Weight Loss & Diet For Early Impact Bumper 3.2

Steve88

After lurking around a few different forums and topics I've found that weight loss seems to be a common project by some owners to increase response whilst adding to the whole 911 rear engine experience.

The most common weight loss ideas that I have come across are as follows. These are in relation to impact bumper early 3.2 Carreras.

Please chime in and let me know if you guys have done any of these yourself , would strongly recommend not to do or think its pointless. Apparently all these things decrease the cars curb weight by up to 200kg

1. Replace door inserts with Rs Style door cars and pull handles

2. Replace the heavy or electric original front row seats with lightweight race style.

3. Remove rear seat fit outs and excess carpets

4. Remove Air - Con box and associated electrics

5. Replace Battery with " Lightweight " battery ( do these things really exist )

6. Replace Whale tail with Ducktail or original deck lid ( how much would a Kevlar / carbon deck lid cost ?)

7. Remove fog lights and associated electrics

8. Remove rear wiper and associated electrics

9. Replace wheels with racing style rims

10. Replace electric mirrors with fixed mirrors

11. Replace exhaust with a light weight exhaust , this must mean SS

12. Remove some of the sound deadening parts

13. Remove original speaker system and associated electrics

Seems like all these things are simple"ish" things to do and are reversible. I wouldn't really consider doing major body work stuff but these things if true seems to be a great way to take off Kgs.

All ideas and opinions welcomed as always

Along with any other weight loss ideas

Steve

replacing the front and rear bumper blades with fibreglass items also helps, and lets you keep the bumper shocks if you're worried about nudging someone in traffic. the standard items are thick metal items. it's a good trade off imo, they aren't as protective as the oem items but weigh far less and keeping the bumper shocks still gives some protection.

these sections are what i am talking about:

9nOPTXn.jpg

6kdnjeB.jpg

you can source them local from performance9 in ormeau.

1. Replace door inserts with Rs Style door cars and pull handles good option
2. Replace the heavy or electric original front row seats with lightweight race style. carbon fibre fixed back buckets best option. (non fixed back if you want to recline it)
3. Remove rear seat fit outs and excess carpets will be slightly noisier but sounds good!
4. Remove Air - Con box and associated electrics huge weight loss. i drove with out aircon for a while. didn't bother me.
5. Replace Battery with " Lightweight " battery ( do these things really exist ) yes they do. Lithium Ion batteries. 
6. Replace Whale tail with Ducktail or original deck lid ( how much would a Kevlar / carbon deck lid cost ?) depends who makes them. sometimes fitment gaps ect aren't as great. 
7. Remove fog lights and associated electrics I'd leave them on IMO. They become very useful. (depends on where you drive)
8. Remove rear wiper and associated electrics can't comment, but every bit counts!
9. Replace wheels with racing style rims Enkei is a good brand, cheap and light weight. You might need spacers though.
10. Replace electric mirrors with fixed mirrors 
11. Replace exhaust with a light weight exhaust , this must mean SS This usually means remove factory system and replace with direct exhaust with a muffler and a cat (if you want a cat that is) Titanium is the best option. $$$$ but if you've got deep pockets id go titanium. 
12. Remove some of the sound deadening parts as much as you can. you usually freeze them off and they fall apart. 
13. Remove original speaker system and associated electrics fair bit of weight there

14. spare wheel if you're game

Steve

Pull out the carpet underlay throughout the car. It weighs a ton. Ditto the engine bay mat.

Re point 7. Suggest going to HID, and deleting the fogs and associated parts.

Re exhausts. I had a lightweight full system Fabspeed on an 84 Carrera. Very light. Very noisy. Sounded great though.

Overall, any weight you can pull out of the engine end of the car you will notice more than weight taken out anywhere else, so it might be worth starting at the back and working forward.

Good luck. Have you seen the Pelican Parts thread with all the weights listed, so you can plan ahead?

Steve

Pull out the carpet underlay throughout the car. It weighs a ton. Ditto the engine bay mat.

Re exhausts. I had a lightweight full system Fabspeed on an 84 Carrera. Very light. Very noisy. Sounded great though.

Overall, any weight you can pull out of the engine end of the car you will notice more than weight taken out anywhere else, so it might be worth starting at the back and working forward.

Good luck. Have you seen the Pelican Parts thread with all the weights listed, so you can plan ahead?

We do that in the 944s, Anything you don't need in the engine bay goes. Not sure what you can do in his. 

