Regrets!

LeeM

Plenty of cheap ones around; mind you the ones I've seen are shockers for rust. And the 450? Sluggish as , but a cool middle aged car. Have thought about a saloon to put aside for a son's wedding car down the track.

My old man bought a mint silver 78 280SE with black leather and barely drove it.  Then my sister got married, they used that as the car, and he sold it soon afterwards and bought a Mazda 929 'hardtop' which developed a tickety-tappety lifter racket but had lots of gizmos in it.

I asked him if the car was so important why not just rent one for the day but he never answered that.  

I was in high school at the time and a girl I knew asked me to take her to the formal.  She later told me that she wanted that because she wanted my dad to drop us off out the front in the benz which he occasionally dropped me at school in.   I didn't end up going with her and I don't remember if it was because of something else or because the car got sold.  Memory is too fuzzy and details lost forever.  Perhaps that was a crucial moment in adolescent development that linked nice cars with girls and set me on a course for financial pain, even though the hypothesis is totally incorrect in my experience.  It might explain why my garage has a large German sedan sitting in it though?

No regrets about any of that. Maybe the old man has.

Kill yourself now

LOL, Nah its all good, glad to have the 3.2 coupe, still have freinds with "muscle" cars. glad i moved on.

(however know where there is an SL/R 5000 going cheap that is tempting, if only I had the room)

my 450 wasn't sluggish at all, it got up and went. but there's lots of tired ones out there

They're OK (if a little thirsty) until you bring a similar German sports/GT/luxury coupe into the comparison  :)

Built from 1971 to 1980, the Mercedes Benz 450SL was a super sleek roadster that came stock with an impressive amount of power output especially for its time. The ability for the manual version of this vehicle to get from 0-60 mph in just over 8 seconds was incredible. The automatic, a mere 9 seconds.

Unfortunately they rust and as you say , lots of tired ones. Not worth restoring.3-4 years ago I put a fist through the floors of two brought to Hobart from Hong Kong via dodgy used car dealers. The owners certainly had regrets, what a pity no RWC/MOTs in Tas.

I sold a ducati 996 SPS foggy replica. one of only 150 built.

now im pissed with myself for doing that. at least i made 5 k on the deal.

I also sold a Honda trike. one of the same ones used in the james bond movie Goldfinger. It was the ballon tyres one, super rare.  and it was in great original condition. sold it for 1500 bucks

then, looking on ebay about a month later, I seen one sell for 11k!!

I sold a ducati 996 SPS foggy replica. one of only 150 built.

now im pissed with myself for doing that. at least i made 5 k on the deal.

I also sold a Honda trike. one of the same ones used in the james bond movie Goldfinger. It was the ballon tyres one, super rare.  and it was in great original condition. sold it for 1500 bucks

then, looking on ebay about a month later, I seen one sell for 11k!!

OUCH 

Having said that they were bloody lethal.

Left much DNA around the Adelaide hills falling off those things.

Great fun but

Several Porsche memories that might be called regrets, not that they weigh too heavily as Im hardly suffering on my 911 journey.

First 911 I bought was a black 964RS, now In the hands of a certain PFA luminary. Should have kept that one, its now worth at least two and a half times what I sold it for, not that thats the issue. The issue is that it was a really good example of an RS, and I didn't understand just how special it was at the time I was convinced to sell it. It was special because it was my first 911, and because I collected it in Melbourne and did the GOR to Adelaide via the Grampians and the Barossa before shipping it home to Perth. The worst bit was I didn't need the money at the time, but got seduced into a Carrera 2S. Bad decision.

Second niggle was selling the red 993RS that I later owned, again because of the memories. The Porsche Australia GOR Escape in 2007 was a terrific event in good company. Big effort to get the car and us there for the event, as any eastern states event costs a fortune from WA. Made a tidy profit on that car that felt nice at the time, as I needed to get on with some business matters. There might be more to write on matters 993RS but thats for another day.

Third was selling my beloved red 993 Turbo, when I needed to raise the funds for a business I was involved in. It took me eight years, but I managed to buy it back late last year and couldn't be happier. Its our "special event" car, and if I sell it, it had better only be to my wife who loves it too or life wont be worth living.

Fourth was asking an employee to move my 996 GT2 to my storage unit one afternoon. It only took 40 minutes for him to write it off, courtesy of a barrel roll in second gear. A painful experience for all involved, but fortunately no damage to the pilot other than pride. Scratch yet another 996 GT2. The irony being that it was the only time anyone other than my mechanic has driven any of my 911's. Only takes one goat, as they say.......

The rest of the 911's have all been very good, but no regrets. Its just been part of the journey and great fun, even the bad times in hindsight.

All my pictures of our previous cars are on my old PC in my lockup, so sorry, no pics..

1st was my 70 VG Valiant Pacer 4 door.

2nd was a 79 Chevy Monza Spider.  Red, with a 3.2 V6 & TH350.  All factory original apart fom RHD conversion.  I should have done more with that.  Was just asking for a smallblock & a powerglide.

3rd is hard.  I almost said my Hillman Imp GT, but I went for the 1981 BMW 318is.  Diamondschwarz paint, Msport body kit & 17" factory Hockenheims.  That was a nice car.  Had a few performance mods by the previous owner.  

Still, you can't have everything.  Mini Clubman GT, EJ Holden Special - all original & immaculate, but with a 138 red motor (paid $200 for this one), Dodge Kingsway, & so on.  Can't keep them all.

No regrets!

Except spending money on cars that perhaps could have been better spent elsewhere. :P

But that's a prominent symptom of the petrol-head disease, I suppose!

Archived