Futuristic

but this thread is really making me consider a DS :| (I know it's a shocking admission)

I too have the lust. You can never get the "will I die wondering?" thing out of your thoughts. I have to drive past a parked one every single day! It's a rather boring pale pus coloured thing. 12k seemed a bit much.

there's a cream coloured one that drives past me on the way to work

there was a really early "project" I nearly bought last year too (before the directional headlights)

time to go watch that wheeler dealers episode again me thinks

time to go watch that wheeler dealers episode again me thinks

Those weird green spheres! I swear it's the froggy thing! lol I just recalled what Bear Grylls said when ripping into raw frog "It tastes cold, froggy and full of bones"

I think the DS is best loved at a distance.  Futuristic but ahead of it's time.  Kind of like how Mercedes used to run everything with engine vacuum before electrics became the way to do everything.

I love the look of the Maserati Citroen hybrid (I'm drawing a blank on the name right now) but I have never, ever read anything about them that suggests they are anything but a bucket full of heartache that would break even Jay Leno.

I'd be happy to do a european tour in a rented DS, National Lampoons European Vacation style - obviously without getting stuck under a bridge with a angry German mob after me, of course.

I think the DS is best loved at a distance.  Futuristic but ahead of it's time.  Kind of like how Mercedes used to run everything with engine vacuum before electrics became the way to do everything.

I love the look of the Maserati Citroen hybrid (I'm drawing a blank on the name right now) but I have never, ever read anything about them that suggests they are anything but a bucket full of heartache that would break even Jay Leno.

I'd be happy to do a european tour in a rented DS, National Lampoons European Vacation style - obviously without getting stuck under a bridge with a angry German mob after me, of course.

you don't know anyone with one then? they can be quite reliable, there's a reason they were so popular

Citroen SM?

The Citroen SM would be a wonderful car to own. But it's like a 928 ; get a bad one and there's a litany of expensive problems..and the spectre of rust. Engine rebuild on Maserati engine  :wub: The entry cost is high (scarcity)  , unlike the bargain that is the 928. Still , if lotto was won...

The standard DS would be a dog with the early engine. Would  Not Want (unless confined to big city suburban streets and beachside).

SM - that's the one.  But has to have the Euro all-light front panel not the American version.

I've only heard horror stories.  Probably people faced with a Maserati engine rebuild.

Citroen+SM+side.jpg

Citroen_SM_Mulhouse_FRA_001.JPG

I've always loved how stationary citroens slam themselves.  All those 'hella lo' boys are decades behind some stylish Frenchies.

One of the cars that I think is/was terrific was the suped up, chopped and slammed FJ Holden that came out a few years ago. That was futuristic. EFIJY. Back to the future for sure.

Sorry but I can't work it how to put a picture of the thing here. It is at

http://www.holden.com.au/concept-cars/efijy

And it sounds even better than it looks. I totally agree that is one mean looking/sounding piece of engineering.

• 4 weeks later...

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/top-10-movie-cars-of-all-time.html?page=2

1981 DeLorean DMC-12, Back to the Future

Visually, John DeLorean's DMC-12 was a stainless steel stunner designed by the legendary Giorgetto Giugiaro. Under the hood, though the DeLorean wasn't quite the supercar that flashy bodywork promised, carrying a pokey 130-hp 2.9-liter V6. No matter. Its futuristic looks combined with a bit of movie magic gave the DeLorean legendary status, and because it was a time machine in the film, the real-life specs didn't really matter, with one exception: Reportedly, the prop staff replaced that sluggish V6 with a V8 from the Porsche 928, which went a long way toward helping Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) hit 88 mph, fire up the Flux Capacitor and shoot back to 1955. 

Archived