Hi,

I'm potentially looking at purchasing a 964 and I'm looking for the following:

— White or Black

— Manual

— Coupe

— 2 or 4

— Australian delivered

I've only started looking, but seems it appears I could find something in the 50—60k range.

My questions are, for those who have been watching the market for longer... Are they still depreciating / holding their value, or even appreciating?

The Carrera 2 seems to be rarer (and more desirable), like for like, what kind of premium do they tend to command? I ask as there isn't really a wide enough range available to determine.

Cheers!

Hi Thomas.

Patience and decisive-ness are they keys.

Flexibility helps. For example, there are a few south African cars getting around that would be fine examples. Same with colour. That criteria might narrow your options too much.

Talk to a few Porsche mechanics and tell them you are looking. They might know of cars that aren't on the open market.

Good luck with the search. C2 964's are definitely appreciating right now and finding them can be tricky, actually C4's are heading north too. For an Aust delivered in good condition expect to pay more than 60k. 

Hit the market about 10 mins ago.....

He who hesitates...... loses..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1991-Porsche-964-C2-Manual-/321486838244?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item4ada1bd9e4&_uhb=1

Being the Carrera 2...... as KGB said..... it's a unicorn...

This however is pushing the limits for price, considering its unregistered.

The engine bay shot shows what appears to be a visible weld at the bottom of the QTR panel where it meets the lock panel, there is also a lack of visible spot welds on the same QTR compared to the left. This does not necessarily mean anything bad but would indicate possibly some sort of repairs in that area.

Personally, I like the exterior colour but not a fan of the tan though. 

Hi Thomas.

Patience and decisive-ness are they keys.

Flexibility helps. For example, there are a few south African cars getting around that would be fine examples. Same with colour. That criteria might narrow your options too much.

Talk to a few Porsche mechanics and tell them you are looking. They might know of cars that aren't on the open market.

Seems to me that you also need to have all your financing in place.

Would the people that bought this 964 C2's in record time, have had a PPI done?

Or bought on gut feel?

I'd imagine that with the market on fire, plenty of buyers would buy without the ppi...

Kinda like when the housing market was so crazy, they were being sold with no building inspections or pest inspections... 

Mike I don't see any issue with making an offer "subject to PPI".

If it is an honest car what would be the problem?

Early last year, before I bought the Cayman, I went through this with a 911 996... we struck an agreement subject to a PPI... 

The PPI was booked on a thursday and he sold the car to someone else on the weds who didn't request a PPI...

Which possibly means, it was not an "honest car"... 

The price on the eBay car is silly.

Don't want to be argumentative, but every one of us here (Including me) said the same thing about the 3.2 Carrera from Hamiltons @ $79,990

BTW....... I agree with you...

The car looks to my eye as having an aluminium  intake manifold-my understanding is it makes it an earlier model than 1991.

The later models had a black plastic intake manifold. On closer inspection the build date is July '90 making it a 1990 model.

Then that's one hell of a premium (as we all know)....

Theirs must have been a record by a mile and a half for an impact bumper... (run of the mill models)

Don't the 964 Carrera 2's sell in the low to mid $60's anyway.....?

I still agree with you that it's a silly price..... but the whole market seems to have gone silly lately...

I sold mine earlier in the year for low 60s (was a South African import, clean but not perfect, 130kms).

Around the same time, Autohaus sold a white Oz delivered one in low 70s and then apparently resold it a few months later in the 80s within hours of listing.  Cleaner than mine, less kms and Oz delivered commanding a higher price.

Hugh bought a white one ex WA recently which was very sharply priced relatively speaking.  I understand seller had a drop dead date he had to sell by and priced accordingly.  He had a queue of buyers as soon as it listed, Hugh was the lucky one.

Like it or not, the market seems to dictate mid 60s to mid 70s at the moment.  The ebay one at 80k appears a bit high by comparison but there are lots of examples recently of PFA'ers saying prices are crazy and the cars still selling.  Sometimes hard to know what the actual sale price is though....

To grab a good 'un, you definitely need to have your funds ready and avoid procrastinating otherwise you might miss out.

Hi Thomas,

In short, C2 coupe in man expect to pay 60-80k. You will struggle to find a good one under 60k. Even at the top end they are not lasting long with the one pictured above selling within hours of being listed. So as mentioned above you need to be ready and expect to pay listed price - if you don't someone else will.  ;)

C4, couple man you may pick up for 50-60k - there was a HK del car sold last week for mid-high 50's within a few days of being listed so market seems to be pretty quick on those too. 

I have been watching them for the past 12-18 months and very few have hit the market in that time with only a few of those being honest 'good cars'. DJM's was one of them and aside from another one on the market prior to his, the one I landed was really a rarity. The Hamilton's one came up within a week or so of me buying mine so that would make 3-4 cars in the last year or so that have been note worthy. That said it seems any C2 man, coupe is hot property and hence the sudden rise in sale prices.

Best of luck on the search, I am very much enjoying mine.  :)

Early last year, before I bought the Cayman, I went through this with a 911 996... we struck an agreement subject to a PPI... 

The PPI was booked on a thursday and he sold the car to someone else on the weds who didn't request a PPI...

Which possibly means, it was not an "honest car"... 

Not necessarily.............

If you were selling your car and someone offered you sale price no PPI you would be mad not to take it? Even if the car is spot on a PPI will always find something (especially on a 964 being 20+ year old car) and that just opens the door for the potential buyer to haggle over what is most likely typical things that you should expect anyway when buying an old car. 

I dont see it as a case of the seller being sinister or hiding anything - its just a decision between a easy deal and a potentially drawn out deal. I know what I'd prefer.

I bought my 964 sight unseen without a PPI. I did my homework on the car (and seller) and knew what I was looking for. Unless the PPI revealed its several cars glued together and full of shredded newspaper I still would have bought it regardless. I knew what I was buying and happy to pay what the seller was asking.  

Agree with Hugh, seller will always accept the easy sale. Buyer needs to make it easy for seller to accept.

I just experienced this when I bought the GT2 recently. I made it easy for the seller to accept my (below asking price) offer - offer was not subject to finance or sale of another car or PPI or wife's approval or test drive or whatever. Genuine offer, deposit ready, do you want it or not. Homework confirmed car was a cracker. Still had a PPI done so I knew what I had bought but I already knew 90%.

Having been in the sellers shoes plenty of times, I would happily accept an offer "subject to" but I would let the buyer know it would remain on market until the offer is unconditional, if someone else comes along with an unconditional offer, first guy gets first right of refusal to commit otherwise he misses out.

Same in real estate - an unconditional offer (even at a lower price) always trumps a conditional sale. Otherwise you risk losing both buyers.

The car looks to my eye as having an aluminium  intake manifold-my understanding is it makes it an earlier model than 1991.

The later models had a black plastic intake manifold. On closer inspection the build date is July '90 making it a 1990 model.

The year code is an "M" in the VIN, so an MY91 car - although the new model year usually began in August, so a little strange to have a July-build as the new model year.

My recollection is that, at least for the Oz deliveries, the plastic intake was introduced first for the MY92 cars, and then the airbag wheel for the MY93.

The engine bay shot shows what appears to be a visible weld at the bottom of the QTR panel where it meets the lock panel, there is also a lack of visible spot welds on the same QTR compared to the left. This does not necessarily mean anything bad but would indicate possibly some sort of repairs in that area.

The welds in my car in these spots are also a little asymmetrical - I suspect it's more a feature of these 'hand assembled' cars than an indicator of prior damage, although worth a closer look for any prospective buyer.

Archived