Air pumps...

SteamWolf

I'm watching you FlatSix.....

I'm here, there and everywhere..... <_<

By the way, how's YOUR smog pump treating you??

I don't think he has one which is why his goes a bit faster than yours  :ph34r: (that and the turbo!)

The air pump they are referring to is the smog pump on the older 911's that were installed to bring down the emissions for the strict USA market. 

It pumps extra air directly into the exhaust to thin out the exhaust gases so they complied. 

They aren't required here in Oz and I've been copping a bit of flack from some of the members because I don't want to remove mine. 

Why? they ask....

Because it came from the factory like that and I'm happy to leave it original, I say....

But it will increase the HP of your engine, they say.....

It already goes fast enough and I don't need to go 10 klms faster as I am already going to lose my licence, I say.....

Smog pump lover, they say.....

I wish it was just as easy as removing the belt (which I have already done but put back on..)

It seems to affect the idle when the belt is off..

I believe that when you remove the pump the air hoses also have to be removed and a hole plugged up that goes to the exhaust.....

Thanks everyone for the concern about my smog pump, but I've got it all under control..... ^_^

I wish it was just as easy as removing the belt (which I have already done but put back on..)

It seems to affect the idle when the belt is off..

I believe that when you remove the pump the air hoses also have to be removed and a hole plugged up that goes to the exhaust.....

Thanks everyone for the concern about my smog pump, but I've got it all under control..... ^_^

The doctor is IN

My view - it's an ugly piece of kit , please remove it and all the other bits of plumbing (electric blower , "air con")

It's like clearing an attic of junk.

Sometimes people need help in making these decisions and implementing them.

You can save the bits and pieces for the next owner or make $ selling them to concours guys.

When all is removed you will find it easier (and cheaper if you are not DIY) to adjust valves. And not feel embarrassed showing off your clean engine bay  :)

enginelefrog-1.jpg

I've just cleaned up my 928 too. Car is lighter thus more economical and zippier  ;)

If you're concerned about emissions , do what the concours guys do. Don't drive it!

PS As for the idle changing , what is the matter? Rough or fast/slow?

If your 964 came with a smog pump then you may have been duped... :P

Mine is a 964 with a modified 930 motor though. It has an air pump, I know this because my mechanic fixed it and told me the car would run better with it working. It would run better with it removed! I had no idea an "air pump" was another name for smog pump at the time.

Good Morning Dr,

When I remove the belt the symptoms are as follows.....

Sometime it idles high, sometimes it idles low, and sometimes it fluctuates...

Is it serious doc?

Do I need a new motor, or can we re-engineer this one...

Please help me doc... it's the smog pumps fault....

(How on earth did this thread become about me and my smog pump???) Seems everyone one else is more concerned about it than me...

I must agree with you though, I REALLY like the clean look of your engine bay.... I just wish I wasn't such a hoarder

i guess you're taking some load off the engine, so if anything you'd assume it'd idle higher

from what i recall there's an injector port into the exhaust and that's it, i'm not sure how it'd affect the running though! unless it makes a huge change to back pressure, but even then it shouldn't change the intake side of things

maybe see on a exhaust gas analyser what your mixtures etc are like once the belt and unit is removed?

good to see this thread went somewhere lol

oh, and you can always keep the bits to reverse it later

Remove the belt, pump , pipes and plug the exhaust ports (very easy). It will run fine and if not your CIS needs some TLC.

Hoarding is OK. I hoard.  Just don't put everything on display at once  :)

Thanks for the info and concern guys.....

I think that it will take me some time (if ever) to decide to remove anything....

I get the theory and practicality of it but still........

Archived