997s

Merv

I am looking around to buy a decent 997, probably a base Carrera, coupe/manual.

I am interested in any particular perspectives that you may have on these cars? I know the IMS/RMS issues but really interested in driving experiences, Tip vs PDk vs manual, options really necessary.

Many thanks,

Merv

PDK will be the 997.2 models and thus are much more expensive.

I have a standard 997C2 myself, late 05 model.

They are... very nice

The Engine just goes and goes and produces more and more power.

The suspension is very well sorted, it's not the tail happy 911 of olden day reputation.

Traction control and ABS kick in to keep it all happy too.

my only complaint is it's very refined sounding... sometimes I want more exhaust growl, but hey that might annoy the kids so I'm leaving that alone for now.

Merv

Ive done a couple of Porsche drive days in 997's, and the consensus among the punters at days end was that a plain jane manual Carrera was the way to go. Might seem illogical in the face of the fancier S models, and the other more expensive variants, but there is something sweet about the base model, so without hesitation that would be my recommendation for a first timer.

Mind you, in the end, it will fall down to your preference for the one that hits your sweet spot. They are all terrific in their own way, each variant.

Hope this helps you, have fun finding out.

Rgds

Simon

This may be it. 2008 Cab, with 3.6 and 6 speed manual. One owner, 34K kms, PC with a Porsche warranty

Very impressed with how well the 3.6 manual goes.  Love the revs.

post-1078-0-69396700-1402739350_thumb.jp

post-1078-0-19746100-1402739361_thumb.jp

My SWB 911 was Guards Red, but now it is in its original Burgundy Red.  Much nicer.  However, there is something about Guards Red that is strangely attractive (or not, to some).  I must admit that I do not mind the colour, but would like the Midnight Blue or black more.

post-1078-0-65715000-1402988672_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.  It goes great.  I didn't realise how sharp the steering would be.  2008, C2 one owner, 30K and OPC warranty.  Manual with 19" wheels. 

The two red cars side by side in the garage might start breeding however ...

I agree.  I tend to judge rims by how simple and easy to clean they are these days ....  the AMG ones I had on my Merc were complex and a PITA to keep clean.  Loved brake dust.  Then I changed for $20 extra per pair to ceramic pads and no more dust!  Will be interested to see if the 997 brakes throw much dust.  Mercedes tend to use really soft pads.

Will be interested to see if the 997 brakes throw much dust.  Mercedes tend to use really soft pads.

Depends how heavy you are on the brakes :D

You'll find a fair bit of dust but those rims are easier to clean than most.

The brakes throw a lot of sludge immediately after a wash so find I need to take a short drive and wipe off the excess on the inside of the rim with a cloth.  Also the pads tend to stick to the rotor when dry but if you leave the car level with handbrake off this minimises the stick.

I spray the rims with a citronella based Armour All wheel protectant which appears to repel dust build up.

Not a 100% on this but i believe the dust generating pads are kinder to the rotors and have a good feel to them.

The harder pad type (sintered i think) less feel to them but don't fade so easily with heavy use and not so dusty, but harder on the rotors.

Thanks guys. I noticed bit of dust on the rims this morning.  They are easy to clean however.  The ceramic pads can be used on the 997's according to the service manager, but do feel a little harder of course.  Not sure about their impact on the rotor life.  Its always a balance between the two I guess.

Archived