A few questions for Porsche owners!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny reading this thread how many people come across as very sensible with their advice, except they all drive Porsches so at some point have managed to suspend their 'sensibleness' and just made it happen.

Being boring gets boring really quick... And denial of such things that the individual wants can leave them unsatisfied and can lead to other more dangerous or extreme behaviours, such as buying a sports car, like a Porsche... It's Freudian logic, lets forget logic and responsibility and give into the id(which we inevitably will do anyhow, there's enough proof above this post as you suggested) and go and buy Porsche's.

It's funny reading this thread how many people come across as very sensible with their advice, except they all drive Porsches so at some point have managed to suspend their 'sensibleness' and just made it happen.

it's not my one car i have to call on at all times though, i can leave it in the garage..

.. i managed to suspend my sensibleness many times :(

In life there are a few things you are passionate about.

The important thing is not to let the mundane things get in the way of the things you have passion about.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at the 987 Cayman Series 2 (2009 onwards). No IMS bearing issue with this model as motor was fully upgraded over Series 1. $80k may get you an S, while $60 to $70k will get you a very low kms base model (40-50kms). I have the PDK and this car is fantastic to drive, especially winding roads. On flat straight country roads it is very firm with tyre noise at normal speed as compared to Mercs, BM's etc.. Economy on this is unbelievable. I get 6/7 litres per 100kms at a steady 110km/hr. Obviously put your foot down and you are in the 10 to 12 litres per 100. I haven't driven the 997, but the Cayman is a great car and it really does put a smile on your face when you drive it how it was designed to be driven.  

apologies, I am new to Porsche.

What is 'IMS issues' several people here mentioned?

which model of 911, how much costs to fix, etc?

I am thinking of buying a 2003-2004-2005 Porsche 911 model '997' (non-turbo, coupe) sometime this year (2014) and looking for any 'traps" for new players such as me

thanks!

apologies, I am new to Porsche.

What is 'IMS issues' several people here mentioned?

See here:  http://theimsguardian.com/ims-failures-explained/

And here:  http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-forum/629870-ims-failure-for-your-997-car-y-or-n-tell-us-yr-997-1-2-m96-m97-failure-mode.html

If you have the problematic year then it's a 10% failure rate... which is horrific really, and it'll kill the whole engine if it breaks so we are talking lots of $.

See class action suit in the USA:  http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/

How much is an issue is it really? well the new 991's no longer have the IMS... so Porsche have designed the problem out.... draw your own conclusions from that!

See here:  http://theimsguardian.com/ims-failures-explained/

And here:  http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-forum/629870-ims-failure-for-your-997-car-y-or-n-tell-us-yr-997-1-2-m96-m97-failure-mode.html

If you have the problematic year then it's a 10% failure rate... which is horrific really, and it'll kill the whole engine if it breaks so we are talking lots of $.

See class action suit in the USA:  http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/

How much is an issue is it really? well the new 991's no longer have the IMS... so Porsche have designed the problem out.... draw your own conclusions from that!

thanks!

It sounds like I need to forget about buying a 996 and 997 Gen 1 Porsche 911.... So much for legendary reliability.

thanks!

It sounds like I need to forget about buying a 996 and 997 Gen 1 Porsche 911.... So much for legendary reliability.

why? it's one issue and there are a variety of fixes out there

buy a car, spend the money on an IMS fix, enjoy.

why? it's one issue and there are a variety of fixes out there

buy a car, spend the money on an IMS fix, enjoy.

what is the 'IMS fix'?

I could not find it, as replacing the IMS bearing ($3500 on early automatic 997.1 ??) simply deferred the problem by an unknown amount.

What have I missed?

yeah I rolled the dice and got a late 2005 997, she's beautiful.

late 2005 997 hardtop non-turbo rear-drive automatic seem to be $90K-$100K, drive-away?

If so, its out of my budget of $80K....

This is why I was looking at early 997.1, built 2004-2005 early.

Please correct me here if you think I can get a late 2005 997.1 for ~$80K.

We just got my wife one through our leasing agent.

A Dec 2005 build 2006 compliance plated 997 series 1 Carrera S, Atlas Grey, full service history, pre purchase inspection checked out nicely  for 82k .

I believe he sourced it through these guys

Let me know if you want Gary's contact details and I'll send them through, he may be able to help you find something if you're thinking of leasing it, he doesn't do sales though only has lease clients, I know him through my motorsport and he's a personal friend not just some random car leasing guy.

Cheers Al

Please correct me here if you think I can get a late 2005 997.1 for ~$80K.

My late 2005 997, 72K on the clock, manual was $86K after stamp duty and transfer from NSW to Vic.

And that's from a Porsche Dealer and with Porsche Warranty.

I reckon the autos go for less $ then the manuals, so $80-$90K is possible.

As for IMS fixes, so many of them out there. talk to Amanda

• 2 weeks later...

986, 987, 987.2, 997 experience here. 

I prefer the ride in the 997 to the 98x perhaps due to 98x all struts vs 997 multilink rear. The ride to me is more composed and progressive. 

Looks wise I find the shape of the 997 more appealing, complete and interesting. The 98x for me is slightly unfinished. The classic shape of the 911 is a nice sight whether the car is in your garage, walking back from the shops or in the driveway. 

Space wise I was able to fit a much too large piece of luggage across the back seats of a 997 using even the under rear window space for an airport trip, which I would not have been able to do with the 98x. Otherwise the rear seats arn't a factor for consideration for me. 

The 997 is overall quieter which is less tiring on extended trips.

Power wise the 997 has the torque push that the 98x does not have. This along with the handling characteristics of mid vs rear engined, makes the 997, for me, more interesting to drive on long and short roads. I found that the 98x became slightly boring after a while, whereas the 997 keeps me intrigued. The 98x did have the upper hand in easily entering a corner at speed, maintaining the speed and eventually adding throttle, although the 997 could power out earlier. 

I would sum up the 997 simultaneously a grand tourer and sports car, whereas the 98x is a sports car.

Archived