engine rebuild

JR80911

Hi guys - hoping to take advantage of the experience of everyone.  I've had my sc for a year or so now and I've had no issues.  But it has done 260k and I'm not sure whether the engine has every been apart.

How much do you think I should budget for a rebuild?  thoughts would be appreciated. I'm thinking 10k to 15k?

does it need to come apart? keep oil changes up and general maintenance and I think you'll be fine for quite a while

as everyone has said depends how much you can do yourself. Might be worth getting "how to rebuild and modify Porsche 911 engines"

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Porsche-Engines-1965-1989/dp/0760310874

with 10-15k you could wake it up a bit. But it all depends on how much you do it yourself. 

If the bores are good, you probably could do it all your self. You might need to get someone to check roundness of your bores and the wear on your crank though. 

Other then that, everything is pretty much tightening up bolts so to say.

Good opportunity to get some light weight forged piston and rods. custom grind camshaft and a bit of head work. 

I like to bag small items with their nuts/bolts ect and lable them.

For example i had bags with:

injectors+fuel rail parts

head studs and nuts

pulleys and nuts

rod nuts

griddle nuts

oil pan bolts

You get the picture :)

Took a lot of photos too!

Hi JR,

Have you had a compression test and leak-down test carried out on your car?

I was in you position up until last week. My car is pushing 267k and I had been told by Zag Automotive, who resprayed my car back in 2000, they recalled she had a full engine rebuild at the same time but I have no documentation to prove. Anywho, last week I dropped her off at Auto Werks for a major service and thorough going over. Having had the same thoughts as you, before they did anything I got a compression test and leak-down test done. The results were pleasing and didn't indicate the need for any major work at this stage. Great news, and gives me a nice bench mark to keep an eye on my cars engine health each service.

Simon also found she has a 3.2 oil pump which tells him she has had a full rebuild some time in the past, now I have some form of proof of what Zag remembered. :D

HTH

Cheers

Well to be honest id love to do all of it but I'm an absolute amateur so not really that confident. Most I've done is change the oil! But it sounds like 15 k will at least do the top end. I might do a compression test and leak down as suggested at next service. I bought it from Weltmeister and they did show me results but that was a year ago. What is a "good" result when doing the tests?

Any recommendations on service? I used to take it to Pacecars (don roe) but have moved to ormond. Are there any options others would recommend?

We all start with an oil change. I'm pretty sure that's how it is. You think well that was easy. Then you replace a sparkplug. hey that was easy too!. You need to remove your intake manifold and realise that was quite easy also. And that's where it starts. 

My leak down results when I bought my car were less than 2% on all cylinders which is supposed to be good. I spoke to a couple workshops about rebuild costs in the future and both said up to $15k for a top end rebuild. I use Motion Automotive and a couple other guys here also use him. Factory trained back in the 70s so he has plenty of experience with the old models. He's in South Melbourne and was thinking about moving to Moorabbin.

I'm trying to understand what has prompted the question. 

Is the motor burning oil, and if so how much?

Does the car feel down on power?

Is it blowing smoke?

Quote from a Rennlist thread on leak down numbers from what many consider to be a leader in his field.

2%-5% is very good
6%-10% is OK
10%-15% requires some further investigation for the source of the leaks
15% or over requires close attention to find the source of the leaks and fix them.

You could try one of these, not sure how you would go for warranty, I would guess freight would be around a $1000 (I really have no idea)

but for $10500USD (plus freight) your getting a rebuilt engine.

OK link not working google-:

vertexauto.com engines

they also rebuild gearboxes

@ t-man: nothing particular. Engine is goog great. Probably needs a service soon but no leaks no smoke. Just making sure I have an idea if cost if it goes.

@ 9 fan. Yes true. Might give that a crack.

@ Carrerag50. Yes. Things seem to be much cheaper. Always an option. Handy info though. Thank you.

• 3 months later...

I Purchased Wayne Dempsey's book (which I highly recommend) "How to modify & rebuild Porsche 911 engines." Then whipped the engine out & dismantled until I was left with 2 case halves. I had a machine shop fit new valves & check all measurement were within tolerance. Then re-assembled it. The most money was spent on shipping parts!! I think I spend around $5000 in total. BUT If I were to do it again I would take it somewhere, I may have saved a bit of $$$ but I'm sure the whole ordeal of the rebuild took years off my life & left me with significant hair loss!!!

You could try one of these, not sure how you would go for warranty, I would guess freight would be around a $1000 (I really have no idea)

but for $10500USD (plus freight) your getting a rebuilt engine.

OK link not working google-:

vertexauto.com engines

they also rebuild gearboxes

is that you send your motor over and they rebuild it and send it back?

at $14k for a full rebuild here there's some savings there if you're able to get good shipping rates, may be close though.

similar to slappy's post the last refresh (top and bottom) i had a hand in was about 8k in parts and labour, maybe a smidge more. pistons were still good etc, nothing had lunched itself, or it would have been a different story..

is that you send your motor over and they rebuild it and send it back?

at $14k for a full rebuild here there's some savings there if you're able to get good shipping rates, may be close though.

similar to slappy's post the last refresh (top and bottom) i had a hand in was about 8k in parts and labour, maybe a smidge more. pistons were still good etc, nothing had lunched itself, or it would have been a different story..

No thats for a complete rebuilt motor, if you send an exchange "core" its $8500 for the rebuilt motor, not worth it, just buy the motor for 10.5.

No thats for a complete rebuilt motor, if you send an exchange "core" its $8500 for the rebuilt motor, not worth it, just buy the motor for 10.5.

Is the savings you get from buying a complete rebuild engine going to bite you in the ass when it comes time to sell and your car is no longer matching numbers?

I don't know if it's been established if the engine even needs a rebuild

there's kits online for seals/bearings which is an 'engine refresh' kit for $979USD. Pistons are about $2500 and then whatever head work you need. Then if you need barrels and other misc stuff that'll be broken/worn out/improved I'd probably budget another $2000 for that

I think I could do a rebuild myself for $5000-$7000, but i'd be attracted by a drive in/drive out option with warranty on my existing engine

Archived