Car colour and resale value

I think Harold , some colours just do not work on certain models/shapes. Like bright red on a big limo. IMO any small car looks OK in just about any colour. Some Porsches (to illustrate your exotic example) are rare . Rare but not necessarily desirable if you have to live with it in public.

For example , whilst I (& a large proportion of the ladies :) ) love the rare Fern Green on my 911 - I even embrace the Kermit jibes from their partners and husbands - I could not live with this FG928. The ribbing...ribbeting would be unbearable. 

27392878-1.jpg

Around 1 in 12 males on this forum are statistically colour blind. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness and you can understand how some buyers/restorers make "interesting" choices, both interior and exterior.

I didn't want a red 911, it just happened to be the right car at the time and I was happy to live with it. I have now grown to like it but I have always preferred cars that look more 'understated' than 'screaming'- this has been a consideration whilst modifying the car, trying to keep it looking subtle dispute being a bold colour. I have always wanted a white one though, especially in the g series with the black Fuchs I think they look the biz.

It definitely depends on the type of car for me, some colours can make even the most expensive car look 'cheap'. It all comes down to what you do with it, ie the colour/type wheels and small details can really set off a car even if it's not a typically likeable colour - refer to singer Porsches for a good example, I'd say later model ford 'limited' models for a not so good example.

I was never looking for a white 993. just happened to be the right car at the right time. However, if by some obscure chance I had happened across a Mex-blue, Viper Green, Tangerine or a plethora of other obscure colours, I would have payed a premium without thinking twice.

All colours look great, some look better on different cars. You don't see too many exotic cars and think "yuk". Surely the appeal is in the eyes of the beholder.

You say that, and yet...

GoodChoice_zps7d0d86fa.jpg

Taken at "Cars and Coffee" yesterday. I had decided against putting the pic up because hey, it's somebody's pride and joy...even if Stevie Wonder would recoil in horror.

I think the solution is to have a car in every colour.

Weve got red, blue,yellow, black, white, and brown at the moment but its a moving feast.

Fair to say we dont buy on colour. If my wife bought our cars they would all be red. I only look at condition, but i must say that the one that has always stood out to me is the red 993 Turbo. That car stops people in the street for some reason. They probably think its a Ferrari!

The Sand Yellow Cayenne is also a knockout yet no-one in their right mind would have ordered a Cayenne that colour, which is why Porsche dropped it. That 964 Turbo in yellow that is for sale is also fantastic in reality. Crikey Im developing a yellow fetish.

Archived