86 3.2l Pricing

Paul Carrera

I am just trying to get an idea of what my car may be worth as I have just received my insurance notice and they have dropped the value down quite a bit.

I have owned the car for around 18 years and it has 120,000 km on the clock and is in excellent original condition with full service history. I have updated the wheels but the originals are in the roof.

The car was new in NZ and I bought it with me when I immigrated in 2007

Thanks Paul

post-1188-0-42302600-1411771923_thumb.jp

Wow you can hardly see the old wheels stored in the roof - surely that impacts the headroom :)

I would be looking for an insurance valuation of at least 50,000, maybe 55,000. Others can give their 2c worth.

Who is the insurer? I would be getting an agreed value on this car.

I'm with Coastr ...... My opinion is it would be somewhere between $50k and $60k .

Also, it should be going up, not down ..... there has been a hike in values of these cars recently ..

I know there is a decent gap there but nothing is simple with these cars .......

Also, it's worth shopping around, not just renewing your policy as things differ greatly between companies ....

Can you give us an idea of the insurance company's figures? ie. Before and after .....

The Chellingworths consignment car sold for $90k with lower kms, Australian delivery. Think you're on the money at $50,000/$60,000. Beware underinsuring. The catch being they will deduct the underinsured amount, ie $10,000, from the underinsured payout. In other words you will suffer double the shortfall. Its cheap to over-insure in comparison.

I originally had mine insured for $35k and 2 weeks later I asked to raise it to $45k ... all I had to do was send 2 x photos to show the condition and I had the approval and paperwork emailed to me that afternoon ..... cost me $43 extra to raise it ...... no probs, no fuss .... Ryno insurance ...

I originally had mine insured for $35k and 2 weeks later I asked to raise it to $45k ... all I had to do was send 2 x photos to show the condition and I had the approval and paperwork emailed to me that afternoon ..... cost me $43 extra to raise it ...... no probs, no fuss .... Ryno insurance ... '81 SC Aus delivered

Sounds like $55/60K would be required to buy one in todays upward spirally market.A low mileage 3.2 sold recently for fifty thousand POUNDS ( I did not work out the exchange rate ) in the UK.

I would suggest contacting an independant dealer who knows classics for a written appraisal to convince yuor insurer and make sure your policy allows you to retain the wreck if the unthinkable happens.

Regards Pete.

Hey Paul,

Shouldn't be a need to take your car anywhere.

Ring Ryno and Shannons for a quote and they will do everything over the phone. In today's world of convenience, I would find it inconvenient to take my car somewhere .....

But that's me ......

Are you a member of a car club?

How often do you drive it?

Is it stored in a secure locked up garage?

Does it have an immobiliser & alarm?

Things things can help reduce a premium, not all insurers will ask the questions or credit you for them though. Shop around and get it insured for what you'd need to adequately replace it - without getting reamed!

Thanks for the replies everyone Suncorp had stuck it down to $34k

anyone know were I could get a accurate valuation in the sunshine coast, Qld or would I have to go to Brisbane

A fellow coast Porsche ! Ha, if you want a value drive it around to my place, I'll give you a valuation!

No need for a valuation. Ring Shannons and get a quote. It's a much better policy than a standard car policy. I have agreed value with Shannon's with choice of repairer and a policy to hand over the wreck in case of write off. All for $550/yr

Shannon's know what the value of these cars are. If they don't agree with your requested value they will tell you how to get a valuer - there is no point in getting a value yourself, because they'll only accept a value from someone on their panel of values anyway.

A fellow coast Porsche ! Ha, if you want a value drive it around to my place, I'll give you a valuation!

Do you also offer a " We'll come to you" service?

Maybe you could offer your services to the insurance companies that insist on this before they'll insure us .....

You could also promote it with " We guarantee to be there within 30 minutes of the agreed time, or you get a 50% discount" .......

Let us know how you go ...... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is insured with Lumley Special Vehicles which Ive used for twenty years (they've changed their name in that time but Ive forgotten their previous name)-their service, valuation and premium cost has always been better with Shannons. Agreed value is fine, they reduce the premium by risk management if you don't drive it to work etc, but it has to be garaged and have an immobiliser.

Ive had two major claims in that period-both settled without a problem by my preferred panel shop, both times I had additional body work done and there was no problem with me paying the difference.

Archived