So i bent my valves...

Pauly

Some may know I through out a little joke that i'll do a DIY how to fix bent intake valves. I know that fixing bent valves in any car isn't the easiest task, and isn't a common problem to face. 

First off, the story goes like this:

For a while i noticed a vibration under load and myself, my dad and my dads mate couldn't work it out. We had repacked the CV joints, changed the gearbox oil. fixed the loose radiator fans & replaced the PS pump belt. Also replaced a dead oil pressure sensor.

I went out for a drive that night and it had gone away. I went to a friends house and when i was coming home early in the morning i gave my car a good drive back. it saw some boost, it was loving it. couldnt keep traction!! All was well until i pull up into my driveway.. That's when all the problems accrued. First the oil pressure dropped, I thought okay the cable must have came loose. Then i heard the lifters making noise (typical of having no oil pressure) so okay the gauge works! and i shut the engine off. Turned it back on to hear it again. same problem. Okay shut it off. It was 7 am, i needed sleep so all i did was check for oil leaks (none) and made sure i didn't damage the sump some how (all good!)

Jumped on rennlist and posted "lost oil pressure" i woke up and had 3 things to check

1) crank pulley

2) OPRV (oil pressure release valve)

3) oil pick up 

1 was easy, 2 required taking the oil cooler housing off and 3 requires dropping the sump. 

First i check 1, yep the pulley was loose. I tighten it, start her up. Boom i have oil pressure. Turn it off and realise it's loose again. Hmmm it's not aligned properly. loosen all the belts. put it on, tighten all the belts again. start her up, You rippa.. it works. 

Shut it off *tick tick*

WTF was that noise?

start her up *tick tick*

um?

keep cranking.. uhh no compression. oh shit.

Check the cam belt auto tensioner. it wasn't tensioning. oh great. 

I re align the crank and noticed it had spun 90 degree out of alignment. 

Pulled the intake. turned it by hand (well ratchet) and noticed the intake valves had little movement. 

Left it at that.

Today:

pulled the cam tower off to have a look at the valve retainers and springs.

Springs look good.

Retainers are intact (thankfully they're titanium!!)

Don't mind the coolant, that happened while bleeding 

Here you can see the springs, retainers ect (i didn't realise the photo was blurry!)

60F74AC2-1864-40CD-B752-C1C78C55B8C8.jpg

Here you can see that the intake valves are stuck in (probably hitting against the head)

29EB1697-A422-46E2-9E39-28DB3AE69587.jpg

And here you can see the intake valves are not closed

BBC087FD-63E4-4D14-BA41-E3CF658E310A.jpg

For those who aren't sure and don't know my car.

The head is a one off custom built by CEP with a Custom spec JME cam. good for making power upto 7500 rpm. (but my limiter is only 6500rpm) head has some decent porting and larger valves. 

So no need to say "should get some head work done" Way ahead of you ;)

Here's a video to help you understand how much work has been put into the head and cam 

She'll live :)

Don't worry trev ;) she'll be burning fuel in no time. 

Got it!! 

4 bent valves. 4 slightly marked cylinders. 

Slightly marked, i'm just going to smooth them out with the dremel and be done with it. replace 4 valves. make sure they're seating. done.

Going to replace the heater valve while i'm there. Noticed some leaking around the join. a couple of hoses will get replaced while i'm there. 

Gasket kit (i think it's cheaper getting a new kit then a few bits. & nothing wrong with spares!!)

You'll notice the carbon flaking off. Thats what e85 does!!

399D6D01-6C49-482C-99A1-F27C0CB6884E.jpg

F8D3806B-9E1C-4A1A-8BEE-343B5DB403F7.jpg

1697E6E1-D420-4BFB-A889-C1D0FD9A14EA.jpg

I'm ordering of dave @ CEP. he knows about it already. I just want to take them out from the head before i order. May need new guides. not 100% sure. 

I'm not worried how long it's off the road for. It's winter.. haha.

If you saw the way it was driving before i bent the valves. it was a hand full in the dry. 

I accidentally over boosted once to 21psi (logged) and it indicated the MAF voltage of around 400 rwhp at 5k rpm. the wheels pretty much let loose.

It always gets me thinking. what if i could push my car to 7500 rpm & boost to 25 psi. only thing holding me back is the bottom end. Not going that route yet.

Wish I had some of your skills Pauly (and workshop space), see you next Summer.

968 Turbo engine has landed in OZ - 726 HP will be used at around 600.

Wish I had some of your skills Pauly (and workshop space), see you next Summer.

968 Turbo engine has landed in OZ - 726 HP will be used at around 600.

This summer, or even spring ;) unless i don't see you. 

:mellow:  :mellow:

Who build it? Chris white? CEP? 

• 2 weeks later...
Took the valves out

4 bent intake valves

C7A53CF5-B63D-43E1-BDC9-E18D7F2E2F61.jpg

Stock valve(right) next to custom valve (left)

B50BFC2C-6697-4F14-BA0D-8D26146DEB75.jpg

factory valve size

BD8248F3-6832-430E-85EB-224529277BB5.jpg

My valve size:

D61CE63D-CF78-4A00-980B-6D6730588245.jpg

The retaining clips are different than the stock ones too. and the stems are slightly thinner. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yesterday i received my valves and guides. Sent it to my head shop to get the guides fitted and valves seated. 

I didn't get photos as soon as i got them i took them in to get fitted. 

Today received a headgasket kit from pelican and a few other thing like new hatch pins, heater control valve, rubber for the boot key hole, water reservoir lid and a coolant hose that was leaking.

So today i'll get the heater control valve fitted, hatch pins fitted, water reservoir lid fitted and do some more cleaning,

BD49BB4C-BADF-4ABB-93FA-8D2B6210BCC8.jpg

It's always nice to get those little things sorted hey Pauly. I got to sort hatch pin/seats out too. I got the kit off only944.com ages ago but only have had a squeak from hatch since I fitted new struts. Luckily the stez drowns it out if it gets too annoying ;)

Bruce, the hatch pins are so good! Will need to full hatch reseal. i think the glass has moved to much. 

All night lastnight i was working on it until 1 am. This after noon another few hours in and it was ready to start. 

Crank it a few times to get oil pressure. hmm no start. after sratching my head for an hour, i realise the i had forgotten to connect the coil to the dizzy. crank and success, it fired!! 

Took it for a spin, boy did i miss the boost. I was scared of getting it into boost for the first time. 

will upload photos later

Archived