I.e cruise control & Aircon are the first things. Then we go smaller alternators. some remove the fuel vapour purge system. Smaller window washer bottle. Power steering if equipped 

replacing the front and rear bumper blades with fibreglass items also helps, and lets you keep the bumper shocks if you're worried about nudging someone in traffic. the standard items are thick metal items. it's a good trade off imo, they aren't as protective as the oem items but weigh far less and keeping the bumper shocks still gives some protection.

these sections are what i am talking about:

9nOPTXn.jpg

6kdnjeB.jpg

you can source them local from performance9 in ormeau.

Love these will look into these too. Thank mate

I am guilty of doing all the 13 items you mention above but in doing so have also added a full roll cage so my car is only slightly lighter (not overly noticeable) but much stiffer (very noticeable!).

+1 on the engine mods and removing any excess weight from the rear end!

Steve

Didn't see that thread will get on it now. Thanks man

I am guilty of doing all the 13 items you mention above but in doing so have also added a full roll cage so my car is only slightly lighter (not overly noticeable) but much stiffer (very noticeable!).

+1 on the engine mods and removing any excess weight from the rear end!

Wow. Is it comfy to drive. That's the thing. I don't want to take so much out that's its shitty to drive. Would thing to put in a torsion bar or strut braces. ( don't know much about reducing body movement but its something I want to start looking into )

Thanks Steve

Wow. Is it comfy to drive. That's the thing. I don't want to take so much out that's its shitty to drive. Would thing to put in a torsion bar or strut braces. ( don't know much about reducing body movement but its something I want to start looking into )

Thanks Steve

Currently the ride is very stiff, great on a nice road or track but not so good on poor surfaces. This I would say is mostly due to changing to a set of 15' wheels and subsequently lowering the car (further) as it was already lower than standard. However on the 16's running 55 profile tyres I found it completely fine, it's just finding a balance that suits you.

On that, some people also find the fixed back racing seats uncomfortable and too hard. Again I don't mind them, I actually like the firm fit and find them generally pretty comfortable/more supportive. Long trips are the real test though!

Steve

Hey mate would love a link to that thread or the url , can't find it , not very familiar with PP

5. Replace Battery with " Lightweight " battery ( do these things really exist ) yes they do. Lithium Ion batteries. 

Not cheap though!

Hey mate would love a link to that thread or the url , can't find it , not very familiar with PP

+1

So guys this is what I have found out so far regarding weight loss and cost

1.       Lithium Ion Battery. Weights next to nothing. Possible loss of 10kg. Cost $900-$1500

2.       Carbon Backed Recaros. Weight 3.5 each .Original seats weight 12+kg each. Cost $2000 set

3.       Exhaust system. WOW. No change from $3500. Weight loss speculation around $5kg

4.       Wheels. It’s possible to save about 1.5 kg per wheel. New race wheels $1000each plus rubber (Enkei , OZ racing ect..)

5.       Ac Box weight reduction will remove 35kg

6.       Side Mirror replace with fixed  ½ kg not even worth the hassle

7.       Front chip spoiler / bumper will save approx. 6kg. Cost $750 Plus Paint

8.       Rear bumper saves about the same. Cost $750

9.       Replace Tea Tray with carbon Duck Tail. Tea Tray delete minus 20kg + duck tail. Total saving 10kg approx. $ducktail and deck lid runs at around $800. Plus paint and have to reuse the current grill

10.   Door cards / interior reduction in weight ei. Carpets underlay and all that jazz. Uncharted territory but the idea may be to recover everything that has been removed with Alcantara. I have no clue on how much weight this will save but I would use RS door cars with pull tabs so hopefully there will be a bit there too.

So far including the prices that I looked up for a lightweight free wheel, chip / tune and Wevo set up it seems that I will have no change from $25,000.

Total weight loss 100kg without touching anything from the engine internals.

I saw on PP that every 8 kgs of weight loss translate into 1kw.

Overall I stand to gain 25kw

Plus the gains from the exhaust, tune and shift set up it works out to be about $1000 per 1 KW.

This got me thinking.

Well the shoe in facts of the matter is that I really want the exhaust, the chip / tune, shift kit and fly wheel. These four items will cost me around $7k. (Chip $500+ $200 tune. Exhaust $3500, Shift kit $1500 and fly wheel $1500)

Maybe I will just do these four mods and upgrade the suspension and just drive te hell out of it. I think dropping $25,000 into doing these mods won’t really be a great investment compared to a full engine and trans rebuild .

Thoughts ??

