Ferrari F80 -Love it hate it? Cannot ignore it

twood

I love it. Function dictating form. Looks like a rip off of red bulls x2010 from grand turismo

Yeah I agrree Bruce... if you're talking concept cars, I'd rather have this ugly duckling... even if it was designed by nuff nuff Vettel...

RedBullx2010b_zps9b17bdbf.jpg

(Can I still brag about going around the Ring in it in 5:04s ?!?! Oh well, too late! :ph34r:  B)  :P )

Yeah I agrree Bruce... if you're talking concept cars, I'd rather have this ugly duckling... even if it was designed by nuff nuff Vettel...

RedBullx2010b_zps9b17bdbf.jpg

(Can I still brag about going around the Ring in it in 5:04s ?!?! Oh well, too late! :ph34r:  B)  :P )

Pretty sure it was designed by Adrian Newey with the wookie possibly just having input on set up, if that is even possible in a virtual racer/imaginary vehicle lol

If we didn’t have regulations the opportunity exists to make a car that would be really quite obscenely fast quick around a lap. But it would be pretty uncomfortable to drive because the G-forces would be so high.

Adrian Newey

Holy gwakomoli. I am a massive Ferrari fan but frankly their cars have been a bit same same and not very edgey the last two decades (yes I do get the irony of a Porsche 911 obsessive saying that considering we have at times changed the air vents and called it a whole new model!).

I subscribe to the Richard Hammond view that super cars should look that they were designed by a nine year old boy to hang up on his bedroom wall. Well Ferrari, mission accomplished! And just 800kg, at last some thinking that instead of getting more powerful you could just get lighter.

I thought Ferrari was losing its way but this is a great initiative and display of cohones. I love it!

I like the thinking but it will never go even close to being produced in any concept.  There is zero vision out of that thing.  If you look the front guards are higher than the windscreen.  It would be like trying to drive a 911 with your head sticking out of the fuel tank.

To my mind it borrows a lot from the i8 - having separated surfaces, hybrid drivetrain.

Driver and passenger are staggered ie fighter style cockpit so both sitting centrally. So high gaurds wouldn't be too much of an issue although it's not going to be too much fun around town in stop go traffic, as good supercars usually are. Rear vission could use video to augment poor actual view but as they used to say about the old Lambos poor rear vision, in something this fast what is behind you isnt an issue lol

Anyway turns out it's not even a Ferrari concept, just a designers idea of where they should go

http://www.topgear.com/au/news/2014/08/29-ferrari-f80-concept/29-ferrari-f80-concept-image-6

Archived