Not necessarily.............

If you were selling your car and someone offered you sale price no PPI you would be mad not to take it? Even if the car is spot on a PPI will always find something (especially on a 964 being 20+ year old car) and that just opens the door for the potential buyer to haggle over what is most likely typical things that you should expect anyway when buying an old car. 

I dont see it as a case of the seller being sinister or hiding anything - its just a decision between a easy deal and a potentially drawn out deal. I know what I'd prefer.

I bought my 964 sight unseen without a PPI. I did my homework on the car (and seller) and knew what I was looking for. Unless the PPI revealed its several cars glued together and full of shredded newspaper I still would have bought it regardless. I knew what I was buying and happy to pay what the seller was asking.

Agree with Hugh, seller will always accept the easy sale. Buyer needs to make it easy for seller to accept.

I just experienced this when I bought the GT2 recently. I made it easy for the seller to accept my (below asking price) offer - offer was not subject to finance or sale of another car or PPI or wife's approval or test drive or whatever. Genuine offer, deposit ready, do you want it or not. Homework confirmed car was a cracker. Still had a PPI done so I knew what I had bought but I already knew 90%.

Having been in the sellers shoes plenty of times, I would happily accept an offer "subject to" but I would let the buyer know it would remain on market until the offer is unconditional, if someone else comes along with an unconditional offer, first guy gets first right of refusal to commit otherwise he misses out.

Same in real estate - an unconditional offer (even at a lower price) always trumps a conditional sale. Otherwise you risk losing both buyers.

I was in a similar situation. Car was interstate and seller accepted a verbal offer from me subject to PPI.

The seller unfortunately was tempted by another offer which was not subject to PPI.

Deal with the other people fell through and the car got relisted. Bought it a couple of months after my original deal.

Totally straight car. Body never had any damage. Engine pulls like a steam train. No stories.

Sometimes the sale doesn't always go smoothly.

The welds in my car in these spots are also a little asymmetrical - I suspect it's more a feature of these 'hand assembled' cars than an indicator of prior damage, although worth a closer look for any prospective buyer.

Thats odd as mine has spot welds on both sides.

• 1 month later...

Hit the market about 10 mins ago.....

He who hesitates...... loses..

A good friend scored that car. 18months of searching....

I have pictures if any one is interested.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1991-Porsche-964-C2-Manual-/321486838244?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item4ada1bd9e4&_uhb=1

Being the Carrera 2...... as KGB said..... it's a unicorn...

The car was registered as part of the deal. Yes I will put some pictures on PFA.

This car came from tassy snapped up by a dealer painted new screen door seals and other bits and bobs. It had an engine overhaul and clutch .

Sold in less than 24hours.

The dealer made a disturbing comment, a good number of cars, Porsches included sells leave the country to Malaysia! !

That car looks clean enough to eat off. What's the mileage on it? The owner must be stoked. If it's not rude to ask, I'd be interested to know if he managed to bargain the price down any - no need to specify the figure, though. 

The car was registered as part of the deal. Yes I will put some pictures on PFA.

This car came from tassy snapped up by a dealer painted new screen door seals and other bits and bobs. It had an engine overhaul and clutch .

Sold in less than 24hours.

The dealer made a disturbing comment, a good number of cars, Porsches included sells leave the country to Malaysia! !

I heard this from another dealer as well.  Said they often fielded calls from KL on cars listed on carsales.com.au.  No idea if it is locals or expats.

There's a Hong Kong based user on Rennlist who woke up one day recently and decided he liked 964s, so went out and immediately snapped up a series of desirable 964s from over the world including a 964 Cup Car with delivery miles, a widebody-turbo-look with custom factory interior, and ?a speedster. Sheesh, think I'll go and hug my C2...

That car looks clean enough to eat off. What's the mileage on it? The owner must be stoked. If it's not rude to ask, I'd be interested to know if he managed to bargain the price down any - no need to specify the figure, though. 

Yes he did there were a few things that needed sorting and he managed a few thousand, what also helped he novated leased the car so saved on some taxes. And yes he plans to keep it at the end of the lease.

The car is having a set of coil over Bilsteins fitted and the cooling fan is being replaced as it had a cracked blade.

Graeme

Archived