Importing from the Uk-Anyone done it?

I have been looking at importing a rolling body or better from the UK.

Has anyone done this recently & know of the costs & pitfalls?

Delivery would be to Port of Brisbane.

From what I can gather a 20K Aussie 911 would cost 30K Aussie landed. Then there is compliancing & what not on top.

Cheers, Will

Ive just finished importing my car from Singapore and have had a great experience using the services of Road and Track in Sydney (roadandtrack.com.au). Ask to speak to Ross who is the owner.

They source cars from Japan, Uk, Singapore, HK to all parts of Australia and NZ. They also have a very close working relationship with customs to ensure fair assessed value when it arrives.

Iron Chef Imports were a joke when I contacted them, they quoted an import value more than 4 times higher than what eventuated which would have added over $30K to my import!

PM me if you need more details about the process, its way easier than you may imagine.

give iron chef imports a call. they do UK stuff as well and can sort it all out.

don't end up like this guy,

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/798211-porsche-approved-rusty-carrera-3-2-a.html

Holy Sheeeeet, there is a LESSON in there, I really feel for this guy, however I'm not hopeful, there will be a get out of

jail card in the fine print somewhere.

Bad pelican , maybe motormeister has a mole...

Google Chrome has blocked access to forums.pelicanparts.com for now.

Even if you have visited this website safely in the past, visiting it now is very likely to infect your computer with malware.

Thread is still active, he got a reply from the dealer principle of the porsche dealership who has basically told him to refer all issues to the seller, washing their hands of it. He's now taking legal action.

That pelican thread... why does everyone sound so surprised?  After importing my own car from the UK when it was still relatively new, I can see the corrosion starting.  If they are winter driven, or even autumn driven, they will rust.

The guy doesn't have a leg to stand on and just has to get on with fixing it.  The original report noted 'corrosion issues'.  If they didn't  follow up with 'what corrosion issues?' then that is their look out.

A simple glance at impact bumpers bodywork threads will show page after page of horror stories.  The UK is always raining and damp.  Most people don't have a garage.  They salt the roads extensively, and have had bad winters for the past 4 or 5 years.  It all adds up.

Not all UK imported Porsches are dogs, but if you're buying one you're better off assuming it is and relying on evidence to prove yourself wrong.  This guy thought he could save a few bucks by importing one, and he will end up paying for it big time.

i would agree with Coaster the guy would most likely not have a leg to stand on and by even thinking that the porsche dealer would cough up 10 large (pounds) just to protect his name is obviously in la la land..the fact that "some corrosion" was reported on the PPI would be enough...plus i wouldnt think that any PPI is legally binding...if you were sold a car with a fresh RWC and the vehicle clearly wasnt up to scratch them that would be a different story.. obviously the most important step is finding a reputable and trustworthy shop to do the PPI.

Whilst i wouldn't discount a UK car completely. i probably wouldn't risk buying one unless it was in the country and a reputable shop like a Autohaus, Cairns, Buik ect could do the PPI..

Thread is still active, he got a reply from the dealer principle of the porsche dealership who has basically told him to refer all issues to the seller, washing their hands of it. He's now taking legal action.

Can you forward the thread as my saved search browser  seems to have lost it.

• 2 months later...

Yes imported a 1984 3.2 Carrera in absolute original condition. Had a recent engine and gearbox rebuild by highly reputable UK independents. Plenty of work completed and receipts, all matching numbers. Tried for two years to purchase an original Australian delivered car but most had been backdated or significantly modified or just looked down for the price. All up the additional cost to purchase was about $ 9000 including container,transportation port charges customs quarantine inspection and engineers report. Had to get door side entry intrusion bars fitted , as 84 models didn't have. RWC was easy in Victoria. Had negotiated on a few cars prior to purchase but due to complexities of dealing overseas lost the purchase. I had a PPI completed by RPM and transferred the funds to a relatives account to organise transaction and delivery. Don't believe all the nonsense regarding rust, all cars in the UK must be MOT each year so there are very good accountability measures, also many older cars are kept as weekenders, summer cars and are not daily drivers during winter,snow periods, but are garaged. I am not concerned re the concept in Australia re lessor prices of "imported cars" , when I sell it will be on the world market, as prices for excellent original 3.2 s will soar as they become more difficult to acquire. Davida

I think you are right clutch monkey, but the interesting aspect is when you look carefully at the original sale photos of this car , I think bubbling can be seen on the panels , and as such should have been indicative of more deep seated concerns. However , it remains even after first look of the photos , how on earth could the car have satisfied a PPI. Davida

I think you are right clutch monkey, but the interesting aspect is when you look carefully at the original sale photos of this car , I think bubbling can be seen on the panels , and as such should have been indicative of more deep seated concerns. However , it remains even after first look of the photos , how on earth could the car have satisfied a PPI. Davida

absolutely, would have been worth seeing the car in person even.

every older car shipped from the UK that i had to work on has had rust in it- not always apparent, but the instant you start digging into the seams with a screwdriver it shows up. especially where the front guards merge with the body.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived