Porsche Tragic

DJM

My Mum dug up my year 7 journal and a few assignments from high school.

Low and behold, several Porsche entires in the journal and a full year 11 assignment in 1987 on Porsche cars - history, models, performance, price, pictures etc. Even a feature on the "amazing 959". Oh dear, embarrassing to look back on but I did discover that a 930 and 928S were around $220,000 in 1987....!

I'd forgotten the assignments but it's no surprise as I recall posters of 3.2 Carrera and 928S and 930 amongst countach, 512BB etc on the bedroom wall. The 930 was my favourite with amazing performance, low 5s to 100. So to own a GT2 some 27 years later is a nice follow on from the assignment . My teacher would be proud!

Any others want to share their embarrassing tales of childhood porsche worship?

I used to "imagine" as hard as I could how cool it would be if Dad had one and dropped me at school in it.

I feel quietly proud dropping the kids off at school/kinder in it now...  And the bug has bitten 6yo Billy, he has $923.87 in his GT2RS Savings Account!  Sorry Doug, he thinks the GT2 is a bit slow!  

I tried to make a 911 in year 7 woodwork, slightly recognisable so potentially a small success?

Funny you mention the prices, I was going through the documents I received with the 964 and included was the original sales brochure that listed all the new prices for each model. Almost fainted when I saw the price for the 928, that's like a zillion dollars in today's money.

(No wonder people spat on the rich ba#tards!!!!!)

Sorry Doug, he thinks the GT2 is a bit slow!

He could well be right, happy to take him for a blast in the name of research. Mine is 100hp up on standard so that might be sufficient for him....? Might help him to accurately set the budget he needs to save towards.

At least he's keen - my 2 daughters get embarrassed in it and hate the acceleration and noise so they stay away.

I've always loved them. Dad had one. probably why. He had his optioned out 924 from pretty much new. so when i was a kid, the car was something. Kids at school didn't believe me that 'dad has a porsche' So i got him to take me to school once. 

I made a 911 out of clay for my Year 7 project. From my memory, I really didn't do a good job of it.

Reminds me of a yr 7 art project of mine.   Not a Porsche though,  I made a clay FJ, 35 years later i'm still working on clay Holdens.

I'll share something embarrassing - I didn't like Porsches at all.  My mate loved 911's so I figure that was taken & liked Lotus instead :)  Things didn't change for me until I sat in & drove one for the first time.  That was the end of it for me...

• 2 weeks later...

Growing up in overseas I never thought I could ever afford a 911

standing at the newsagent (too poor to buy) flipping through Road and Track and Car and Driver, reading through reviews of 911's vs 308's etc etc.

It's been a 35 year dream to get one... 

I still walk up to mine with a smile and half can't believe she's mine.

I'll share something embarrassing - I didn't like Porsches at all.  My mate loved 911's so I figure that was taken & liked Lotus instead :)  Things didn't change for me until I sat in & drove one for the first time.  That was the end of it for me...

This is how my journey started as well. It was my brother in law who lusted after them but like you I didn't like them until I sat in and drove one I was instantly hooked. The rest is history.

I was and still am a huge Alpine A110 fan having had a chance to ride in a 1973 works car , sideways around a trotting track...yahooo, about the same time a Friend of my dads turned up at in a 911 2ltr T and i was smitten, I even managed to identify the tyre track left on the dirt road away from the farm.....sad....

My choice to buy my first 911 (1985) was head choice I wanted a car a cross between... wait for this a Lotus Elan and a Pug 504, toughness of the Pug and performance of the Elan. both these cars I owned at the time. what did I buy , by shear happen stance a 2.4S and for silly cheap money. sod sob.... At the Time I knew the car was special and with a friend who owned a 246 Dino , there were a few 1973 Sports Car World moments, one memorable event was a spirited drive up the Putty road, Red Dino and Viper Green 2.4S. lockupable madness by todays nanny state standards.

I fell in with the wrong (different??) Motoring crowd and got smitten by Italian cars, so the 2.4S went and 25 years of Maseratis followed.

The Italian affair was great experience and a total restoration of a rare Maser (421 made) was just, as I imagine an affair to be, wonderfully exciting, tumultuous but emotionally draining.

Last year I was sent a video about this fellow by the name of Magnus Walker.

You guessed it I ended the Italian affair, which was quite emotional as I image affairs are when they end .

Cashed up a Porsche was all I wanted and again it was an informed decision, and Serena the Arena Red 993 Carrera S, duly named due to her wide hips by the Guys a Cairns MCPC, now lives in the garage with... yep a Lotus Elan Sprint (one owner).

A clear road, Serena on full noise, Fleetwood Mac loud , make it difficult to see where the road turns... do I qualify......

Archived