2.       Carbon Backed Recaros. Weight 3.5 each .Original seats weight 12+kg each. Cost $2000 set

3.       Exhaust system. WOW. No change from $3500. Weight loss speculation around $5kg

4.       Wheels. It’s possible to save about 1.5 kg per wheel. New race wheels $1000each plus rubber (Enkei , OZ racing ect..)

9.       Replace Tea Tray with carbon Duck Tail. 

2. Aren't the standard seats more like 22kg each?

2a. Carbon recaros for $2k???

3. Improved sound and performance benefits :D

4. Looks and weight benefits 

5. Depends where you live

9. Looks great. Good carbon ones i.e. Getty are $750US plus postage and factor in hinges and grille (the latter definately not compatible) and paint. Closer to $1500 all told.

If it was me I'd do the following:

- fibreglass recaro or similar seats - $2k incl rails/brackets

- rear seat delete $0

- rs carpet $2k

- rs door trims 

- chip - $?

- exhaust (even if it is just a fabspeed cat bypass and monty 1-2) - $1200

- flywheel $1k

- 993 brakes $3k

- suspension - $3k

- drive the crumpet out of it - $ priceless

Everything there is reasonably priced and reversible. Unlike the Pelican approach of just tearing everything out, which I don't condone.

So guys this is what I have found out so far regarding weight loss and cost

1.       Lithium Ion Battery. Weights next to nothing. Possible loss of 10kg. Cost $900-$1500

6.       Side Mirror replace with fixed  ½ kg not even worth the hassle

7.       Front chip spoiler / bumper will save approx. 6kg. Cost $750 Plus Paint

8.       Rear bumper saves about the same. Cost $750

9.       Replace Tea Tray with carbon Duck Tail. Tea Tray delete minus 20kg + duck tail. Total saving 10kg approx. $ducktail and deck lid runs at around $800. Plus paint and have to reuse the current grill

10.   Door cards / interior reduction in weight ei. Carpets underlay and all that jazz. Uncharted territory but the idea may be to recover everything that has been removed with Alcantara. I have no clue on how much weight this will save but I would use RS door cars with pull tabs so hopefully there will be a bit there too.

So far including the prices that I looked up for a lightweight free wheel, chip / tune and Wevo set up it seems that I will have no change from $25,000.

Total weight loss 100kg without touching anything from the engine internals.

I saw on PP that every 8 kgs of weight loss translate into 1kw.

Overall I stand to gain 25kw

Plus the gains from the exhaust, tune and shift set up it works out to be about $1000 per 1 KW.

This got me thinking.

Well the shoe in facts of the matter is that I really want the exhaust, the chip / tune, shift kit and fly wheel. These four items will cost me around $7k. (Chip $500+ $200 tune. Exhaust $3500, Shift kit $1500 and fly wheel $1500)

Maybe I will just do these four mods and upgrade the suspension and just drive te hell out of it. I think dropping $25,000 into doing these mods won’t really be a great investment compared to a full engine and trans rebuild .

Thoughts ??

don't forget it's all cumulative- a few kilo's here and there, it all adds up and is worth it imo.

the prices seem steep- bumpers should only be $200-300 for the blades and can get a decent front valence for $400 or so second hand. is your $750 price for full IROC bumpers front and rear?

seats can be had for much cheaper unless you're dead set on recaros.

SW chip is $150 or something similar and effective, it's that or go piggyback ECU tune for $1800 imo.

much much cheaper way to do the exhaust! get a set of headers yes, but the muffler side of things can halve the cost. i..e simple magnaflows and any exhaust place will connect it up

exhaust1318209077.jpg

RJAAB.jpg?1

Wow Clutch Monkey. That is great news ill look into the cost of rear and front bumpers and what exactly that price was for.

I think I need some advice on wha can taken out of the rear end. Ill replace the rear bumper , wiper delete , carbon deck lid. But I have no idea on what real weight can be saved from the bay.

Not stuck on recaros. I wanted to get something that was adjustable and I was going to recover them to match the guys of the car. S I don't mind what brand as you won't see it. Any advice ill take mate on bands. I'm not that tall and don't weight more then 70kg

That price I saw for the exhaust was a complete system I think it was a fab speed. I think the weight saving may be still a goer. I just need t take a better look around for prices.

Thanks heaps I really Apprecoye the input.

$25k is fairly crazy. Perhaps approach it incrementally?

Weight loss can be achieved for free in many cases. Carpets, AC, stereo, rear wipers, tools, spare wheels, rear seats etc...

Also consider that removing weight improves braking and handling as well.

Power only improves one aspect of the car...

Archived