Visiting Brisbane from Los Angeles, CA USA 05-11 December

Hey all, I'm visiting Brisbane 05 December to 11 December for a movie I'm working on, "Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (yes 5). We'll keep making those movies as long as we make money.  Anyway, I'll be there for the 1st time ever.  I understand that you have a "Coffee and Cars" get together on Saturday 06 December.  I'd love to attend. I'll  have a rental car.  I have an 84 Euro Targa meaning it has supposedly 231 HP, with or without the California SMOG junk.  I'm not sure where I'll be staying but its somewhere in the Oxenford area.  BTW, Al (Quozl) from Pelican Parts clued me into this site. And has been a great help.   Looking for some friends in AU. Email me at hugh.rose@disney.com

Hey all, I'm visiting Brisbane 05 December to 11 December for a movie I'm working on, "Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (yes 5). We'll keep making those movies as long as we make money.  Anyway, I'll be there for the 1st time ever.  I understand that you have a "Coffee and Cars" get together on Saturday 06 December.  I'd love to attend. I'll  have a rental car.  I have an 84 Euro Targa meaning it has supposedly 231 HP, with or without the California SMOG junk.  I'm not sure where I'll be staying but its somewhere in the Oxenford area.  BTW, Al (Quozl) from Pelican Parts clued me into this site. And has been a great help.   Looking for some friends in AU. Email me at hugh.rose@disney.com

Hugh, welcome! Oxenford is down the Gold Coast. about 60km away from Cars and Coffee. Google Map. There are some members who make the drive up from the coast, maybe you can organise to meet up and have them show you the way (although it's a straight forward run). Actually, maybe someone could show you a more interesting run that up the freeway.

Coffee n Cars is a great morning, lots of friendly folks, lots of different cars. 

This is a long way to come for less than a week!

Come and make one in Melbourne Hugh and we'll get a group together.  Be warned, my wife may want to meet Jack Sparrow though.

I'm sure the members up in Qld will get make you feel welcome.  Enjoy the trip.

Hugh, great to have you on board.  As others have told you, Oxenford is about 60km south of brisbane - budget for an hour maximum to get to where the Cars and Coffee is.   I'd say by the sound of it you'll be at the movie studios where Movie World is co-located.  So you'll wanting to get up early and leave about 6:30 am to make it.

Definitely make the trip if you can, you might want to budget a few more hours afterwards to have a look at Brisbane itself - I'm sure some of the local Porsche guys will show you a few spots worth checking out.  The Cars and Coffee location is pretty close in to the centre of Brisbane (the 'downtown' as you might call it, though it's nothing like downtown LA).  You'll have great fun driving on the 'wrong' side of the car and road.  See if you can score a Commodore for your rental car, they're the most entertaining thing you can get in a normal rental pool.

I'd welcome you myself but I'll be flying in the other direction and in your country while you're in mine.

BTW I used to go surfing in LA with a guy who worked for Disney animation studios.  I always told him he had the best job on earth. He didn't ever contradict me!

Hi Hugh, if you get a chance you have to make your way down to Vic sometime, even if it is another time your in Oz. We have some great windy roads down here and beautiful scenery. An amazing experience from behind the wheel of a Porsche enjoy your trip here.

Pam

Thanks all.  I'll be in Wellington, NZ for another movie "Pete's Dragon" the week before.  I'm stopping by Pirates 5 since I'll be "In the Neighborhood".  We start principal photography in February.  Looking forward to it.

Hugh, Welcome to PFA and a Big welcome to Brisvegas! Looking forward to having you attend Cars and Coffee Brisbane.

At that hour in the morning should only be 20 minutes up the freeway from oxenford. Lots to do and see around town at that time of year.

Check out the beach in the middle of the city while your here as well. Hope you like your Coffee strong! And remember to try a Toastie.

Cheers Theo Z...........

Samios Foods.

Hi Hugh, I live down on the Gold Coast and I would offer you a spare seat to cars and coffee but unfortunately I won't be in the country on the 6th :( It will be about a 45 min drive from Oxenford to cars and coffee. I highly recommend checking it out. Russ (the event organiser) has a targa also so you will be in good company :)

Hi Hugh, As mentioned over on the bird, if you want a lift up, it's not too far out my way to come get you. Unfortunately I wont be able to give you the full tour of our city, if you come with me, it will be cars n coffee, then I'll have to drop you back home, as I have family commitments in the afternoon.

Some one may be able to tag team me, if I get you there, they take you out for a drive in the afternoon.

Anyhoo look forward to meeting you.

That would be great if you could pick me up.  At 06:30 or so I don't really want to be figuring out where I'm trying to go in a right-hand drive rental.  I'll post here where I'll be staying as soon as I know.

Great to see you made it over here Hugh,

John thanks for bringing him up, I'm sure we can organise a lift back down the coast for him after showing him the sights in Brisbane and maybe a few of us can take him out to lunch along the river or something. Marti will probably be brining a new ride on the day so we'll be in two different cars anyway I can always run him back down the coast afterwards if no one else is heading in that direction.

Cheers Al

Great to see you made it over here Hugh,

John thanks for bringing him up, I'm sure we can organise a lift back down the coast for him after showing him the sights in Brisbane and maybe a few of us can take him out to lunch along the river or something. Marti will probably be brining a new ride on the day so we'll be in two different cars anyway I can always run him back down the coast afterwards if no one else is heading in that direction.

Cheers Al

Al maybe a trip up Mt Nebo or Mt Tamborine for lunch for some twisty action…..

Just a suggestion, given the time of year it might be a bit cooler and of course it would be cooler :ph34r:

Sounds like a great plan Mike, we might be early enough to miss some of the traffic as well.

I'll leave it up to you guys to decide which way and plan the route as you and Russ have done them before, with Hugh R staying down the coast during his visit maybe Tamborine but I'm happy with either.

Other than that the other option I was thinking was maybe Merthyr bowls club on the river at New Farm, they have a great BBQ for lunch on Saturdays.

Though I think the twisties drive and then lunch on route is a better option after the Cars and Coffee, Whichever way you choose, you have to pick some of the best roads to show him

Cheers Al

Archived