What makes a great sports car.

Guest Harold

It is written and said that Porsche make great sports cars. The question is then posed, what elements go into a car to make it a truly great sports car?

I guess performance, handling and perception should be evident. Anything else?

This.

Could be gutless like an MX-5 (which I think have soul), but a car that talks to the driver and isn't just a mode of transport.

Though some old four-door family cars and 4wd's can have soul and they aren't necessarily sports cars...

So I guess to refine the 'definition' to having a car that's focused on the driving experience, rather than just transport.  That definition would lend itself to breaking down into what you would call good characteristics of a car - ie. handling, braking, acceleration, weight, feedback etc...

One word....."SOUL"

Ok...i'll make a proper contribution.

1. Steering you can feel

2. Engine you can hear and sense

3. Handling that communicates positively

4. Preferably less weight

5. ......and brakes that STOP.

I completely agree with these five statements and I think they capture the empirical component of what goes to make a great sportscar.

I have owned three great sports cars an Integra Type R, an MX5 and a 911 and to be honest mechanically they don't have that much in common, FWD, convertible and rear engined are all different.  They all shared the five traits posted previously however I think there is a bit more to it.

I will add three more criteria which will be a more esoteric:

6) Embody the ethos of the company and the passion of its designers -

The Integra Type R is above all else incredibly well built, engineered and built for the single purpose of going around corners.  It reflects the original Honda ethos of using racing to build better engineered product it's a bit serious and you tend to love them or hate them.  

The Mazda MX5 was a car which compared to the Honda is less well engineered, however the spirit of the engineers come through of creating something that makes the the driver feel connected with the car and which to an extent sacrifices performance for style.  It reflects Mazda ethos.

The 911?  Well I don't need to explain that in this forum do I?

7) It makes you smile.

I hate to paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson but a great sportscar has got to make you smile, this is a visceral thing and is more than the sum of it's parts.

8) It looks good sitting in your garage

This is elusive and down to personal taste, but I reckon it should give you that quick intake of breath every time you see it and you have a momentary pause when you see it as you appreciate it sitting there.

I would argue that my 40 yo Land Rover embodies 1-7 above (maybe not 3 , but offroad you know when you hit a bump  <_< 4 - well it's made of Aluminium alloy)

But it's not a sports car , however I love it 10x more than the Landcruisers I drove for 20 years.

Back to sports cars , not sports utility vehicles  :) ...

I reckon its "Feel"

• The feel you have for the road
  • The feel you get back through the steering
  • The feel the brakes give you when they are right on or close to the edge
  • The feel for the acceleration from corners, finding / loosing grip
  • The feel of the seats and the layout of the interior
  • The feel when you open the garage door and see it sitting there

But the most important thing is the way the car makes YOU FEEL   B)

I Can't find the exact quote but Ferry PORSCHE once said (something like)

"Why do they compare the 911 with FERRARI and LAMBORGHINI, the 911 is a GT

not a sports car, our competitors are BMW and Mercedes Benz,

the fact we have won so many sports car races with it is just a bonus"

Pre production he also said (something like)

"The new car will be a genuine 2+2 GT, not a two seater sports car".

I know PORSCHE often refer to it as a sports car, but this is what Ferry thought.

Let's start withe the definition according to Wiki

sports car (sportscar) is a small, usually two seat, two door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling.[2] Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious but high maneuverability and minimum weight are requisite

Once you add the luxobarge treatment , the ethos is lost somewhat!

Now I would add , "great" means reliable and of high quality i.e. each component is engineered for performance under duress = strength & durability. The car will be around in 30-40 years as a result. Now one can easily argue modern sports cars are so complex that reliability will be an issue given the amount of circuitry in the components. It's unlikely the aftermarket will support complex componentry in 30-40 years , but who knows?

The styling will ensure some cars are kept and loved - and others discarded. There are some fugly motors around these days, as there have been in the past!

"Sports" refers to competition , and competition is generally about striving to win. So "great" sports cars should be tested against other sports cars to establish their claimed credentials.

Real sports cars only have two seats, no power assistance on anything, no air con, no radio and no roof. A bit like this. :P

I think this just shows how hard it is to lock down the specifics of a sports car, as I love my AC, stereo/GPS/BT, power steering/windows/door locks/hatch release etc and most of all my roof so what is a sports car is like trying to say what is the best pizza and there is no correct answer to that. For me it's simple, fast, handles great, stops on a dime oh and it has to be red lol :P

Archived