is this rust?

ByronBayChris

This car is advertised as original factory paint. I can see a tonne of overspray so would this be a repaint? Would be odd for the factory.

Also, is that rust in this pic?

Screenshot_2014-04-07-11-46-07_201404071

It says "no rust anywhere",....... But I am learning quick never to trust that one

Cosmoline

Get closer and sniff. Rust has it's own special smell!

Yep. that stuff gets in everywhere and will outlive the rest of the car.

Cosmoline is your friend!!!

Cosmoline is sprayed on to allow the cars to be transported by sea and not end up rusty on the showroom floor.

It's the bane of concours types but really , should be left on to preserve originality  :D along with German air in the tyres.

If you dab the brown with rust converter, rust will go black. Cosmolene should survive this type of attack unscathed.

Another clue , it's a bit rubbery and translucent.

As you know , rust is neither.

Macro lens photos can always be demanded of a keen vendor if there is any doubt.

What car are we looking at?

Body Galvanizing in Porsche 911

Thyssen steel = steel with Zinc layers on both sides; thickness of the Zinc layers varied from 10 um to 20 um, depending on exposure conditions (Frere, p. 201)

1970 – Galvanized steel (not Thyssen type) used in floor pan and wheel arches (Bob White in Pano V: 142); the “entire platform, including the floor, the longitudinal members, the wheel arches and the seat pans were galvanized.” (Boschen & Barth, p. 124)
1971 models – had galvanized steel in areas particularly exposed to rust (Frere, p. 201)
1972-1973 – Thyssen steel use began (Bob White in Pano V: 142)
1973 – Thyssen steel: rocker panels, inner rocker panels, floor pans, & some other parts (Chuck Stoddard in Pano V: 142)
1975 – Thyssen steel: entire body treated (Bob White & Chuck Stoddard {began in Feb. ’75 production for US cars; earlier for Euro cars – had trouble with paint} in Pano V: 142, 192)
1976 models – had Thyssen steel in entire body except roof (Frere, p. 201)
1977 models – on – had Thyssen steel in entire body (Frere, p. 201); an “important step forward was the use of zinc-coated sheet steel for the manufacture of the entire body structure (except for the coupe’s roof on early production cars). Coated on both sides, this made the structure virtually immune against the formation of rust….” (Boschen & Barth, p. 143)

The Zinc steel added 22 lbs. to the weight of the body structure (Frere, p. 202)

Pano = Panorama volume: page number
Frere = Frere, Paul. 1997. PORSCHE 911 STORY. 6th ed., Patrick Stephens Ltd. Newbury Park, CA.
Boschen & Barth = Boschen, Lothar and Jurgen Barth. 1978. THE PORSCHE BOOK: A DEFINITIVE ILLUSTRATED HISTORY. Argo Books. 

for some reason when I read this thread title it turned into a version of Whitesnake's 'is this love' (is this rust, that i'm seeing, is the rust, that I've been searching for) I think I have a problem

btw good to see that no one has left big marks in that floor from using incorrect jacking points

Archived