Futuristic

When I was a boy , sci fi predicted all sorts of advances and modes of transport. Some have eventuated , others fallen by the wayside. There are some incredible prototypes from the past , and to my misty eyes my old 928 still looks a bit futuristic - it was designed to be relevant for 10-20 years.

Perhaps you can post your favourites here?

Here's mine - with a grain of salt - but the shape is from the 50s, long before The Jetsons!

DSspaceship.jpg

Agree on the 928 looking futuristic.. Although i think that the 944 turbo/s2 look younger than they really are. as they look like the rx7 and 180sx. IMO the 944 looks better, more stylish with cleaner lines and you'd think it's newer, even though it's older.

Thought you might chime in :) , now this is a "Not Porsche" subforum so let's get cracking!

Earlier 911s looked froggy , but never looked futuristic and they are aerodynamically not great. The early 356s were probably better and they looked a bit spacey. But I digress. How about the Lambo Marzal? Complete with fembot.

1967_Bertone_Lamborghini_Marzal_27.jpg

2807-2.jpg

Lancia Stratos Zero

Futura_01_1500.jpg

Lincoln Futura - I still think they ruined the Futura by making it into the batmobile

Ferrari_Modulo_front-right_Museo_Ferrari

Ferrari Modulo!

and then there's always the T7 - which I would've driven even if it's what the 911 ended up looking like

1959_porsche_911_concept_754_t7_695.jpeg

Amazing - all these futuristic cars from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Now the future is here , where is the wow! innovation factor?

All cars tend towards the same denominator now , albeit within their classes. Nothing looks like an alien or terminator might pop out the top. Of course there will always be concept drawings, but some of the above cars sold in their thousands. Because they looked futuristic , and stood out from their peers with mechanical innovations.

The globalisation of design and engineering, not to mention safety mandates has probably killed innovative style. Old Skool style at least.

The desirable cars of the future are probably the cars of the past.

PS Coastr I've still got the C111 I bought in 1973   :)

It is safety and emissions that have killed the fun for series production cars.  It forces them into a specific shape/class and dictates things like front fascia height and engine clearance.   Buliding to specifications means huge production runs are required to recoup the costs, which ensures that the most efficient packaging wins - hence FWD everywhere except premium or sports.

Innovation is still around though - the biggest set of innovators are the english sports/track car industry, which has a loophole in the regulations to get a foothold in.  You can't say the Ariel Atom isn't innovative.

I would agree that the desirable cars of the future will be largely the cars of the past, or at least those constructed around those narratives - where people will put up with inconvenience in the name of character.  For example, from a pure driving point of view, a new camaro is a terrible car with zero boot space, a claustrophobic interior and non-existent vision.  But it evokes the look of the old one and thus is forgiven for its sins.  Same goes for many modern cars.

But it's much the same with houses and artwork - the old ones are the ones you really want because supply is fixed.  Don't see why that can't extend to cars and motorbikes.

A lot of love for the DS in this futuristic thread, well ahead of their time. 

And with perfectly good reason Hugh, these things were the every day futuristic cars along with the Light 15 and the 2cv before them.

Citroen actually made them and millions bought them for their own little piece of the future.

e6dfb290aa37193aa59e65ec6f6b484d.jpg

You got a thing for frogs Russ?

Time to break out this now

wow, they've combined 2 of my favourite cars, but it's horrid

but this thread is really making me consider a DS :| (I know it's a shocking admission)

Archived