans-utes/1975-porsche-911-coupe/1037120505

I think plastic model initially for the terminology and future reference, then invest in an engine stand,  an old VW engine, a workshop manual and a basic metric toolkit to start with, then play. Being on an engine stand, it can be wheeled aside when not playing.

I think thats probably the hardest part in some ways, the terminology and identifying what all the bits and bobs are.  I've been around cars my whole life, so I have been exposed to the terminology... but Porsches are a bit different to the XY Falcon for example!

Part of my attraction to a classic air-cooled 911 pre 964 is learning more about cars and maybe tinkering with it a bit myself.. but it's a daunting task when you haven't a damned clue!

So I saw this and thought hmmmm would this be a fun, cheap way to play around with an engine and would I get any real life benefit from playing around with one of these?

So share your opinions guys and girls...

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Haynes-V8-Model-Engine.aspx?pid=345614#Cross

My 8 year old daughter has a 4 cylinder model of the same type on her chest of draws in her bedroom. She makes me proud :) she helped put it together and was all interested on how the engine worked. She is just a sponge that loves knowledge and information about all sorts of weird and wonderful topics. She would make a great engineer but she is declared at 5 she wants to be a doctor..........

My 8 year old daughter has a 4 cylinder model of the same type on her chest of draws in her bedroom. She makes me proud :) she helped put it together and was all interested on how the engine worked. She is just a sponge that loves knowledge and information about all sorts of weird and wonderful topics. She would make a great engineer but she is declared at 5 she wants to be a doctor..........

Oh adorable!  And clearly a very smart cookie.. but if you've instilled the love for motors in her now, that engineer qualification might still become a reality I think!

Now how embarrassing if an 8 yr old can assemble this thing and I cannot :o

I've got one of their 4 cylinder working models and the firing order is totally out of sync, but the valve train operation is sorta correct.

maybe find a cheap old beetle engine to pull apart? you'll learn a lot from it

(like this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Beetle-Engine-/151214948052)

there's a few good books out there too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOW-TO-HOT-ROD-VW-ENGINES-Air-Cooled-BUS-BUG-GHIA-/171223611516

pretty similar to a 356 engine. 911 obviously has different heads, more pistons, cams and chains rather than pushrods and rockers

Suck, push, bang & blow.

I was taught "suck, squeeze, bang, blow", same really....and no, we're not being rude, it's shorthand for the four cycles in a four stroke engine. Intake, compression, power, exhaust.

Archived